Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:23
English to Italian
Dec 18, 2019

Hi there

one year ago I started the minimal deepl plan to test the service
I immediately found it was too expensive so I forgot it... until today when I found they charged me another year without informing me in advance

now I cancelled the plan, but my money is lost forever

so be aware about that: the renewal is automatic and they didn't inform you about it, as most supplier regularly do

Eva Stoppa
Eva Stoppa  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Isn't that the way it usually goes? Dec 18, 2019

Usually, it is up to you to pay Attention when something is due. So for the future, I suggest you cancel the same day you take a Trial of something. I am being offered a Linkedin premium Membership one month free. It always says in the emails that after that, the period will be automatically renewed unless I cancel. So, nothing extraordinary here.

Maria Bellido Lois

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Use you calendar Dec 18, 2019

Hi Claudio,

You'd better make an entry in your calendar (say, a couple of days before your current subscription expires) to avoid such occurrences in the future.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:23
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Contact the supplier Dec 18, 2019

Claudio Porcellana wrote:

Hi there

one year ago I started the minimal deepl plan to test the service
I immediately found it was too expensive so I forgot it... until today when I found they charged me another year without informing me in advance

now I cancelled the plan, but my money is lost forever

so be aware about that: the renewal is automatic and they didn't inform you about it, as most supplier regularly do

I would suggest you contact the supplier's customer service. I have had this happen occasionally with various subscriptions and most customer-oriented suppliers will make a refund if they are asked immediately after the automatic payment is made.

[Edited at 2019-12-18 15:24 GMT]

Christophe Delaunay

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Isn't that the way it usually goes? Contact the supplier, etc Dec 18, 2019

no, is not that the way it usually goes!

Proz itself and ALL suppliers of mine (software developers, insurers, phone providers) advice before charging a new year subscription, even when an automatic renewal is the rule, so this is why I am quite angry against them

and yes I contacted them: if they will reply in a satisfactory way, I'll inform you
and the same in the opposite case

the calendar is a nice idea, but it happens that one changes PC and forg
... See more
no, is not that the way it usually goes!

Proz itself and ALL suppliers of mine (software developers, insurers, phone providers) advice before charging a new year subscription, even when an automatic renewal is the rule, so this is why I am quite angry against them

and yes I contacted them: if they will reply in a satisfactory way, I'll inform you
and the same in the opposite case

the calendar is a nice idea, but it happens that one changes PC and forget the old calendar
in this and any case, if suppliers are fair they advice

clearly, I cancelled the plan and I will never buy one from them
not because what happened to me, but because I think their professional plans are too expensive

[Edited at 2019-12-18 15:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-12-18 15:44 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Claudio Dec 18, 2019

So I forgot it... until today when I found they charged me another year without informing me in advance.

While I sympathize with your situation, and believe me, I also dislike these annual memberships that one tends to forget about until they deduct yet another year's worth of money, I don't think DeepL's current sign-up page are worth a "warning", though I appreciate the warning in general.

If you have to provide your credit card or PayPal details for a "free" trial, then you can expect the trial to convert to a paid subscription (even if they don't say so). Furthermore, although the annual amount is not stated on the home page, it is shown clearly on the page where you select your plan and enter your payment details (it shows "€5.99 per month, billed annually" on the home page, but it shows in quite large letters "€71.88/year" on the second page) -- in fact, you have to click directly on it to select it. And if you just want to test something (and you are required to provide your payment details), you should sign up for a monthly, not a yearly plan.

It is my understanding that what DeepL is doing, isn't considered unfair by EU legislation, because you can cancel at any time before the renewal date (you don't have to give e.g. 3 months' notice, as it the case with Large Cat Bridge).

Have you tried to get your money back? I mean, tell them that you forgot that you had an annual subscription, and you actually intended to cancel sooner.

ProZ.com itself and ALL suppliers of mine (software developers, insurers, phone providers) advise before charging a new year subscription, even when an automatic renewal is the rule...

You are very fortunate. Among all my annual subscriptions, ProZ.com is the only one that warns me in advance.

I will never buy from them, not because what happened to me, but because I think their professional plans are too expensive.

Yes, €29.99 per month or €239.88 per year is very expensive in my opinion as well. I'm sure the €239.88 is worth every cent and that it can help you to make a tidy profit, but it's still a lot of money.

[Edited at 2019-12-18 16:35 GMT]

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Invoice cancelled Dec 18, 2019

well, after I issued a (angry) ticket to the support they cancelled the invoice and will issue a reimbursement in a few days

all's well that ends well, then

nevertheless, I think that not advising customers before a subscription deadline, EVEN when an automatic reimbursement is linked to it, is an unfair practice and I still dislike it

@Samuel
you say I am a lucky guy... maybe
or I simply mind avoiding unfair providers like the plague, thanks to
... See more
well, after I issued a (angry) ticket to the support they cancelled the invoice and will issue a reimbursement in a few days

all's well that ends well, then

nevertheless, I think that not advising customers before a subscription deadline, EVEN when an automatic reimbursement is linked to it, is an unfair practice and I still dislike it

@Samuel
you say I am a lucky guy... maybe
or I simply mind avoiding unfair providers like the plague, thanks to the Customers Association I'm a member of
Collapse

Christophe Delaunay

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
150% agree with you! Dec 18, 2019

"not advising customers before a subscription deadline, EVEN when an automatic reimbursement is linked to it, is an unfair practice"...

but at least, they've been smart (and nice) enough to accept to reimburse you!! As you say, all's well that ends well!!

Claudio Porcellana (X)

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
they've been smart (and nice) enough Dec 18, 2019

well...

they tried to be smart indeed, but as I said their service is too expensive, notably compared to their direct competitor that costs about ten times less, so I will never buy another deepl plan, unless they reduce the fee a lot

Katrin Braams
Katrin Braams  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2018)
English to German
+ ...
DeepL German company Dec 19, 2019

To the best of my knowledge DeepL is a German company and almost all subscription plans in Germany renew automatically without a warning. Customers are responsible to monitor notice periods and to terminate the contract in due time. I am sure it was included in the T&C you agreed to when you signed up.

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
deepl automatic renewal without any notice Dec 19, 2019

"I am sure it was included in the T&C you agreed to when you signed up"

not really
and you cannot find any information about renewal (regardless of automatic or not) in their website's Terms & Conditions, support, FAQs etc.

Katrin Braams
Katrin Braams  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2018)
English to German
+ ...
It’s in the T&C and in the FAQs Dec 20, 2019

Clause 9.1 of their T&C sets out that the contract is concluded for an indefinite period of time.

Somewhere in their FAQs they also explain that customers have the right to terminate the contract any time during the term but that it will run to the end of the term and IN THIS CASE will not automatically renew.

I admit it is not very clear, but what it actually says is that it normally renews automatically unless terminated by the customer.

(I am a legal tra
... See more
Clause 9.1 of their T&C sets out that the contract is concluded for an indefinite period of time.

Somewhere in their FAQs they also explain that customers have the right to terminate the contract any time during the term but that it will run to the end of the term and IN THIS CASE will not automatically renew.

I admit it is not very clear, but what it actually says is that it normally renews automatically unless terminated by the customer.

(I am a legal translator, most likely I am more skilled in getting the essence of these clauses)
Collapse

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
deepl automatic renewal without any notice Dec 20, 2019

Hi Katrin

as you are in the field, you certainly admit that the legal jargon is expressly nebulous and clouded
LOL

anyway, I'm aware that "the contract is concluded for an indefinite period of time" but this doesn't change my preference for providers that are kind enough to advice before the renewal

that are almost all mine, because I'm a lucky man

Katrin Braams

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:23
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Thanks Dec 23, 2019

Thanks Claudio-I had been vaguely considering taking out a subscription to Deepl but now I won't be. Not ever. I hope the Peepl from Deepl are reading this.

Kozma
Kozma
Romania
Withdrawal request Mar 20, 2022

I forgot to cancel my one-month free trial so they charged me and made a one-year contract with me, without any notification email of course. I saw on their website that customers can withdraw their contract within 14 days without giving any reason the the customer gets his/her money back. And they also attached a withdrawal form. I'll copy the whole article:
"DeepL Pro – Right of Withdrawal
Right of Withdrawal
You have the right to withdraw from this contract within 14 days
... See more
I forgot to cancel my one-month free trial so they charged me and made a one-year contract with me, without any notification email of course. I saw on their website that customers can withdraw their contract within 14 days without giving any reason the the customer gets his/her money back. And they also attached a withdrawal form. I'll copy the whole article:
"DeepL Pro – Right of Withdrawal
Right of Withdrawal
You have the right to withdraw from this contract within 14 days without giving any reason.

The withdrawal period will expire after 14 days from the day of the conclusion of the contract.

To exercise the right of withdrawal, you must inform us (DeepL SE, Maarweg 165, 50825 Köln, Germany, [email protected]) of your decision to withdraw from this contract by an unequivocal statement (e.g. a letter sent by post or e-mail). You may use the model withdrawal form available at https://www.deepl.com/pro-revocation.html, but it is not obligatory.

To meet the withdrawal deadline, it is sufficient for you to send your communication concerning your exercise of the right of withdrawal before the withdrawal period has expired.

Effects of Withdrawal
If you withdraw from this contract, we shall reimburse all payments received from you, including the costs of delivery (with the exception of the supplementary costs resulting from your choice of a type of delivery other than the least expensive type of standard delivery offered by us), without undue delay and in any event not later than 14 days from the day on which we are informed of your decision to withdraw from this contract. We will carry out such reimbursement using the same means of payment as you used for the initial transaction, unless you have expressly stated otherwise. In any event, you will not incur any fees as a result of such reimbursement.

If you requested to begin the performance of services during the withdrawal period, you shall pay us an amount which is in proportion to what has been provided prior to your communication of your withdrawal from this contract, in comparison with the full coverage of the contract.

Model withdrawal form
You can download the model withdrawal form at revocation_EN.pdf."
https://www.deepl.com/pro-revocation.html

I wrote them several emails (since there is no phone number) and attached my withdrawal request. But no answers. However I'm not sure if they are working on weeknends, nor that there is an actual person who deals with emails.
I'm really disapponted and scared. Is there any chance to get a refund?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

deepl automatic renewal without any notice

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »