Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:45
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I have hit that problem now Jun 7, 2008

There is absolutely no way of finding out the passkey.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Of course there is a way to change it Jun 7, 2008

You just need to get into the setup of your wireless router and change the passkey.
Maybe you should let your IT guy leave you all those passwords and keys noted somwhere for future reference next time

Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
French to English
Keyboard changes Jun 8, 2008

For future reference as you have solved the problem

One of the possible reasons why the computer didn't recognize your name and password is that after your french visit these two words had to be typed in using a French keyboard or using the equivalent keys to a French keyboard. That is why they worked again after you reprogrammed your computer to before.

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 8, 2008

Perhaps this information about the keyboard will be useful for someone else with the same problem in future who reads this thread.

Astrid

magic magic
magic magic
China
Local time: 06:45
English to Chinese
+ ...
learned Jun 9, 2008

although I've not such problems, I learned.

Thorson
Thorson
Danish to English
In the future... Jun 9, 2008

I recommend that you do an image backup of your drive at least once a week. I use Drive Image XML myself, which is free and works great.

That way if you have a problem, you can simply restore a recent image which will create the whole drive exactly as it was.

I personally don't think it's necessary to use a password login in a private environment where there is no one you need to prevent accessing your computer.

It's easy to crack Windows passwords (Hak5 d
... See more
I recommend that you do an image backup of your drive at least once a week. I use Drive Image XML myself, which is free and works great.

That way if you have a problem, you can simply restore a recent image which will create the whole drive exactly as it was.

I personally don't think it's necessary to use a password login in a private environment where there is no one you need to prevent accessing your computer.

It's easy to crack Windows passwords (Hak5 describes it in one of their shows), so Windows password protection is not going to stop a thief who wants to access the data on your stolen computer.

If you have data you want to protect, use TrueCrypt to create an encrypted directory and no one will be able to access it. It's also useful for protecting data on USB keys (I always store all my records and important data on a USB key, encrypted with TrueCrypt. The encrypted drive appears as a single file--easy to backup--simply copy the file--and it can't be accessed without the password.)

On routers, you just hold down the reset button to reset everything, including the password, back to the factory settings. You login to the router with 192.168.0.1 or similar--just follow the manual--to set the password for the router and for the wireless connection.

[Edited at 2008-06-09 12:55]
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have Acronis True Image on my computer Jun 9, 2008

The backups are on my external hard disk (the F: drive). However, the notebook did not accept the F: drive when I connected it up.

Yes, I agree with you, Thorson, that at home it is a load of nonsense to have a password anyway. However, the notebook does travel, which is the main purpose of a notebook. Nevertheless, I do not doubt that anyone who is computer savvy could quickly crack their way into it.

Thanks for the tip on how to reset the router. I would then, however
... See more
The backups are on my external hard disk (the F: drive). However, the notebook did not accept the F: drive when I connected it up.

Yes, I agree with you, Thorson, that at home it is a load of nonsense to have a password anyway. However, the notebook does travel, which is the main purpose of a notebook. Nevertheless, I do not doubt that anyone who is computer savvy could quickly crack their way into it.

Thanks for the tip on how to reset the router. I would then, however, have to set it up fresh and, until I had successfully done so, would not get back into the Internet with my main computer either. In the meantime I would have no Internet access to read about what to do next, if I could not get back in. I live in the country, where "if it doesn't get done today, it'll get done tomorrow", and would not necessarily be able to get any kind of computer guy to come and restore my Internet access the same week. That would put my entire business at risk. It happened last year.

Astrid
Collapse

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 05:45
English to Indonesian
+ ...
live rescue cd Jun 10, 2008

next time, hopefully there will be no next time, you can try ophcrack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophcrack) to reveal your password, just in case you forgot it. or hiren (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiren's_boot_CD) to reset the password.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 16:45
English to Spanish
No password. Jun 10, 2008

And just press Enter. That's the way technicians do it.

It might appear you name on the ID user; no matter, you just push enter (with no password).

Thorson
Thorson
Danish to English
A little more info Jun 11, 2008

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

Thanks for the tip on how to reset the router. I would then, however, have to set it up fresh and, until I had successfully done so, would not get back into the Internet with my main computer either. In the meantime I would have no Internet access to read about what to do next, if I could not get back in. I live in the country, where "if it doesn't get done today, it'll get done tomorrow", and would not necessarily be able to get any kind of computer guy to come and restore my Internet access the same week. That would put my entire business at risk. It happened last year.

Astrid

For Drive Image XML you create a Bart's PE boot disk which is basically a small windows operating system on a cd which has the USB drivers you need to recognize an external drive, along with Drive Image XML and other programs you may need. You can even access the internet while running the os from the Bart's cd. This also allows the total drive restore, including operating system, but you'll need a geek to make the Bart disk for you and show you how to use it.

Most wireless routers also have jacks for a wired connection, and these don't require setup--just run the wire to the network jack on your computer, or you can just bypass the router and plug the wire from your broadband modem directly into your computer so you can download your routers setup program.

While you have a connection, it would be a good idea to download and save all the key setup programs, like your router setup, onto a cd or dvd so you have them in one place in case of emergency.

Also, there are numerous geeks out there who provide free support online or by phone (might be hard to understand, but a lot of us have fun doing it--you might want to search out a few and keep the numbers handy.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot get into second computer (notebook) any more

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »