Can't open the message file - it's gone!
Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 19, 2008

This is the message I suddenly get from Microsoft Outlook 2003 when I try to Send/Receive. I am online writing this, but Outlook has packed up for some reason.

In the back of my mind I know this particular laptop has just passed its 3-year guarantee, and has been giving me some nasty little warning signs over the last few months leading up to cutoff date, curse it, but never anything life-threatening.

I see there are various postings about this on Internet, but nothing
... See more
This is the message I suddenly get from Microsoft Outlook 2003 when I try to Send/Receive. I am online writing this, but Outlook has packed up for some reason.

In the back of my mind I know this particular laptop has just passed its 3-year guarantee, and has been giving me some nasty little warning signs over the last few months leading up to cutoff date, curse it, but never anything life-threatening.

I see there are various postings about this on Internet, but nothing specific to Outlook.

Any suggestions gratefully received, thanks.

Mervyn
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 03:30
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Possible simple solution Jun 19, 2008

Hi,

Please follow the instruction in here
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/microsoft-office/fix-your-broken-outlook-personal-folders-pst-file/

If this won't help there might be another measures worth taking.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't fix it Jun 20, 2008

Thanks Shai, but I'm afraid it didn't work.

I followed all the instructions. It told me I had a few errors, I hit repair, and it says it's repaired, but incomings still don't come in, with the same error message.

I had a good look at more stuff on the Geek site, but that seems to be the most specific.

??

Best regards,

Mervyn

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
It is probably a server problem Jun 20, 2008

Well from the sound of it it sounds like you have a problem with the messages on the server. I am assuming that you are connecting to the server through POP3.

Try this, close outlook and then login to your mail account through the webmail interface. check all the messages, print or wrote down any important information (or just forward the messages to another mail account if you have one), than just delete all the messaged from the server, log out, close you browser and try again to
... See more
Well from the sound of it it sounds like you have a problem with the messages on the server. I am assuming that you are connecting to the server through POP3.

Try this, close outlook and then login to your mail account through the webmail interface. check all the messages, print or wrote down any important information (or just forward the messages to another mail account if you have one), than just delete all the messaged from the server, log out, close you browser and try again to check your mail with outlook. Since the server is empty you won't receive any messages of course but just try to find out if outlook logs in without errors. If so, send yourself a test message (preferably from another mail account).
I hope this will help.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No again Jun 20, 2008

Hi Shai,

I did all that, but no. I initially thought there was no immediate crisis since I could check my mail on Internet anyway, but there were no new ones this morning, which isn't normal, so I thought Oh no, there aren't any messages coming in ANYWHERE.

However, just before I deleted them all to your instructions, I did see two new messages, so at least they appear to be coming in via webmail.

I've also tried to follow Microsoft's official troubleshooti
... See more
Hi Shai,

I did all that, but no. I initially thought there was no immediate crisis since I could check my mail on Internet anyway, but there were no new ones this morning, which isn't normal, so I thought Oh no, there aren't any messages coming in ANYWHERE.

However, just before I deleted them all to your instructions, I did see two new messages, so at least they appear to be coming in via webmail.

I've also tried to follow Microsoft's official troubleshooting, but some of it I don't understand, frankly, for I'm a translator, not a boffin!

I'll try to do something about it a little later.

Mervyn
Collapse

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
don't give up Jun 20, 2008

HI again,

Well, since I don't have any new solution right now (I will need to think about it a little further) let me ask you some questions.
1) What is the number of the error message (if you know it)?
2) Have you tried to create a clean mail account in OUTLOOK (backup your current PST file first)?
3) Is OUTLOOK is a must for you or will you consider using another email client?
4) Try to send some test messages to yourself (from other mail account) so you wi
... See more
HI again,

Well, since I don't have any new solution right now (I will need to think about it a little further) let me ask you some questions.
1) What is the number of the error message (if you know it)?
2) Have you tried to create a clean mail account in OUTLOOK (backup your current PST file first)?
3) Is OUTLOOK is a must for you or will you consider using another email client?
4) Try to send some test messages to yourself (from other mail account) so you will be able to verily that you see and can access it from at least your webmail interface.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Questions Jun 20, 2008

Hello again Shai,

1) It's error 0x800CCC90.

2) I tried to make a clean mail account from instructions on the web somewhere, but it didn't change anything.

3) Outlook is not a must, no, but I'm extremely used to it.

4) The webmail works, so I can still operate OK - strangely, it seems to have cut out all the junk.

Thanks a lot!!!!

Best regards,

Mervyn

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Another possible solution Jun 20, 2008

It might be that the server requires authentication, or it might not require it but your Outlook tries to connect this way.
To configure the authentication settings please follow these instructions (with screenshots):
http://www.freeemailtutorials.com/microsoftOutlook2003/emailAccountsOptions/outgoingServerSettings.cwd
... See more
It might be that the server requires authentication, or it might not require it but your Outlook tries to connect this way.
To configure the authentication settings please follow these instructions (with screenshots):
http://www.freeemailtutorials.com/microsoftOutlook2003/emailAccountsOptions/outgoingServerSettings.cwd

or just (Same thing just without screenshots)
1. Open Outlook 2003->Tools->”Email Account”->”view or change existing e-mail accounts ”->”Next”->choose your POP3 account->click “Change..”

2. On the Email Account, check “Log on using secure Password Authentication(SPA)”.

If you there please verify that your user name and password are set correctly in outlook.

On a more general note maybe you should contact your ISP (if you use their mailbox) or your mailbox provider and notify them about your problem Which mail service do you use?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't open the message file - it's gone!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »