Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86] >
Corona quarantine diary
Autor de la hebra: Mervyn Henderson

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
España
Local time: 19:15
español a inglés
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Alexandra Mar 15

You try singing in tune with all them druuuuugs coursing through your veins, baby!!

España
español a inglés
+ ...
@Baran Mar 15

Andrew Morris deal? (suddenly sniffing $$$$$$$$$$$$, forgetting all about the tearjerking stuff before) What was that?

Many thanks, Baran, but yes, I imagine they have copyright. I suppose. I'd like to think Henry would have the good grace to waive rights if I got the chance to publish anything, but hey. Nobody contracted me to write about the barstids. My hole. My hole what I dug. But I enjoyed myself digging it, too.

[Edited at 2021-03-15 20:00 GMT]

Baran Keki
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
Chris S
P.L.F.Persio

España
español a inglés
+ ...
Waterhole vouchers Mar 16

You may remember I mentioned the 5 euro and 10 euro bar vouchers they've brought out here, worth 10 euros and 20 euros respectively. I tried to buy them yesterday online, but it wasn't operational until 4 pm, and I forgot. This morning I was put in a virtual queue, and this afternoon again. Most of Bilbao seems to be online doing it!

When I finally got through, I was told that the bar I wanted to buy the voucher for (because you have to specify) had exceeded its booking quota. I su
... See more
You may remember I mentioned the 5 euro and 10 euro bar vouchers they've brought out here, worth 10 euros and 20 euros respectively. I tried to buy them yesterday online, but it wasn't operational until 4 pm, and I forgot. This morning I was put in a virtual queue, and this afternoon again. Most of Bilbao seems to be online doing it!

When I finally got through, I was told that the bar I wanted to buy the voucher for (because you have to specify) had exceeded its booking quota. I suppose that means there's a limit for each bar, because otherwise the entire city could turn up there at once.

But I had been put in the queue so many times by then I couldn't be bothered trying again. And it's an annoying virtual queue, too - the clock countdown starts at 1:10, and when it gets to 0:00 and you're thinking, Right, here we go, it just blinks and goes back to 1:10 again. Great.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

Chris S  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
sueco a inglés
+ ...
Making waves Mar 16

This sounds eerily like Boris Johnson’s “Eat out to help out” plan last year to boost hospitality which successfully ushered in the New Wave.

For months, everyone has been getting mullets and wearing white stilettos.

Mervyn Henderson
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F.Persio

España
español a inglés
+ ...
Boris Mar 16

I can just hear those fruity tones encouraging the nation to wine and die at the Dog and Duck, the Bricklayer's Arms, the Fox and Hounds, the Wig and Gown ... and let's not forget the Daff and Leek. And the Kilt and Sporran north of the border. Not to mention the Spud and Shamrock across the sea.

expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F.Persio

España
español a inglés
+ ...
No vouchers Mar 17

I thought it might be better to get those online vouchers at this time of the morning, just after 7, but I find that the two places I wanted vouchers for have reached their limits. Those two were in the Old Town, but looking at one of the bars around here I see that even this district has reached its limit, so that's it, all the good stuff has been snapped up. I suppose the rest of the original 110,000 vouchers are for the bars nobody wants to go to, the dark, dreary, tiny places, the one-man sh... See more
I thought it might be better to get those online vouchers at this time of the morning, just after 7, but I find that the two places I wanted vouchers for have reached their limits. Those two were in the Old Town, but looking at one of the bars around here I see that even this district has reached its limit, so that's it, all the good stuff has been snapped up. I suppose the rest of the original 110,000 vouchers are for the bars nobody wants to go to, the dark, dreary, tiny places, the one-man shows where the man serves you hastily, and then rushes back to the kitchen to keep an eye on the tortilla, or skewer "gildas", and you feel like you're bothering him when you call for something else. Those one-man shows might be getting a huge influx of first-time customers now, though.

What I wrote above, "all the good stuff has been snapped up", is reminiscent of being at the disco aged 14 or 15, when you've spent all your pocket money on cans of Newkie Brown Ale before you got there, so you're wasted, all the hot gals or guys have already gone off to a car park or an alley somewhere, and all that's left are the geeks or geekettes, dressed like your parents. Normally you wouldn't even bother, but they're all that's left, with the added attraction that you don't have to make much of an effort, be hip and amusing, or even buy a round. You'll be sorry next day, and maybe so will the geek or geekess, because those easy no-brainer choices are rarely the best.
Collapse

Chris S
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis

España
español a inglés
+ ...
17 March - St Patrick's Day Mar 17

And a Happy St Patrick's Day to all those Paddies out there (although some of them might have other plans, of course). And even if they're from the North. The British North. That kind of comment annoys us Northerners, you know. It's like we don't have the full equipment. Like we missed out on some exam.

It was never a holiday in the North, 17 March. That was a thing for the "rebels down south". Maybe they've changed it now, I don't know. The only time I ever actually fully celebrate
... See more
And a Happy St Patrick's Day to all those Paddies out there (although some of them might have other plans, of course). And even if they're from the North. The British North. That kind of comment annoys us Northerners, you know. It's like we don't have the full equipment. Like we missed out on some exam.

It was never a holiday in the North, 17 March. That was a thing for the "rebels down south". Maybe they've changed it now, I don't know. The only time I ever actually fully celebrated St Pat's in the North was when I worked in Derry. On the Friday one of the other lecturers at the university told the only non-Catholic teacher on campus, "You know, Monday's St Pat's, and you can go to your Spanish classes if you like, but you'll be talking to an empty room, because there won't be anybody there, lecturers or students or admin staff, even though it's not officially a holiday."

That might sound a little harsh, but they weren't like that really, quite the opposite, in fact, and I never ever had any problems with them, or anyone else in Derry, for that matter, due to "faith" issues. This was the early 90s, though. It would have been different back in the 70s, because there wouldn't have been any question of me teaching there in the 70s in the first place. Even in those early 90s, only two months into the job, I found out quite by chance from one of my students that I'd replaced an Englishman who'd had a home visit from the lads in the dark glasses and balaclavas, wanting to know what an Englishman was doing teaching Cityside. They meant "their" half of the city across the River Foyle, only a mile or so from the border. The other side, Waterside, was Prodland, which, incidentally, although the more "favoured" side, had bugger all - the uni, the shops, the bars, the Town Hall, the old walls, everything, was across the river Cityside. The lads fired a few shots into his ceiling by way of some kind of grim warning, he had a nervous breakdown and took sick leave, and then I came along. I probably didn't fit their bill either, but at least I was from there, and I had the accent.

So that 17 March I didn't go to my lectures, and I celebrated my first ever St Patrick's Day in Northern Ireland in my late twenties. I don't remember too much of what I did, but it involved an awful lot of Guinness.

[Edited at 2021-03-17 08:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-17 08:12 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-17 12:56 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-17 17:40 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F.Persio
Chris S
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis

Milan Condak  Identity Verified
inglés a checo
Two women in Wikipedia Mar 17

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
I particularly liked the way she made “Rainbow Pavlova” rhyme with “Martina Navratilova”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Pavlova

London, Victoria Palace Theatre, rooftop statue of Anna Pavlova

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martina_Navratilova

Prize money US$21,626,089[1]

Grand Slam Singles results
Australian Open W (1981, 1983, 1985)
French Open W (1982, 1984)
Wimbledon W (1978, 1979, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1990)
US Open W (1983, 1984, 1986, 1987)

Grand Slam Singles finals: 32 (18–14)
By winning the 1983 US Open title, Navratilova completed the Career Grand Slam. She became only the seventh female player in history to achieve this.

EN: The male surname "Navrátil" has the meaning (he) returned. Good last name for tennis, right?
CS: Mužské příjmení "Navrátil" má význam (on) navrátil. Dobré příjmení pro tenis, ne?

Milan

Mervyn Henderson
P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

España
español a inglés
+ ...
Situation "serious" Mar 18

That's what Basque President Íñigo Urkullu says. The "Lehendakari" (but we call him the "Lenda" for short) says he can't rule out another confinement across the Basque Country. He has called for people to scale down mobility during the upcoming long weekend starting on Friday, San José, not to mention Easter, just around the corner. But, even if everyone listens to him in Bilbao - which they won't - there's also the matter of the rapid exhaustion of those 110,000 bar vouchers issued by our To... See more
That's what Basque President Íñigo Urkullu says. The "Lehendakari" (but we call him the "Lenda" for short) says he can't rule out another confinement across the Basque Country. He has called for people to scale down mobility during the upcoming long weekend starting on Friday, San José, not to mention Easter, just around the corner. But, even if everyone listens to him in Bilbao - which they won't - there's also the matter of the rapid exhaustion of those 110,000 bar vouchers issued by our Town Hall (also run by his party), so there you have hundreds of people ready to use them, and use them extensively, so the contagion may not be external if he shuts us down, but it might be hugely internal.

As those desperate for business in the hospitality sector say, it's not the bars and restaurants that are playing fast and loose with regulations, it's people. And we regularly hear about clandestine gatherings and parties all over the country. One night on the news I heard that the police had broken up over 400 separate parties in a single night. I don't know whether the 400 was just Madrid, or Spain. But it's hard to remember about masks and social distancing when you and everybody else are rat-arsed and sharing bottled beer and spliffs and rolled-up banknotes for sundry purposes, not to mention smooching and heavy petting and ooh, much more at a party.

Fourth wave, here we come. Or is it the fifth? I'm losing count here. Good job we've got those AstraZeneca vaccines. The ones that have been recalled now due to cases of thrombosis. I just can't understand it, because, although clinical trials usually take forever, we were assured that the "fast track" was 100% safe. Did somebody lie to us? Surely not. Still, we have other options. There's the Chinese vaccine, there's the Russian vaccine. Every bugger has their vaccine. I might do a little research myself on Internet and try and come up with a vaccine myself. Can't be that difficult.

[Edited at 2021-03-18 11:08 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

Chris S  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
sueco a inglés
+ ...
The Oxford vaccine Mar 18

45 hours in and I’m still waiting for my thrombosis, despite a workload and an ex both entirely capable of busting plenty of blood vessels.

Here in the UK we are careful to call the AstraZeneca jab the Oxford Vaccine. To be fair, it was Oxford University that developed it, and AZ are just making it. Or failing to make it. Or making it wrong.

But, no, it’s the Oxford Vaccine because of jingoism. Rule Britannia. We’ve taken our country back and now we’ll show the
... See more
45 hours in and I’m still waiting for my thrombosis, despite a workload and an ex both entirely capable of busting plenty of blood vessels.

Here in the UK we are careful to call the AstraZeneca jab the Oxford Vaccine. To be fair, it was Oxford University that developed it, and AZ are just making it. Or failing to make it. Or making it wrong.

But, no, it’s the Oxford Vaccine because of jingoism. Rule Britannia. We’ve taken our country back and now we’ll show the world what we’re made of. Or make it and then keep it from the rest of the world.

But it does stick in the throat somewhat, calling it the Oxford Vaccine, me being a Cambridge Man. So I like to think of it as the Astra vaccine. I remember working for Astra back when they were still just a fairly small Swedish company and their blockbuster stomach ulcer drug Losec was taking off.

Perhaps I should call it the *** vaccine instead. After all, it was just a little *****.

Edit: Yes, it was a little harsh. But no worse than I've had come my way over the years... Yeah, yeah, two wrongs don't make a right. But sometimes that second wrong makes you feel a lot better.

[Edited at 2021-03-18 12:10 GMT]
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson
P.L.F.Persio
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
Max Jeremiah

España
español a inglés
+ ...
Now, now Mar 18

A little harsh, Chris. Or maybe a big harsh. Certainly an imminent Level 4 or 5, anyway.

But if I were in charge at Oxford University (imagine!!), I would also be furiously backpeddling on responsibility now, after all the triumphant live video feed we had from the UK in recent months, especially with one Spanish researcher there gleefully reporting night after night on the Mother of All Vaccines. Maybe it's a Spanish saying, but how does it go? ... Oh yes - success has many fathers
... See more
A little harsh, Chris. Or maybe a big harsh. Certainly an imminent Level 4 or 5, anyway.

But if I were in charge at Oxford University (imagine!!), I would also be furiously backpeddling on responsibility now, after all the triumphant live video feed we had from the UK in recent months, especially with one Spanish researcher there gleefully reporting night after night on the Mother of All Vaccines. Maybe it's a Spanish saying, but how does it go? ... Oh yes - success has many fathers, whereas failure is an orphan.

[Edited at 2021-03-18 11:47 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F.Persio
Chris S
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis

España
español a inglés
+ ...
Father's Day Mar 19

I reckon that title will do just as well as any other. A public holiday today, but here I am with my nose to the grindstone anyway, doing my translation bit and reporting on the latest scandals, which is what you all like best, I know. Me too.

The latest scandal is a woman in EH-Bildu, the hardline Basque nationalist party here, who got caught nicking the identity of another woman in the same party. Talk about impersonation! - not only did Miren Larrion allegedly steal her purse at
... See more
I reckon that title will do just as well as any other. A public holiday today, but here I am with my nose to the grindstone anyway, doing my translation bit and reporting on the latest scandals, which is what you all like best, I know. Me too.

The latest scandal is a woman in EH-Bildu, the hardline Basque nationalist party here, who got caught nicking the identity of another woman in the same party. Talk about impersonation! - not only did Miren Larrion allegedly steal her purse at the party HQ, but they say she then opened a bank account in the other woman's name, and even had her hair done like the other woman and used the same kind of glasses when she went to the bank. It still seems to be unclear why she did this, especially since she immediately deposited 300 yucks in the account (possibly to implicate her in corruption, since the two didn't see eye to eye).

She was rumbled because, although she'd given a Post Office box number in the account details as her address, along with the other woman's ID card number (in these days of KYC and strong customer authentication, you can just give a bank a post office box number??), but on some document or other she'd also apparently left the other woman's physical address, and the bank sent the other woman a letter to confirm the new account and the 300 yucks.

Of course, the victim rang the bank and said WTF? What account? What 300 yucks?, and the bank rang the police and they set a little trap for Miren, inviting her along to sort out a problem with the account. When she left, the rozzers felt her collar, but even then she insisted she was the other woman, and was carrying all the other woman's documentation. Unfortunately she was also carrying another document with her real name on it.

So one of the party's rising stars seems to have plummeted to earth, which is embarrassing for a party that, as is usually the case with the hard left, spends most of its time moaning about corruption in high places.

The investigation continues ...

[Edited at 2021-03-19 14:32 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-19 14:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-19 16:16 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F.Persio
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis

España
español a inglés
+ ...
Still Father's Day Mar 19

By way of a rest from a crushingly tedious chunk of twottery, here's some more:

Spain's politicians, as usual, are hard at work on what they do best, squabbling. President of Madrid's regional government and Princess of Darkness, Isabel Díaz Ayuso, has been on the box quite a bit lately, staring her sinister stare at TV cameras all over the shop. There was a terrible film back in the day called Night of the Children, something like that, when all the children in a village went zomb
... See more
By way of a rest from a crushingly tedious chunk of twottery, here's some more:

Spain's politicians, as usual, are hard at work on what they do best, squabbling. President of Madrid's regional government and Princess of Darkness, Isabel Díaz Ayuso, has been on the box quite a bit lately, staring her sinister stare at TV cameras all over the shop. There was a terrible film back in the day called Night of the Children, something like that, when all the children in a village went zombie and they all had robotic stares. Well, it's something between that and the Medusa's, her stare.

First she was miffed that the central government had only decreed movement within communities, thereby trapping the good people of Madrid in the community of Madrid for this long weekend and Easter too. Robot Woman went so far as to say she was going to disobey the order and let people travel outside Madrid, but the new central government Health Minister Darias said they wouldn't be able to leave Madrid simply because they wouldn't be allowed into any adjacent regions. And Izzy has also called elections for 4 May (more elections after the Catalan elections recently, that'll help), amid a spate of threatened votes of no confidence in Madrid, Castilla la Mancha and also Murcia.

There have also been a few cases of elected representatives leaving their parties for other parties. Hardest hit seems to be the "Ciudadanos" Citizens party, led by pretty-and-shrill Inés Arrimadas. Ciudadanos is kind of centre-right, but one of the more prominent pinkos said a few years ago its leader was neither on the right nor on the left, but wherever he had to be. He, because young Inés took over a year or so ago from Albert Rivera, who must have got tired of trying to make "Cs" the third force in Spanish politics, and so he left with his singer girlfriend Malú. Maybe he saw the writing on the wall and parachuted out in time, and by the looks of things he was right, with Cs representatives jumping ship all over the place now.

In the Spanish Parliament, it's the usual hullabaloo. One of the pinkos and co-founders of the main pinko party Podemos, bespectacled Harry Potter lookalike Íñigo Errejón, who ditched the pinkos to form an alternative pinko faction, was at the dispatch box deploring the terrible state of healthcare facilities the other day, and as he gathered up his papers after an impassioned speech calling for a more serious attitude to health, and mental health in particular, one of the PP representatives shouted "Go and see a doctor!"

I was going to say that the Spanish are tired of their politicians, but no, they tired of them a long time ago. Now they just ignore them in the same way the politicians ignore them.

[Edited at 2021-03-19 17:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-19 17:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-19 17:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-19 17:39 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

Gerard Barry
Alemania
alemán a inglés
Vaccination Mar 19

Isn't it amazing that, despite the fact that the corona vaccines were developed in record time and that we know that they may have side-effects, people - even young, healthy people - are voluntarily choosing to have the vaccination? I really don't understand how people can allow themselves to be pressurised by government and media into having something injected into their body when they don't know what consequences it might have for them. The chances of a young healthy person getting really ill ... See more
Isn't it amazing that, despite the fact that the corona vaccines were developed in record time and that we know that they may have side-effects, people - even young, healthy people - are voluntarily choosing to have the vaccination? I really don't understand how people can allow themselves to be pressurised by government and media into having something injected into their body when they don't know what consequences it might have for them. The chances of a young healthy person getting really ill from corona are actually quite slim. I for one am in no rush to get "The Vaccine".Collapse

expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 18:15
Miembro 2015
inglés a portugués
+ ...
And still Man's Day Mar 19

Father's Day is also Man's Day for me, so I'd like to share the following with you:

Thank you for being my voice,
Thank you for being there when I need it,
Thank you for being fair and honest,
Thank you for making me laugh so many times,
Thank you for your wise advice, wonderful stories, and for sharing your good and bad experiences/ days in these difficult times,
Thank you for teaching me things I would never learn if it wasn't you,
Thank you for
... See more
Father's Day is also Man's Day for me, so I'd like to share the following with you:

Thank you for being my voice,
Thank you for being there when I need it,
Thank you for being fair and honest,
Thank you for making me laugh so many times,
Thank you for your wise advice, wonderful stories, and for sharing your good and bad experiences/ days in these difficult times,
Thank you for teaching me things I would never learn if it wasn't you,
Thank you for being my colleague/ friend and a part of my life.
So for everything I said thank you for, I promise to keep doing the same for you.

These were some words I wrote to my father, and said to him on the phone today.
They can apply very well to all the Fathers and Men present in this forum and in this thread in particular.
Happy Father's Day!
Happy Man's Day!
Collapse

P.L.F.Persio
Matthias Brombach
Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corona quarantine diary

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within SDL Trados Studio

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Búsqueda de términos
  • Trabajos
  • Foros
  • Multiple search