corel ventura 5 is killing me...
Thread poster: Cagri Aras
Cagri Aras
Cagri Aras  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:14
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jun 16, 2008

i have a set of ventura 5 files to be translated, and all I got is a copy of ventura 10 but it does not even open this older version.

even so, ventura 10 won't save in xml or any other usable format to be used for machine translation.

i contacted the guys at tagwrite and i'm waiting for their evalution.

i've also read about "s-tagger for ventura" which is nowhere to be found.

any conversion from ventura > framemaker, word, xml... would just be
... See more
i have a set of ventura 5 files to be translated, and all I got is a copy of ventura 10 but it does not even open this older version.

even so, ventura 10 won't save in xml or any other usable format to be used for machine translation.

i contacted the guys at tagwrite and i'm waiting for their evalution.

i've also read about "s-tagger for ventura" which is nowhere to be found.

any conversion from ventura > framemaker, word, xml... would just be fine.

does anyone have any experience on this?
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:14
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There is no story collector for Ventura Jun 17, 2008

Ventura (newer versions, the 8 at least has this) has some kind of "story collector" integrated. It can export and import "stories" on its own.
But I'm afraid you will have to get the original application in order to get these files translated. Any downgrading or converting from other applications will end in disaster. Remember, this version of Ventura is now some 10 years old.

BR
Jerzy

PS
I still own a copy of Corel Ventura 4.2 - if this would help so
... See more
Ventura (newer versions, the 8 at least has this) has some kind of "story collector" integrated. It can export and import "stories" on its own.
But I'm afraid you will have to get the original application in order to get these files translated. Any downgrading or converting from other applications will end in disaster. Remember, this version of Ventura is now some 10 years old.

BR
Jerzy

PS
I still own a copy of Corel Ventura 4.2 - if this would help somehow, I could try to install it.
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:14
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
External text save Jun 17, 2008

It's been some time since I've seen CV 5...

I am afraid that conversion as such is not likely - DTP formats in general are not very transferable...

One possible option I see is to change the options in such a way that the text (text frame contents, to be exact) are saved in external txt files. You still have some tags (maybe lots of them!), but at least this is manageable... After you translate those files, they will automatically update the

Of course, you
... See more
It's been some time since I've seen CV 5...

I am afraid that conversion as such is not likely - DTP formats in general are not very transferable...

One possible option I see is to change the options in such a way that the text (text frame contents, to be exact) are saved in external txt files. You still have some tags (maybe lots of them!), but at least this is manageable... After you translate those files, they will automatically update the

Of course, you still need access to Ventura 5 to do this.
Collapse

Cagri Aras
Cagri Aras  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:14
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jun 18, 2008

thanks for the comments, i am in contact with a professional regarding this matter, i'll get back in case something useful comes out of it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

corel ventura 5 is killing me...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »