Thread poster: Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:06
English to German
+ ...
Nov 13, 2020

As of this morning, on an external SSD-clone of my internal SSD, of course. So far everything seems to work quite smoothly. I guess only people with audio software should be very careful, (my) experience shows that more often than not DAWs do not work after an OS update.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:06
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Caution Nov 13, 2020

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

As of this morning, on an external SSD-clone of my internal SSD, of course. So far everything seems to work quite smoothly. I guess only people with audio software should be very careful, (my) experience shows that more often than not DAWs do not work after an OS update.

Caution is always advised when installing a brand new version of the MacOS. There are bound to be glitches that will only be discovered by the early adopters. It should not be used for serious work - yet. And some of the initial reviewers find Big Sur underwhelming (to say the least).

https://tinyurl.com/yxs3fxmk

Users of Carbon Copy Cloner have already been forewarned:

https://tinyurl.com/y2tk5e3f

Wolfgang Schoene

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
works fine here Nov 13, 2020

Everything on my computer works fine with Big Sur, including some helper apps that were my biggest worry (Karabiner Elements and Keyboard Maestro).
I like it so far; it feels a bit faster than Catalina.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Another KM user here Nov 14, 2020

Jan Truper wrote:

Everything on my computer works fine with Big Sur, including some helper apps that were my biggest worry (Karabiner Elements and Keyboard Maestro).

I’m a big fan of KM and use it to automate workflows and to control and enhance CafeTran.

What do you use KM for?

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
KE/KM Nov 14, 2020

Hans Lenting wrote:

What do you use KM for?

I use both Karabiner Elements and Keyboard Maestro to have full control over all my hardware peripheral devices (two mice with 13/18 buttons, a Nostromo gamepad, a foot controller with 3 buttons, etc.).
This system has literally saved me days of my life -- KM has a counter under "About Keyboard Maestro", which tells me that I have saved 3 days so far.

Examples:

-My right mouse button is set to double-click, which helps to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome in my index finger.
-The Escape button on my keyboard activates Mac Dictation.
-When working for one of my subtitling clients, I often have to count 12 frames back or forward. Instead of having to hit the relevant shortcut 12 times, I just hit a single button on my Gamepad.
-One of the extra buttons of my left mouse is set to: Copy selected text > Move mouse pointer, click on dictionary tab on my left monitor > Scroll to top of page > Move pointer to search box > Click > Select all > Paste text > Hit enter > Return mouse pointer to center of main monitor.

[Edited at 2020-11-14 09:20 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Warning Nov 16, 2020

A large number of late 2013 and mid 2014 13-inch MacBook Pro owners are reporting that the macOS Big Sur update is bricking their machines.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Big Sur installed

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »