Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How much work experience is necessary before going independent?
Thread poster: S_89
Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 15:46
German to English
+ ...
But... Sep 8, 2017

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

... how do we know anyone's name or photo here are genuine, anyway? How do we know that Mario Chavez is who he says he is? And is that really you in the photo, Mario? If your name actually is Mario! You could be anybody. For all I know, you might be Donald Trump, or Madonna, or Mark Ruffalo, or Elvis posting from the tomb.

Maybe the OP's real name is S-89. Maybe it's a fake, and the real name is V-46. So what? Just because you're on a forum doesn't mean you have to be upfront with everything. If people aren't keen to work with someone who goes by a number, S-89 will find out soon enough.

when I see names such as "Brzhinkch-brzach", "Blooming Hemlock", "Red Dog" etc., the concept of "petit criminal" springs to my mind, e.g., a person who tries to avoid paying taxes or uses pirated (stolen) software. Of course, it's none of my business but I don't like such people. Of course, there are some cases when people are bragging about working for various ministries (in most cases for Ministry of Defence) or other highly ranked agencies or about some mysterious "morons" whose only aim in life is to harm these wannabe VIPs. These peeple are wretchedly unhappy with their real life and my heart goes out to these sufferers.
Of course, this is only my humble opinion and in most cases I simply ignore these people.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Like Lianne ... Sep 8, 2017

... quoting me and then going off on a totally different tack doesn't necessarily mean I subscribe to what's said afterwards.

I would be much obliged if my quote could be edited out. Quite soon. Many thanks in advance.

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 15:46
German to English
+ ...
And I would be much obliged Sep 8, 2017

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

... quoting me and then going off on a totally different tack doesn't necessarily mean I subscribe to what's said afterwards.

I would be much obliged if my quote could be edited out. Quite soon. Many thanks in advance.

if you could refrain from the bossy tone in the future. You are free to edit out your comments if you so please but you are not entitled to teach or instruct me what I should or should not write or quote.

Thanks for your understanding and tolerance.
Have a wonderful day.

[Edited at 2017-09-08 08:39 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Back on topic Sep 8, 2017

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
... how do we know anyone's name or photo here are genuine, anyway?

Beer *and* coffee?

Or should it be: Coffee *and* beer?

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Oh, and before the moderator deletes all this.... Sep 8, 2017

Maija Cirule wrote:
Thanks for your understanding and tolerance.

[GIF of someone splitting their sides with laughter]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Of course ... Sep 8, 2017

... I can edit out my own comments, but it is not my comments that are bothering me in this case, merely that they are being associated in some way with others over which I have no control.

I neither understand nor tolerate, and naturally this is not conducive to the wonderful day you are wishing me. Please remove the part where you quote me. It is not right to do this, and you know it.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Going back on topic ... Sep 8, 2017

... S_89, going in-house is a good learning curve at the beginning. But they'll have you translating (or bookkeeping, or checking, or doing quotes, or brushing the floor) all day long to cram it all into that salary.

And unfortunately that means you won't have nearly as much time to join in the pleasant banter and friendly thrust and parry on forums like this one.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
OK then ... Sep 8, 2017

... due to the intransigence of a certain poster - and the passivity of moderators, I might add - I'll address this myself.

Please note that I wish to disassociate myself from the first post on page 2 of this thread beginning "But ..." and quoting my previous post. You can't just take a post and then make it look like your post is a continuation of it.

[Edited at 2017-09-08 22:38 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Shame Sep 11, 2017

Looks like the coffee got the better of the beer in the end

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Made requested edit and left the post blank.
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
So ... (following some editing) Sep 11, 2017

... S_89, have we answered your question? I bet you can't wait to get into the freelancing now. You can see the rollicking fun we all have together.

[Edited at 2017-09-11 13:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-09-11 13:44 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
So ... Sep 11, 2017

... I would like to express my gratitude to the fine Tatiana, our moderator, who has now let me post again.

Mervyn

[Edited at 2017-09-12 11:12 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
And also ... Sep 11, 2017

... Bella L. Thanks, honey bunch.

Mervyn

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
So much while so little Sep 12, 2017

Unfortunately, most even decent freelancers (not translators only) are rather poor business[wo]men, that's why besides learning the translation ropes I would recommend to learn some biz ABC too, let alone it has much to do with contacts, "client-oriented" approaches and communications.

May be some part-time compromise would better do.

As a teacher comes when a student is ready, so a business comes when an entrepreneur is ready.
...Or do it a harder
... See more
Unfortunately, most even decent freelancers (not translators only) are rather poor business[wo]men, that's why besides learning the translation ropes I would recommend to learn some biz ABC too, let alone it has much to do with contacts, "client-oriented" approaches and communications.

May be some part-time compromise would better do.

As a teacher comes when a student is ready, so a business comes when an entrepreneur is ready.
...Or do it a harder way, as most people try)
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much work experience is necessary before going independent?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »