Inacio Steinhardt
Inacio Steinhardt  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 18:06
Hebrew to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 18, 2014

Dear Coleagues,

For a study unrelated to my work as a translator I am looking for somebody with knowledge of ancient Arabic, which could kindly tell me or confirm the meaning of the word ISHBUNA (or similar) in the Arabic language of +- 1000 CE
The information I received is that it means HARBOUR, but I didn't find any confirmation.
If you know the answer or if you can recomend an authority to whom I can write, please writ
... See more
Dear Coleagues,

For a study unrelated to my work as a translator I am looking for somebody with knowledge of ancient Arabic, which could kindly tell me or confirm the meaning of the word ISHBUNA (or similar) in the Arabic language of +- 1000 CE
The information I received is that it means HARBOUR, but I didn't find any confirmation.
If you know the answer or if you can recomend an authority to whom I can write, please write to me at [email protected]

Thank you
Collapse

eyes-only
eyes-only
Afghanistan
Meaning of ISHBUNA in ancient Arabic Sep 27, 2014

can you plz write it in arabic ?

then it will be easier for me to find the right word and help you with it

Inacio Steinhardt
Israel
Hebrew to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Meaning of ISHBUNA in ancient Arabic Sep 28, 2014

Sorry, but I don't know Arabic.
I think that now it is writen Lishbuna (from Al-Isbuna).
But what I am looking for is the meaning of Ishbuna in ancient Arabic of the Iberian Pensinsula (7th. century aproximately).
I have been told that it mean "the harbour", but the schollar who told me this doesn't know Arabic.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:06
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
On the right track Sep 28, 2014

Some quick research shows this word (accounting for variance in transliteration), appears to be the name the Arabs the used for Lisbon, which in turn is believed to be originally derived from the Phoenician for "safe harbor". I'm not an Arabic speaker, but it does look like you are on the right track.

[Edited at 2014-09-28 10:58 GMT]

Inacio Steinhardt
Israel
Hebrew to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The name of Lisbon Sep 28, 2014

I have the same trouble with the Phoenician.
I could not find a proof that ALLIS UBO means Pleasant Bay in Phoenician.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 16:06
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
"Enseada amena" Aug 26, 2015

Dear Inácio,
I'm not a speaker of Arabic, but as Rudolf said you're right.
I recommend you to visit this website that probably you know: Ciberduvidas.pt
Also, there's already an entry with "Alis-Ubbo".
"O top{#ó|ô}nimo Lisboa tem, segundo José Pedro Machado (Dicionário Onomástico Etimológico da Língua Portuguesa, s.v. Lisboa), «[...] origem pré-romana, não se sabendo ao certo a significação original do vo[abulário]». Há quem lhe atribua origem fenícia: Al
... See more
Dear Inácio,
I'm not a speaker of Arabic, but as Rudolf said you're right.
I recommend you to visit this website that probably you know: Ciberduvidas.pt
Also, there's already an entry with "Alis-Ubbo".
"O top{#ó|ô}nimo Lisboa tem, segundo José Pedro Machado (Dicionário Onomástico Etimológico da Língua Portuguesa, s.v. Lisboa), «[...] origem pré-romana, não se sabendo ao certo a significação original do vo[abulário]». Há quem lhe atribua origem fenícia: Alis-Ubbo, «enseada amena» (cf. Bárbara Fraticelli, la Imagen de La Ciudad de Lisboa, entre lo Real y lo Imaginario, Madrid, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 2001, págs. 17 e 53)."
https://ciberduvidas.iscte-iul.pt/consultorio/perguntas/etimologia-de-lisboa-outra-vez/19407
You can post any linguistic question at this website. I'm sure that they can help you on this.
I hope this can help you.
Regards,
expressisverbis
Collapse

Peter Kovacik
Peter Kovacik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:06
Arabic to English
Lisbon Aug 26, 2015

I do not have much to add, but there is an entry for لشبونة lishbuunah in the Hans Wehr dictionary meaning Lisbon, the capitol of Portugal. Since the morphology of lishbuunah suggests that it is a loan word and not derived from an Arabic root, it would be helpful to see its literal meaning in the language that it was borrowed from.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Meaning of ISHBUNA in ancient Arabic

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »