Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Dispute with an agency which refuses to pay my invoice (France > Switzerland)
Thread poster: Carole Pinto
Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:22
French to English
last post Aug 16, 2018

Carole,

I'm sorry if you did not wish to have comments and suggestions on your letter. I supposed that was the case as you posted it here. As you had already sent the letter anyway, it is true that there was not much point in commenting, as it amounted to locking the stable door after the horse had bolted. Nonetheless, I think you can trust those of us who have commented, to have done so with the best of intentions. Late and non-payment is something that is hard to avoid when runnin
... See more
Carole,

I'm sorry if you did not wish to have comments and suggestions on your letter. I supposed that was the case as you posted it here. As you had already sent the letter anyway, it is true that there was not much point in commenting, as it amounted to locking the stable door after the horse had bolted. Nonetheless, I think you can trust those of us who have commented, to have done so with the best of intentions. Late and non-payment is something that is hard to avoid when running a business, for whatever reason. I have always found it unacceptable and always will.

I hope you manage to resolve this situation quickly and with as little bother as possible.
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
often HOW is more important than WHAT Aug 16, 2018

Carole, you're right. As colleagues noted, to solve an issue a party should (1) timely raise the question [what is the problem?], (2) calmly provide relevant facts and produce proofs [why (you think) it is?], (3) make the other party hear it [the means], (4) sincerely mak... See more
Carole, you're right. As colleagues noted, to solve an issue a party should (1) timely raise the question [what is the problem?], (2) calmly provide relevant facts and produce proofs [why (you think) it is?], (3) make the other party hear it [the means], (4) sincerely make sure the communication gets right [clear and cultured], and (5) that parties consider what's said [archiving the goal].

Usually it requires a dialogue to settle an issue, and the best non-threatening approach is putting it as a mere misunderstanding, so it wouldn't obnoxiously turn into several distressing blame-shifting and combative higher-pitch monologues.

In the court they use officially-neutral language, because a party can turn around any awkward wording. So, don't lose your temper for the (deemed) truth or biased truthiness covered in (even deserved) emotional connotation is but an insult, which could halt the communication, waffling on the important issue.

Stay cool and follow your own cultured way)
Cheers
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dispute with an agency which refuses to pay my invoice (France > Switzerland)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »