https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/108197-cant_install_downloaded_updates_or_programs.html

Can't install downloaded updates or programs
Thread poster: Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:23
French to English
Jun 19, 2008

I can't install any new downloaded programs or updates on my laptop computer.

I have windows vista and have made sure that all antiviruses and firewallls are off. When I click to open any downloaded .exe file or update file and "run as administrator" I get an error message saying that .exe has stopped working.

This includes my AVG antivirus for instance which has stopped updating automatically and I and I can't install a new downloaded version. No other .exe file wor
... See more
I can't install any new downloaded programs or updates on my laptop computer.

I have windows vista and have made sure that all antiviruses and firewallls are off. When I click to open any downloaded .exe file or update file and "run as administrator" I get an error message saying that .exe has stopped working.

This includes my AVG antivirus for instance which has stopped updating automatically and I and I can't install a new downloaded version. No other .exe file works either.
Otherwise all email functions work OK

Help very gratefully received
Collapse

Percy Balemans (X)
Percy Balemans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Could be a virus Jun 19, 2008

I had a similar problem years ago and it turned out it was caused by a virus which disabled all .exe files. It was solved very easily by changing a registry setting. Try searching the Microsoft website or anti-virus websites for more info.

Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem still unsolved Jun 19, 2008

Thanks for you suggestion butl I have wasted a day and still cant' find a solution. My outdated AVG couldn't find a virus. I disinstalled AVG to try to reinstall AVG 8 but got the same error message "
"Setup.exe has stopped working A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
available." I get the same error message with all downloaded programs so now have no antivirus at all.
I cleaned up my registry wit
... See more
Thanks for you suggestion butl I have wasted a day and still cant' find a solution. My outdated AVG couldn't find a virus. I disinstalled AVG to try to reinstall AVG 8 but got the same error message "
"Setup.exe has stopped working A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
available." I get the same error message with all downloaded programs so now have no antivirus at all.
I cleaned up my registry with registry cleaner to no avail and have searched the net where lots of people seem to have similar problems.

Extreme gratitude for anyone who can tell me what is wrong!!
Collapse

shasas
shasas  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Could be a feature... Jun 20, 2008

...that's bugging you.

Have you already checked Microsoft's help site and FAQ on the "Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available" problem?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't install downloaded updates or programs

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »