Thread poster: Arshingul Akylbekova (X)
Arshingul Akylbekova (X)
Arshingul Akylbekova (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:49
English to Russian
Apr 17, 2018

Hello

I am a newbie in the translation world and I am just getting to grips with translation software. Can anyone recommend the best software to use on a Mac? If there is more than one, which one is the best in terms of value for money?

I thought I can work with MemoQ but apparently my computer doesn't support Microsoft Windows applications

Also, does anyone offer online classes/workshops on
... See more
Hello

I am a newbie in the translation world and I am just getting to grips with translation software. Can anyone recommend the best software to use on a Mac? If there is more than one, which one is the best in terms of value for money?

I thought I can work with MemoQ but apparently my computer doesn't support Microsoft Windows applications

Also, does anyone offer online classes/workshops on "how to complete your first professional translation" ?

I got my first translation order (although on a pro-bono basis) which consists of two scanned documents. My understanding is that I need to:

- convert them into word documents;
- upload them into MemoQ or other translation software;
- run checks to make sure they have converted correctly (no idea as to how this is done);
- start translating (and creating translation lists and translation memories - again no idea what this is or how it works)
- complete translation; check for spelling mistakes;
- send to client.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Wordfast Pro Apr 17, 2018

I've only ever worked on a Mac and Wordfast hasn't let me down yet!

They give you a one-month trial, give it a try!

John Di Rico

ttp_doza (X)
ttp_doza (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:49
English to German
+ ...
Best translation software for Mac Apr 17, 2018

Hi Arshingul,
there are apparently several programs (CAT tools) that you can use on a Mac:
Wordfast with different editions: www.wordfast.com
OmegaT: www.omegat.org... See more
Hi Arshingul,
there are apparently several programs (CAT tools) that you can use on a Mac:
Wordfast with different editions: www.wordfast.com
OmegaT: www.omegat.org
CafeTran Espresso: www.cafetran.com
Trados Studio: www.sdl.com
So far I haven't worked with a Mac, but nevertheless I would recommend Trados Studio - no I'm not paid by them
Studio can handle quite a lot of different file formats, and you need not have them installed on your computer. You can open them directly in Studio, and start the translation straight-away. Having completed the translation, you can then convert the translation into a target text. The file type depends on the file type of your source text.
For the translation process you have to create a so-called "translation memory" (TM), where all your current (and future) translations of that language pair are saved. In addition you can create a bilingual term database (translation list?) from you translation, also to be used for future projects. You can run a spell check on your translation in Studio or in the original program (if it is installed on your Mac).
Depending on what your client requires, you can either send a bilingual file or the target text. Some customers also require the TM and your term base to be submitted to them. Bear in mind, though, that this is your work, your intellectual property! Therefore they should pay for it.
The process described above is very similar in all CAT tools, and in most cases require some "teaching-in", i.e. some time to get familiar with them.

Hope this helps.
Dorita
Collapse

Arshingul Akylbekova (X)
United Kingdom
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Cheers Apr 17, 2018

Thank you very much for your help guys!

Nona Stanciu Dell'Acqua
Nona Stanciu Dell'Acqua  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2006)
Italian to Romanian
+ ...
CafeTran Espresso Apr 17, 2018

Hello Arshingul,

I'm a MAC user and my choice is for: CafeTran Espresso: www.cafetran.com
I've tried other CAT but I defintely prefer CafeTran Espresso!
If your are a PROZ Pro member you don't have even to pay for it since it is included in the membership fee (with all features).
You can give it a try!

best,

Tom in London

Arshingul Akylbekova (X)
United Kingdom
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
CafeTran Espresso Apr 17, 2018

Nona Stanciu Dell'Acqua wrote:

Hello Arshingul,

I'm a MAC user and my choice is for: CafeTran Espresso: www.cafetran.com
I've tried other CAT but I defintely prefer CafeTran Espresso!
If your are a PROZ Pro member you don't have even to pay for it since it is included in the membership fee (with all features).
You can give it a try!

best,

Dear Nona

Thank you for your advice! I purchased a standard membership package on Proz. Am I still entitled to download CafeTran Espresso for free, or would I need to upgrade to the plus package? Or should simply purchase it separately?

Thanks a lot

Arshingul

Eleonora_P
Eleonora_P  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2012)
English to Italian
+ ...
CaféTran only for plus package Apr 17, 2018

Hi Arshingul!

As far as I know (and I recently read it somewhere here on the fora) CaféTran is free to download only if you purchased the plus package.

Eleonora

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Nice deal Apr 17, 2018

Arshingul Akylbekova wrote:

I purchased a standard membership package on Proz. Am I still entitled to download CafeTran Espresso for free, or would I need to upgrade to the plus package?

You have to upgrade (it's 120€/year, you can upgrade by paying the difference between your regular Proz membership and the Plus package).

I have been using CafeTran Espresso on my Mac for many years now and I'm very happy with it.

I also have a license for Swordfish (running on Mac too), but I don't use it. I used to have a license for Wordfast Pro but I found CafeTran Espresso to suit my needs as a technical translator better.

See also: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/WF_PRO/conversations/topics/14417

[Edited at 2018-04-17 17:12 GMT]

Tom in London

mc1529
mc1529
United States
Best translation software for Mac -- try web-based? Jul 30, 2019

Hi Arshingul,

It sounds like scanned document translation is particularly important to you. Depending on how robust the OCR engine is that the software uses (this is what reads the characters in scanned documents so they can be translated), your experience can differ from software system to software system.

Have you considered trying a web-based system that you can access from a browser? This way Mac compatibility doesn't matter, and you can even access it from mobile
... See more
Hi Arshingul,

It sounds like scanned document translation is particularly important to you. Depending on how robust the OCR engine is that the software uses (this is what reads the characters in scanned documents so they can be translated), your experience can differ from software system to software system.

Have you considered trying a web-based system that you can access from a browser? This way Mac compatibility doesn't matter, and you can even access it from mobile and have your clients access their projects. This might work better for you, as long as the app you choose still has all the power you need in translation software and ticks all the boxes for features you need to serve your clients. You'll want to make sure the web-based app has adequate security measures too.

Many systems out there will allow you to upload documents and create Translation Memories, but sounds like you're looking for an alternative to the ones more popularly known on the market.

Have you seen Pairaphrase? It seems to meets all of the requirements of what you need in your list below. They have a page where you can sign up to get a live demo: www.pairaphrase.com/request-demo

- Convert them into word documents;
- upload them
- run checks to make sure they have converted correctly (no idea as to how this is done);
- start translating (and creating translation lists and translation memories - again no idea what this is or how it works)
- complete translation; check for spelling mistakes;
- send to client.

Hope this helps.
Collapse

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 12:49
English to Chinese
+ ...
One more to the list Sep 15, 2019

GT4T has a Mac version too. https://gt4t.net/

Sylvia Avila Cacho
Sylvia Avila Cacho  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to English
+ ...
CafeTran Jun 23, 2020

I've been using CafeTran lately. At first I kind of hated it because I was so used to Trados on a PC at my old job, but I've managed to set up the windows in a way that I like and it's working for me pretty well.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Project Templates Jun 24, 2020

Sylvia Avila Cacho wrote:

I've managed to set up the windows in a way that I like and it's working for me pretty well.

You can now create different Project Templates with different window layouts, for different clients, language combinations, subject fields, translation phase (translate, review, ...) etc.

A short demonstration:

https://youtu.be/sZR2DccgsIw

Sylvia Avila Cacho
Sylvia Avila Cacho  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks! Jun 24, 2020

Hans Lenting wrote:

Sylvia Avila Cacho wrote:

I've managed to set up the windows in a way that I like and it's working for me pretty well.

You can now create different Project Templates with different window layouts, for different clients, language combinations, subject fields, translation phase (translate, review, ...) etc.

A short demonstration:

https://youtu.be/sZR2DccgsIw

Thanks Hans, I'll check that out!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
WAIT! Jun 24, 2020

If you buy new software for Mac, in a couple of years' time (or sooner) you may be likely to find that it won't work any more - unless you buy a completely new Mac (and new versions of all your other applications including your CAT tools).

That's because Apple, in its wisdom (??) has decided to start using a new type of chip in all its computers that will kill earlier computers.

In my opinion this is probably not a good time to be investing a lot of money in Mac softwa
... See more
If you buy new software for Mac, in a couple of years' time (or sooner) you may be likely to find that it won't work any more - unless you buy a completely new Mac (and new versions of all your other applications including your CAT tools).

That's because Apple, in its wisdom (??) has decided to start using a new type of chip in all its computers that will kill earlier computers.

In my opinion this is probably not a good time to be investing a lot of money in Mac software - and indeed this would not be a good time at which to buy a Mac because Apple will kill it within the next couple of years by making the forthcoming new operating system ("Big Sur") unable to run on earlier models.

See this thread started by Hans:

https://tinyurl.com/ycp5b7hj

[Edited at 2020-06-24 14:48 GMT]
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:49
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Or… Jun 25, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

… unless you buy a completely new Mac

…or unless you install a Linux distro on the old Mac.

[Адрэдагавана 2020-06-25 06:16 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best translation software for Mac

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »