Chiara Gavasso
Chiara Gavasso  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:55
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 16, 2019

Dear colleagues,

I'd like your advice on this: I worked with two large translation companies for a couple of years on a regular basis, I translated and proofread many projects for both, I've never heard any complaint. I always met deadlines. I suppose they were happy with my performance, and sending me work over and over confirmed that. At times I had to turn jobs down because I was already overwhelmed and I couldn't handle too many things at a time and still make sure the result wa
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I'd like your advice on this: I worked with two large translation companies for a couple of years on a regular basis, I translated and proofread many projects for both, I've never heard any complaint. I always met deadlines. I suppose they were happy with my performance, and sending me work over and over confirmed that. At times I had to turn jobs down because I was already overwhelmed and I couldn't handle too many things at a time and still make sure the result was good. But afterwards I still received other translation jobs.
Then, all of a sudden and at the same time, I stopped receiving work from both of them (I know it's a coincidence). Like nothing, for months now. I know it happens, and sometimes companies undergo financial/structural/organisational changes that may have an impact on outsourcers, too. I loved working with them: projects - some of them very technical - were really interesting, deadlines reasonable, rates good, and I'd like to resume my collaboration with them.

Do you think I should just send an honest email to one PM (I used to be in contact with several PMs in either company) and remind them I'm available and I'd love to work with them again? Or should I just let it go?

Thank you in advance!
Chiara
Collapse

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Call Apr 16, 2019

Chiara Gavasso wrote:

Do you think I should just send an honest email to one PM (I used to be in contact with several PMs in either company) and remind them I'm available and I'd love to work with them again? Or should I just let it go?

Thank you in advance!
Chiara

No email. Call them and ask them.

[Edited at 2019-04-16 09:44 GMT]

Christophe Delaunay

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:55
French to English
Hi Chiara Apr 16, 2019

I'm afraid I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say I sympathise with your dilemma. This has happened to me on several occasions. Like you, I have wondered whether to email them to remind them of my existence, but then suddenly they will start sending work again.

I certainly don't think there's anything to lose by sending a polite inquiry.

Christopher Schröder
Robert Forstag

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Other fish in the sea Apr 16, 2019

Exactly the same thing has happened to me - and as in your case, with two Italian agencies that had been giving me lots of regular work every month (I wonder if they are the same two agencies ??!!)

I don't desperately need these two agencies because I have quite a wide range of other clients who give me work.

I am left to speculate as to why these two agencies appear to have abandoned me. But I don't see any point in asking them why. The PMs know me and my work, and hav
... See more
Exactly the same thing has happened to me - and as in your case, with two Italian agencies that had been giving me lots of regular work every month (I wonder if they are the same two agencies ??!!)

I don't desperately need these two agencies because I have quite a wide range of other clients who give me work.

I am left to speculate as to why these two agencies appear to have abandoned me. But I don't see any point in asking them why. The PMs know me and my work, and have always been very happy with it. When they need me, they know where I am. They'll be back.

The moral of this story is: never become over-dependent on any particular agencies because at some point, they will abandon you.

[Edited at 2019-04-16 10:26 GMT]
Collapse

Viviane Marx
DZiW (X)
Jane F
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Cécile A.-C.
ahartje
Katalin Szilárd

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Go ahead Apr 16, 2019

Chiara, it's a pity if translation is your principal source of income, because as a business lady you should constantly assess and mitigate the risks, diversifying the cashflow via other local/clients/places, language pairs/fields, activities (like rewriting/copywriting, mentoring, or interpreting...), and Plan B/C/D.

Check their websites, and call or write them a message on an event, but not too pushy, begging or needy: They are not the end clients, just re/distributors.<
... See more
Chiara, it's a pity if translation is your principal source of income, because as a business lady you should constantly assess and mitigate the risks, diversifying the cashflow via other local/clients/places, language pairs/fields, activities (like rewriting/copywriting, mentoring, or interpreting...), and Plan B/C/D.

Check their websites, and call or write them a message on an event, but not too pushy, begging or needy: They are not the end clients, just re/distributors.

Good luck
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Vadim Kadyrov

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 22:55
Dutch to English
+ ...
@DZiW Apr 16, 2019

Assuming that Chiara is dependent on these two agencies and does not have other clients is essentially saying: it's your own fault because you were too dependent on these two agencies. If you read her post, you'll see that she clearly states: "At times I had to turn jobs down because I was already overwhelmed and I couldn't handle too many things at a time and still make sure the result was good."

Many people, myself included, want or need to limit their work load and prefer to have
... See more
Assuming that Chiara is dependent on these two agencies and does not have other clients is essentially saying: it's your own fault because you were too dependent on these two agencies. If you read her post, you'll see that she clearly states: "At times I had to turn jobs down because I was already overwhelmed and I couldn't handle too many things at a time and still make sure the result was good."

Many people, myself included, want or need to limit their work load and prefer to have a small number of more or less regular clients. They don't want to become overwhelmed and do a less than perfect job.

And to Chiara: I understand how you feel, losing a good client is distressing. You may be wondering why and whether it had anything to do with the quality of your work. These agencies may have financial difficulties, or they in turn don't want to become too dependent on you and are trying to add more translators in your language combination to their 'stable'. Some agencies don't like it when you turn work down, they go searching for another translator and then decide to stay with them. Don't worry too much about the 'why and wherefore', you may never find out. In the meantime, I hope you'll soon get a few new clients to fill the gap.

[Edited at 2019-04-16 15:12 GMT]
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Kevin Fulton
sam@fr-uk
Maaike van Vlijmen
Vera Schoen
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
It's worth a call Apr 16, 2019

DZiW wrote:

Check their websites, and call or write them a message on an event, but not too pushy,

Good luck

This is the part I agreed with. It happened to me before that there was a misunderstanding (not language related) between my client and me, and after the call we figured out we misunderstood each other concerning the project.
If you call them you shouldn't be pushy or humble, but ask it straight.

So if the client moved on to another translator or if it's not a misunderstanding, then you should move on.
As Tom in London said: there are plenty of fishes in the sea. Maybe you get better ones.

Andrew Morris
Christine Andersen

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Ask Apr 16, 2019

I would ask why. You've got nothing to lose.

Michele Fauble
Katalin Szilárd
Christine Andersen

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I wouldn't. Apr 16, 2019

Chris S wrote:

I disagree. You'd be losing face. It might look as if you're short of work because they're not giving you any; which would put you in a bad position if they follow up by suggesting that you lower your rate.

Robert Forstag
LEXpert
Vera Schoen
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Andrew Morris
Josephine Cassar

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Good point Apr 16, 2019

Tom in London wrote:

Chris S wrote:

I disagree. You'd be losing face. It might look as if you're short of work because they're not giving you any; which would put you in a bad position if they follow up by suggesting that you lower your rate.

I think that's why I erred on the side of not sending the email.

Tom in London
Robert Forstag
Tina Vonhof (X)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Wise move Apr 16, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

I think that's why I erred on the side of not sending the email.

Wise move

Elizabeth Tamblin
Josephine Cassar

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Too many possibilities Apr 16, 2019

Tom in London wrote:

Chris S wrote:

There are way too many possibilities here. Honestly she doesn't know till she asks. Email issues can happen or temporary office closure, long vacation, totally new staff are hired at the office or yes, it can happen that the agency moved on to another translator (or to whatever else). If they were satisfied with her work but the agency moved on, it's the agency's problem not her. If that's the case she will find better ones.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Different experience Apr 16, 2019

Tom in London wrote:

My experience of agencies has never been that adversarial. I generally find them friendly and helpful.

The occasional lean period is inevitable, and there have been occasions over the years when I've swallowed my pride and asked for work, and they've bent over backwards to find me something, not screw me on price.

It's also easy to get forgotten when project managers move on, so I still think it's worth getting in touch.

Kevin Fulton
MoSpa
Mohammad Naim
Andrew Morris
Diana Coada (X)
Melanie Meyer

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:55
English to Russian
Expired agreements? Apr 16, 2019

Before you get work from some agencies (e.g. Lionbridge), you have to sign agreement(s) like NDA, I-Will-Never-Use-MT, etc. Those agreements may expire from time to time. Make sure that you do not have such expired documents. If you do, sign them (electronically by pressing 'I agree' or 'Submit' or else...) and check if it resolves your situation.

Helen Shiner
Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Contact Apr 16, 2019

Perhaps you could just contact them, or all your clients, with details of your availability over the Easter holidays? You remind them that you are there, you're saying you're open to receiving work without sounding desperate, and you're ostensibly helping them out with their planning. It might be a change of project manager, who has checked their database and has chosen to work with someone else. It might be they have reduced the rates they are prepared to pay across the agency as a whole. But w... See more
Perhaps you could just contact them, or all your clients, with details of your availability over the Easter holidays? You remind them that you are there, you're saying you're open to receiving work without sounding desperate, and you're ostensibly helping them out with their planning. It might be a change of project manager, who has checked their database and has chosen to work with someone else. It might be they have reduced the rates they are prepared to pay across the agency as a whole. But who knows? You may get no response, or you may just prompt them to send you work and the hurdle is overcome.Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Elizabeth Tamblin
Sabine Braun
Tom in London
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Tina Vonhof (X)

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suddenly stopped receiving work

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »