https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/107080-kudoz_toolbar_reinstallation_problems.html

Kudoz toolbar reinstallation problems
Thread poster: Claire Cox
Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:56
French to English
+ ...
Jun 5, 2008

Hello,

I've just posted a support request for this problem, but thought I'd mention it here too in case anyone else has come across the same issue.

I've been using the Kudoz toolbar with very few problems (other than it wouldn't let me open new tabs when the children sent me files via msn, but I could live with that!). This morning, I had a problem with a new spyware manager which appeared from nowhere. I managed to remove it, but then thought I'd do a check with my ex
... See more
Hello,

I've just posted a support request for this problem, but thought I'd mention it here too in case anyone else has come across the same issue.

I've been using the Kudoz toolbar with very few problems (other than it wouldn't let me open new tabs when the children sent me files via msn, but I could live with that!). This morning, I had a problem with a new spyware manager which appeared from nowhere. I managed to remove it, but then thought I'd do a check with my existing spyware scanner, spybot. It brought up a number of spyware/adware files, which I then deleted. One of them was the "cram toolbar", which turns out to have been my kudoz toolbar, although I naturally hadn't recognised the name.

When I try to reinstall the Kudoz toolbar, my antivirus software (Avast) sends an alert telling me it's adware and it doesn't give me any option to allow it. Even putting it as an exclusion doesn't help. I find the toolbar really useful and will miss it if I can't download it.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Claire
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:56
Russian to English
+ ...
What Kudoz toolbar? Jun 5, 2008

I didn't know there was a Kudoz toolbar, and I don't see it listed. How did you find it?

Susan'

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not sure where it is on the site... Jun 5, 2008

... but if you type Kudoz toolbar into google, you come up with a link which should enable you to install it. It then just lives on your normal internet browser page and is really useful to quickly type in search terms without having to go through the whole site. If you can download it, of course.... I've been using it it for several years so I'll be bereft if I can't have it!

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found it Jun 5, 2008

Ah, found it. If you click on Proz term search, there's a link on the left hand side of the page which says "Kudoz web browser toolbar" - that's where you can download it.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Outcome Jun 9, 2008

Just thought I'd add a note in case anyone else experiences problems with this in the future.

Apparently this is a known problem with Avast, but the Proz support team suggested I double-clicked on the Avast icon to get the "On access scanner" window, then click on "Standard shield" (may need to scroll down the left-hand side to find it), then "Customize", then "Advanced" and add the fies or directories not to be scanned. I found I needed to enter the individual file paths, not just
... See more
Just thought I'd add a note in case anyone else experiences problems with this in the future.

Apparently this is a known problem with Avast, but the Proz support team suggested I double-clicked on the Avast icon to get the "On access scanner" window, then click on "Standard shield" (may need to scroll down the left-hand side to find it), then "Customize", then "Advanced" and add the fies or directories not to be scanned. I found I needed to enter the individual file paths, not just the overall directory, for it to work.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz toolbar reinstallation problems

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »