Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:00
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
May 28, 2008

I know that this problem has been discussed in the past in various other posts. But so far I could not find a solution there.

The thing is, my spellchecker does actually work fine in normal word documents. But here I´m working in a document, that is also word (somehow), but is a special format of a client of mine, with their own TM incorporated in it.

This might sound a bit confusing. As I said spellcheck does work in normal word docs, but not in this particular forma
... See more
I know that this problem has been discussed in the past in various other posts. But so far I could not find a solution there.

The thing is, my spellchecker does actually work fine in normal word documents. But here I´m working in a document, that is also word (somehow), but is a special format of a client of mine, with their own TM incorporated in it.

This might sound a bit confusing. As I said spellcheck does work in normal word docs, but not in this particular format.

I´ve tried all the usual stuff, marking all the text, marking only the translated part of the text (German in that case), going to tools, language, setting German as the language to be used, unticking the boxes which say "don´t check grammar and spelling" and "detect language automatically, etc...... I did all that in various combinations, but nothing seems to work. I know that there are typos in the document, which, if I type them in a blank word doc, are recognized by the spell check immediately.

Does anyone have any other ideas. I´d be very grateful, since I´m really at a loss.

Manuela
Collapse

MGL
MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Russian to English
are you using Trados? May 28, 2008

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you mean, but...

I get this with documents sometimes, and a little message in the lower right hand corner that says a Tag or some sort of Protector is ON. What I have to do is go into Tools, then Templates, and remove the check from the box next to Trados. Just remember to tick the box again when you want to use your TM.

Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Megan May 28, 2008

Thanks for your reply.

No, it´s not Trados. It´s a proprietary CAT-tool/TM of that particular client, embedded in a word document. There´s no message in the right hand corner and I also tried your tool - template - uncheck Trados option. Unfortunately it didn´t help. No wonder, it´s not Trados after all. But in the meantime I´m happy to try everything to make the spellcheck work in that particular format..

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

spellcheck doesn´t work

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »