Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31] >
Corona quarantine diary
Autor de la hebra: Mervyn Henderson

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
España
Local time: 11:24
Miembro
español al inglés
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
@Andrea Jul 5

Hi Andrea, it's been a long time. Sorry to hear about that, but:

Making a determined start on point 3 will definitely improve point 2.
Plus, with three pairs of slippers, no risk of them wearing out with all that stepping. Or sell/exchange two pairs and get a couple of pairs of elastic-waisted trousers until point 3 has sorted that one out.
I don't know what day pyjamas are.
Last point - can't help you there. I ditched all mine years ago when people began to talk
... See more
Hi Andrea, it's been a long time. Sorry to hear about that, but:

Making a determined start on point 3 will definitely improve point 2.
Plus, with three pairs of slippers, no risk of them wearing out with all that stepping. Or sell/exchange two pairs and get a couple of pairs of elastic-waisted trousers until point 3 has sorted that one out.
I don't know what day pyjamas are.
Last point - can't help you there. I ditched all mine years ago when people began to talk.

Meanwhile, I had another post ditched. Simply removed this time, from 27 March on page 11 (the first one they asked me to edit, now removed) was from 12 May, so they're working backwards. That catch-all Rule 1 again. I can't remember what the 27 March post was about, but I'm sure it was cruel / subversive / naughty / distasteful. I suppose the "Cookery Day" posts are next for the chop (pun intended).
Collapse

Chris S
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
expressisverbis
P.L.F.Persio

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
España
Miembro 2008
inglés al español
+ ...
Save the tortilla Jul 5

Hi Mervyn,
Hopefully your tortilla de patatas will survive the censorship (with onion and without chorizo).

Christel Zipfel
expressisverbis
P.L.F.Persio

España
Miembro
español al inglés
+ ...
@Beatriz Jul 6

Thanks, Beatriz. Only one among a million recipes you can find out there if you Google it, but it's the only recipe tolerated at this house.

On the removal of my posts, it occurred to me that I originally posted this as Off-Topic, but it was the site that moved it to the Covid-19 outbreak forum after a while. Which means the problem is not so much straying off the topic, because you can't stray off Off-Topic, as the forays into politics, religion, distastefulness, o
... See more
Thanks, Beatriz. Only one among a million recipes you can find out there if you Google it, but it's the only recipe tolerated at this house.

On the removal of my posts, it occurred to me that I originally posted this as Off-Topic, but it was the site that moved it to the Covid-19 outbreak forum after a while. Which means the problem is not so much straying off the topic, because you can't stray off Off-Topic, as the forays into politics, religion, distastefulness, offensiveness. But not just by me. In that kind of situation everyone pitches in too. So ProZ should really remove the entire thread. I wonder if they're up for that one.
Collapse

expressisverbis
P.L.F.Persio

España
Miembro
español al inglés
+ ...
Second round Jul 6

Galicia is now putting 70,000 people at 14 locations into quarantine again (70,000!!). Just up the coast here in Ordizia, hundreds more who may have been in several bars on the same street since 27 June are now being asked to ring up the Osakidetza health service to make an appointment for a Covid test. Administrative staff, doctors, nurses and orderlies won't be kicking their heels about that one, considering the big mess they were supposed to be ratcheting down by now, but it could well get wo... See more
Galicia is now putting 70,000 people at 14 locations into quarantine again (70,000!!). Just up the coast here in Ordizia, hundreds more who may have been in several bars on the same street since 27 June are now being asked to ring up the Osakidetza health service to make an appointment for a Covid test. Administrative staff, doctors, nurses and orderlies won't be kicking their heels about that one, considering the big mess they were supposed to be ratcheting down by now, but it could well get worse, because they also closed eight beaches here at the weekend when it became impossible to guarantee a distance of half a metre, let alone one metre or more. And so it goes.Collapse

expressisverbis

España
Miembro
español al inglés
+ ...
No bull Jul 7

It's San Fermín today, signalling the start of Hemingway's favourite weeklong fiesta, but no bulls charging around the streets amid a sea of red neckscarves and white shirts in Iruña (Pamplona) at 8 am this morning. Or at 8 am any day this week, because the virus put paid to all that. So this morning I didn't bother turning on the TV to watch the usual two or three minutes of live chaos. Apparently this week they're concentrating on "Best of San Fermín" from previous years. From what I can se... See more
It's San Fermín today, signalling the start of Hemingway's favourite weeklong fiesta, but no bulls charging around the streets amid a sea of red neckscarves and white shirts in Iruña (Pamplona) at 8 am this morning. Or at 8 am any day this week, because the virus put paid to all that. So this morning I didn't bother turning on the TV to watch the usual two or three minutes of live chaos. Apparently this week they're concentrating on "Best of San Fermín" from previous years. From what I can see, still quite a lot of people have descended on Iruña, but nothing compared to the usual.

At least the bulls can grab a bit of peace and quiet in the mornings. With the further advantage of not being killed later on in the day. As anyone who's been at the San Fermines amid the heaving throngs throwing beer and wine all over each other can tell you, it's murder in the afternoons.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 10:24
Miembro 2015
inglés al portugués
+ ...
It's cruel Jul 7

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

It's San Fermín today, signalling the start of Hemingway's favourite weeklong fiesta, but no bulls charging around the streets amid a sea of red neckscarves and white shirts in Iruña (Pamplona) at 8 am this morning. Or at 8 am any day this week, because the virus put paid to all that. So this morning I didn't bother turning on the TV to watch the usual two or three minutes of live chaos. Apparently this week they're concentrating on "Best of San Fermín" from previous years. From what I can see, still quite a lot of people have descended on Iruña, but nothing compared to the usual.

At least the bulls can grab a bit of peace and quiet in the mornings. With the further advantage of not being killed later on in the day. As anyone who's been at the San Fermines amid the heaving throngs throwing beer and wine all over each other can tell you, it's murder in the afternoons.

I am against any act of cruelty committed against an animal.
Never liked these "shows" in Spain or in Portugal. Thank God, where I live, we do not promote this kind of events.
You are right, at least the bulls will have some peace.

Kay Denney

Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 05:24
Miembro 2006
inglés al español
+ ...
Still quarantined Jul 7

Hi, Mervyn!

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Last point - can't help you there. I ditched all mine years ago when people began to talk.

Damn those nosy neighbours!

And quarantine in Santiago has been extended for yet another week. At this rate, we'll be in lockdown all through August. I think by now we have the dubious honour of being the city that's had the longest quarantine in the world? Not 100% sure about that, but close enough. Argh.

[Edited at 2020-07-08 00:09 GMT]

España
Miembro
español al inglés
+ ...
Meanwhile, back at the ranch ... Jul 8

Literally. Talking of bulls, spare a thought for Paloma Cuevas these days, bullfighter's daughter and bullfighter's wife, and who knows if a bullfighter's mother some day. She only has daughters, so rather unlikely, but it wouldn't be a first. Although she recently became a bullfighter's ex-wife, or is separated, rather, and hence her deep and unconsolable sorrow. Hubby Enrique Ponce (... no, it's two syllables, not one) is now with another comely lady of a previous vintage, although I'm not sur... See more
Literally. Talking of bulls, spare a thought for Paloma Cuevas these days, bullfighter's daughter and bullfighter's wife, and who knows if a bullfighter's mother some day. She only has daughters, so rather unlikely, but it wouldn't be a first. Although she recently became a bullfighter's ex-wife, or is separated, rather, and hence her deep and unconsolable sorrow. Hubby Enrique Ponce (... no, it's two syllables, not one) is now with another comely lady of a previous vintage, although I'm not sure if that's the reason for the split or the result. Oh, those bullfighters!

I bought the glossy ¡Hola! this morning, and there's Paloma on the cover, selling her story, or rather baring her soul, coming clean about the Difficult Times ahead. I learn that her priorities are her daughters and looking after her parents, at her huge country estate down south in Jaén. Oh, those bullfighters' wives!

[Edited at 2020-07-08 07:16 GMT]
Collapse

España
Miembro
español al inglés
+ ...
The Mask of Sorrow Jul 16

I'm back. But that's because the mask is too. It started off with a few isolated confinements, then progressed to police keeping watch outside entire housing blocks full of lockdownees, then some towns were locked down as well, then one of Spain's autonomous regions, Catalonia in particular, then two or three more, and as of last night the hateful - and dubious - mask is mandatory all over the state at all times outside your own residence, whereas previously you only had to use one if you were g... See more
I'm back. But that's because the mask is too. It started off with a few isolated confinements, then progressed to police keeping watch outside entire housing blocks full of lockdownees, then some towns were locked down as well, then one of Spain's autonomous regions, Catalonia in particular, then two or three more, and as of last night the hateful - and dubious - mask is mandatory all over the state at all times outside your own residence, whereas previously you only had to use one if you were going to a shop or some other building, not just walking down the street. This morning I remembered just as I was going out for the paper, because it's been so long now.

As foreigners pour into the country again to save the tourist industry, we can expect more of that. A crowd of lads and laddettes from a certain country with a certain reputation for riotous assemblies abroad were doing their best in that regard in Magaluf, Majorca, the other day, dancing on car roofs during an improvised drunken street party. It's either safety or save the tourist industry, because it's difficult to have your tortilla and eat it too, but guess which one wins.

And a big emphasis on saving hostelry in general. Bilbao's watering holes, for example, faced with the prospect of a reduction in their capacity what with mandatory social distancing, came up with a light-bulb solution: simply extend the pavement terrace into the street past the kerb, taking up three or four car parking spaces in the process. There may have been fewer cars around the city recently, but Bilbao has had a congestion problem for years, so now it's back to square one with these spaces being taken up all over the place. Doubtless the watering holes will claim that this is an environmental initiative, because fewer cars being able to park means less pollution. Sorted!

[Edited at 2020-07-16 05:38 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
Portugal
Miembro 2015
inglés al portugués
+ ...
Victory and shame Jul 16

In a game against Sporting, in the Dragão Stadium. FC Porto is now National Champion 2019/20.
Yesterday, supporters took to the streets to celebrate amid the coronavirus pandemic, and it was a chaos.
TV showed images of hundreds of people gathering on the streets of Porto, without much social distance being observed.
A cop was injured, many bottles and other objects blew away, and some of them thrown to the police when they tried to keep order in one of the most famous avenue
... See more
In a game against Sporting, in the Dragão Stadium. FC Porto is now National Champion 2019/20.
Yesterday, supporters took to the streets to celebrate amid the coronavirus pandemic, and it was a chaos.
TV showed images of hundreds of people gathering on the streets of Porto, without much social distance being observed.
A cop was injured, many bottles and other objects blew away, and some of them thrown to the police when they tried to keep order in one of the most famous avenues of the city.
The same happened in Valongo (where I live) and I could hear something "strangely" rude, with chanting and horns combined, followed by the word "Porto" shouted by Valongo's supporters, that I have never heard it before from Porto fans when I used to live in downtown.
Fans ignored masks, social distance and disrespected the police, and also themselves, despite DGS (Directorate-General of Health) recommendations and warnings.
I am ashamed once more… if we do not comply with the “normality” times, we will suffer more in long term.
Congratulations, Porto! Some of your supporters are really "morcões".

(Note: I am a fan of FCP, but I am not fanatical or senseless.)

[Edited at 2020-07-16 13:33 GMT]
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson

DZiW
Ucrania
inglés al ruso
+ ...
Casting terror into the hearts Jul 18

People have been living in this soup of microlife for ages, since the very beginning. The modern “normality” is very overtoned: If, parroting the WHO, a student or an adult would say to a medic or an instructor that (1) even the healthy must wear masks, (2) stay at home, (3) keep way from others, and (4) wash off local immunity may prevent a virus from penetrating the body, he or she would be considered a jester, instantly get an “F”—or be kindly sent to a nearest psychiatrist.<... See more
People have been living in this soup of microlife for ages, since the very beginning. The modern “normality” is very overtoned: If, parroting the WHO, a student or an adult would say to a medic or an instructor that (1) even the healthy must wear masks, (2) stay at home, (3) keep way from others, and (4) wash off local immunity may prevent a virus from penetrating the body, he or she would be considered a jester, instantly get an “F”—or be kindly sent to a nearest psychiatrist.

The point is after a couple of (let alone over six) months without mental and physical activity under stress, even a healthy but isolated man turns physicaly, psychologicaly, and financially totally handicapped. And how about families and countries? Not merely mask-shaming.

Meanwhile,
Coronavirus has already slashed life expectancy by TWO YEARS [and counting]
-DailyMail

As well as according to OpenSecrets even masked BLM 'moderate' pacifists are sponsoring the political parties, as well this ‘pandemic’ is obviously not purely a medical condition, but rather a political one. No darkside, just balancing the view, yet this is interesting times... sometime.

[Edited at 2020-07-19 03:43 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
Portugal
Miembro 2015
inglés al portugués
+ ...
More shame to add Jul 18

When faced by this Covid-19 threat, I imagined the best case scenario, I thought people would start to change for the better, but I was wrong.

I took this photo last year:

Valongo Mountains

And at this moment, nearby it looks like this:

BB16UmIB

Portugal is experiencing the hottest temperatures this week, with more than 40 degrees Celsius and it will continue.
The country has occurrences of forest fires difficult to deal with and that can become catastrophic. A fireman died, and many of them are seriously injured.
Right now, I can see yellow choppers fighting fire from the air.
Unfortunately, we see this brutality happening all over the world every year.
People do not change...

[Edited at 2020-07-18 19:43 GMT]

Oksana Weiss  Identity Verified
Alemania
Miembro 2011
inglés al ucraniano
+ ...
Hard times Jul 23

expressisverbis, Sorry to hear that! I really hope and pray that the weather changes soon and brings you rains and morning coolness. Meanwhile, Coronavirus continues spreading in Ukraine, with more than 60 thousand cases overall and more than 26 thousand people being currently ill. My mother in Kyiv was very sick last week, with 40 Grad fever which continued for 3 days. The daughter of my best friend in Kyiv was also ill with the same symptoms. Thank God they both recovered, but I pray for peopl... See more
expressisverbis, Sorry to hear that! I really hope and pray that the weather changes soon and brings you rains and morning coolness. Meanwhile, Coronavirus continues spreading in Ukraine, with more than 60 thousand cases overall and more than 26 thousand people being currently ill. My mother in Kyiv was very sick last week, with 40 Grad fever which continued for 3 days. The daughter of my best friend in Kyiv was also ill with the same symptoms. Thank God they both recovered, but I pray for people in Ukraine and throughout the world to stay healthy and to overcome this epidemy soon.Collapse

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
Portugal
Miembro 2015
inglés al portugués
+ ...
Oksana, Jul 23

Oksana Weiss wrote:

expressisverbis, Sorry to hear that! I really hope and pray that the weather changes soon and brings you rains and morning coolness. Meanwhile, Coronavirus continues spreading in Ukraine, with more than 60 thousand cases overall and more than 26 thousand people being currently ill. My mother in Kyiv was very sick last week, with 40 Grad fever which continued for 3 days. The daughter of my best friend in Kyiv was also ill with the same symptoms. Thank God they both recovered, but I pray for people in Ukraine and throughout the world to stay healthy and to overcome this epidemy soon.

Thank God your mother and the daughter of your friend have recovered! Every time someone tells me a relative or friend has recovered, I feel very happy!
My young sister was infected too, but right now she is fine and went back to work at the hospital.
In Portugal the number of infected people is slightly higher at the moment. Deaths aren't increasing, but cases of this infection appear every day.
The weather remains hot, and fires still coming.
We will overcome this "beast" soon, together! We just need to keep the faith, be strong, and be very careful!
Stay safe!
Warm regards, and my virtual hug!

Oksana Weiss

España
Miembro
español al inglés
+ ...
"Together" Jul 30

No offence meant, Oksana and expressisverbis, but to elaborate on another moment during this thread, I think all that initial togetherness and solidarity went down the toilet a long time ago. At local level, regional level, national level, EU level and international level, I don't think the bickering and accusations could be worse, plus you hear about them together all the time through the media, always glad to showcase the horror of it all. Here my lower-level basis is Spain, but it could apply... See more
No offence meant, Oksana and expressisverbis, but to elaborate on another moment during this thread, I think all that initial togetherness and solidarity went down the toilet a long time ago. At local level, regional level, national level, EU level and international level, I don't think the bickering and accusations could be worse, plus you hear about them together all the time through the media, always glad to showcase the horror of it all. Here my lower-level basis is Spain, but it could apply to most countries these days:

Here the Town Hall presents something, the opposition says bollocks, the Basque Government makes a statement, and the opposition says bollocks, Sánchez says something, and the opposition says bollocks, Spain and the rest say something, and Rutte and Co. say bollocks, China says something, and the US says bollocks. That's our glorified representatives talking. Nobody is going to help. You take it down to street level, and people are ready to turn to crime after over 12 years of belt-tightening in all the wrong places.
Collapse

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corona quarantine diary

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within SDL Trados Studio

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Búsqueda de términos
  • Trabajos
  • Foros
  • Multiple search