Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36] >
Corona quarantine diary
Autor de la hebra: Mervyn Henderson

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
España
Local time: 18:47
Miembro
español al inglés
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Business as usual May 11

Somebody's just sent me images of a certain street in the city this morning, the terraces of the half dozen or so bars on it thronged with people, one group in particular shoulder to shoulder, and very few masks in sight. You give them an inch ...

expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino

RobinB  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 11:47
alemán al inglés
What happens when the animals are let out of their cages May 11

Mervyn Henderson wrote: Somebody's just sent me images of a certain street in the city this morning, the terraces of the half dozen or so bars on it thronged with people, one group in particular shoulder to shoulder, and very few masks in sight. You give them an inch ...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/10/us/ice-cream-shop-closes-employee-harassment-trnd/index.html

I just saw an interview with the owner. Not only were the animals using the F word liberally, they even called a 17 year-old female server the C word. Maybe we should make the lockdown permanent for people like that.

expressisverbis

RobinB  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
alemán al inglés
FT article: A nuanced view of the difficult choices facing decision-makers May 11

It's difficult enough even before anybody's been given an inch.

https://www.ft.com/content/e97945c3-8934-41ec-9cd0-9d222caaa20e

Note: Most FT coronavirus reporting is in front of the paywall. An excellent source of balanced, high-quality journalism.

expressisverbis

DZiW (X)
Ucrania
inglés al ruso
+ ...
There have been no explanations since March May 11

Guys, and what about https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/30/uks-attempt-ramp-coronavirus-testing-hindered-key-components/ , any official comments or remarks? It must may be a big wave in disguise to sweep under the rug.

expressisverbis

IrinaN
Estados Unidos
inglés al ruso
+ ...
Natural selection May 11

At it's finest?

expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 17:47
Miembro 2015
inglés al portugués
+ ...
Respect May 11

People do not know the meaning of respect.
At the beginning of the outbreak, a young boy was wearing his mask and he was brutally attacked in the street by some other young boys, just because he was protecting himself and protecting others.
This happened in Portugal, involving this adolescent and more were beaten in that same street, according to a witness who called the police quite often.
A couple of months later, some people are attacked for not wearing masks.
The hum
... See more
People do not know the meaning of respect.
At the beginning of the outbreak, a young boy was wearing his mask and he was brutally attacked in the street by some other young boys, just because he was protecting himself and protecting others.
This happened in Portugal, involving this adolescent and more were beaten in that same street, according to a witness who called the police quite often.
A couple of months later, some people are attacked for not wearing masks.
The human being is turning into something I do not understand and I do not know… Are we going back in time? Is this the return of the "last Neanderthal"?
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson
João Pedro Faria
Angie Garbarino

expressisverbis
Portugal
Miembro 2015
inglés al portugués
+ ...
Shocking May 11

DZiW wrote:

Guys, and what about https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/30/uks-attempt-ramp-coronavirus-testing-hindered-key-components/ , any official comments or remarks? It must may be a big wave in disguise to sweep under the rug.

How much shocking news will we read...?

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

España
Miembro
español al inglés
+ ...
Wednesday 13 May May 13

176 deaths yesterday, so it’s going up again. There were scenes on the box last night, in Cartagena, Sevilla and a few other cities, showing people with a much too leisurely attitude to their leisure activities, all crowded around the terraces of bars and cafés, where the police had to intervene. Also in the Basque capital Gasteiz (Vitoria). Well, it’s the capital all right because the Basque Government is based there, but they only made it the capital in the 80s. To Basque it up a little, ... See more
176 deaths yesterday, so it’s going up again. There were scenes on the box last night, in Cartagena, Sevilla and a few other cities, showing people with a much too leisurely attitude to their leisure activities, all crowded around the terraces of bars and cafés, where the police had to intervene. Also in the Basque capital Gasteiz (Vitoria). Well, it’s the capital all right because the Basque Government is based there, but they only made it the capital in the 80s. To Basque it up a little, I imagine, since it’s pretty much out in the sticks where they grow all the potatoes. I remember when I first came here I heard complaints from civil servants who’d had to move out there to their new offices. Then again, someone like myself who knows what spud stigma is can identify with the adjective “patatero” used for people and places in that part of the territory.

Out running again at 7 am, and in the rain too. Although gently now, because my calf muscle seems to have recovered, but you never know. That was my mistake last week, in fact, because I put on an extra spurt for the home straight at the end, and messed up. I also do a bit of exercise at home afterwards, along the lines of a chap on Spanish television, who does a daily keep-fit lockdown routine in the mornings with broomsticks and bottles of water, bags of chickpeas or whatever as dumbbells. I’ve also cut out a lot of the stupid stuff you end up eating and drinking at home in this situation.

I wonder if the 8 pm applause has been dying out in other countries? It’s been waning here in the last few days. I was out last night, and only saw 4 or 5 other people on balconies, and I hadn't bothered the night before. People are tired of "having" to do it, I suppose, and also the situation has changed: it used to be you were clapping to a mostly empty street and everybody was at home anyway, because nobody was allowed out except for groceries, pharmacies and hospitals, but now it’s a kind of shaky BAU.
Collapse

Oksana Weiss
expressisverbis

España
Miembro
español al inglés
+ ...
Little hotels May 13

Senior citizens’ homes have been in the news in the last couple of months. Like everywhere else, the homes are usually plugged as “just like little hotels” to overcome the natural revulsion of the old folks faced with the prospect of ending their days in unfamiliar surroundings among a crowd of strangers in a similar plight. And it helps their children feel much better about sending them there in the first place, and having the parents pay for it too (after all, that money would be coming ... See more
Senior citizens’ homes have been in the news in the last couple of months. Like everywhere else, the homes are usually plugged as “just like little hotels” to overcome the natural revulsion of the old folks faced with the prospect of ending their days in unfamiliar surroundings among a crowd of strangers in a similar plight. And it helps their children feel much better about sending them there in the first place, and having the parents pay for it too (after all, that money would be coming to them anyway, right?). Because the children are much too busy. They have their lives. They have children. And some of their children have children. And they all have to work. Or they all have holidays. Or this care thing is more of a job for a sister, not one of the lads. Or I don’t live just around the bloody corner, do I? Or he or she doesn’t even know I’m there (but you know he or she’s there, don’t you?). Or he or she doesn’t even recognise me (but you do, don’t you?). And the place has a round-the-clock medical service (one doctor for maybe a hundred of them). And they even have a Hairdressing Salon, fancy! (a must for people in their 80s and 90s). And the staff so pleasant and warm, they hold their hand and talk to them and everything, just like they were family (I actually heard that one once, an irony of the ugliest kind).

The homes were hit hard by the virus at one point and the old people were busy dying but, since the hospitals were stretched to the limit, none of them could be sent there either. People were invited to take charge of their parents at least temporarily to relieve the pressure. Apparently no big rush ensued. Some optimists reckon we’ll be better people after all this is over. Hmm.

[Edited at 2020-05-13 14:15 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman

expressisverbis
Portugal
Miembro 2015
inglés al portugués
+ ...
The humankind is dying out May 13

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

I wonder if the 8 pm applause has been dying out in other countries?

No more claps here. I remember people went to their balconies and windows to applaud health professionals at the beginning of this outbreak, but now they seem to be silent (except some jerks who think this appreciation is a kind of a crazy party; the mentality of the anything goes).
Now, we have a drop of deaths per day compared to March (a total of 1,175 fatalities), but infected cases are rising (almost 29,000).
What troubles me the most is the side effects of Covid-19 pandemic is causing in many aspects: domestic violence, non-Covid-19 deaths (mainly heart failure and oncologic diseases), child abuse, and murder.
A young 9-year-old girl was killed by her father and stepmother in Peniche, Leiria's district. This poor little girl was in agony for 13 hours.
The murder inquiry found that the child had been brutally beaten and asphyxiated by her father.
This is just horrible!
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/girl-9-found-dead-field-22007874

[Edited at 2020-05-13 15:16 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson

Sorana_M.
Rumania
Local time: 19:47
inglés al rumano
Masks May 13

Saw two elderly men today.

One was carrying the mask wrapped around his elbow
The other one was wearing the mask on top of his head

Liviu-Lee Roth
expressisverbis

España
Miembro
español al inglés
+ ...
Masked men May 13

Maybe they just didn't want to use the mask, and perhaps the Romanian authorities simply say you "have to wear" a mask, but don't specifically say where you have to wear it. Legal loopholes.

[Edited at 2020-05-13 17:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-05-13 18:15 GMT]

Bernhard Sulzer
expressisverbis

Sorana_M.
Rumania
Local time: 19:47
inglés al rumano
Funny May 13

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Maybe they just didn't want to use the mask, and perhaps the Romanian authorities simply say you "have to wear" a mask, but don't specifically say where you have to wear it.

It was funny, though.
I myself wore two overlaid masks today. Just to see how it feels. I'm poly-allergic to various environmental factors.

The Romanian authorities are currently tripping over their own two feet. Less than 48 hours to milder measures.

Two weeks ago I tried to warn some youngsters it wasn't yet time to gather in large groups (there were two groups, one made of 7 people and one made of 11 people). Got myself rebuked for not minding my own business. A woman (not a member of either group) even called me 'racist' because they belonged to a certain minority here and suggested I should mindfully spend some of my own money on masks and gloves for them. Show that I care, that is.

[Edited at 2020-05-13 17:55 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 12:47
Miembro 2006
inglés al alemán
+ ...
Clueless Clowns May 13

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Maybe they just didn't want to use the mask, and perhaps the Romanian authorities simply say you "have to wear" a mask, but don't specifically say where you have to wear it. Legal loopholes.

[Edited at 2020-05-13 18:15 GMT]

in a crazy circus. Too many people are just clueless. And yeah, no one there to tell them how to do it right. Doesn't matter if the news tells us 24 hours how people keep getting infected and die. In one ear, out the other. See it often when I'm out. At the store yesterday this worker, about 18 or 19, had pulled down the mask to his chin while leaning against the check-out lane and chatting away with his friend next to him who wasn't wearing a mask at all while people were walking by them, certainly not keeping a distance of 6 feet.
You can be smart yourself, but that's about it.

[Edited at 2020-05-13 18:41 GMT]

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corona quarantine diary

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within SDL Trados Studio

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Búsqueda de términos
  • Trabajos
  • Foros
  • Multiple search