Off topic: Çfarë mendoni për fjalët shqipe në artikullin e mëposhtëm?
Thread poster: Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:34
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Sep 26, 2005

Një anëtare e ProZ-com sot ka hapur sot një rubrikë me titull "Off topic: Tingo, nakkele and other wonders! (BBC article)

Çfarë mendoni për pjesën ku flitet për fjalët shqipe rreth mustaqeve?

Hi everyone,

I just came across this article on the BBC news website. I thought it might interest some of you!

Sheila

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4248494.stm

Tingo, nakkele and other wonders
By Georgina Pattinson
BBC News

Curries
Who could resist eating every last bit of curry?
English is a rich and innovative language. But you can't help feeling we're missing out.

While English speakers have to describe the action of laughing so much that one side of your abdomen hurts (hardly an economical phrase), the Japanese have the much more efficient expression: katahara itai.

Of course, the English language has borrowed words for centuries. Khaki and croissant are cases in point.

So perhaps it's time to be thinking about adding others to the lexicon. Malay, for instance, has gigi rongak - the space between the teeth. The Japanese have bakku-shan - a girl who appears pretty from behind but not from the front. Then there's a nakkele - a man who licks whatever the food has been served on (from Tulu, India).

I'm trying to celebrate the joy of foreign words
Adam Jacot de Boinod
These fabulous examples have been collected by author Adam Jacot de Boinod into The Meaning Of Tingo - a collection of words and phrases from around the world.

"What I'm really trying to do is celebrate the joy of foreign words (in a totally unjudgmental way) and say that while English is a great language, one shouldn't be surprised there are many others having, as they do, words with no English equivalent," he says.

Having pored over 280 dictionaries and trawled 140 websites, he is also convinced that a country's dictionary says more about a culture than a guide book. Hawaiians, for instance, have 108 words for sweet potato, 65 for fishing nets - and 47 for banana.

Mania

The German propensity for compound words pays dividends. Kummerspeck is a German word which literally means grief bacon: it is the word that describes the excess weight gained from emotion-related overeating.

A Putzfimmel is a mania for cleaning and Drachenfutter - literally translated as dragon fodder - are the peace offerings made by guilty husbands to their wives.

Or there's die beleidigte Leberwurst spielen - to stick one's lower lip out in a sulk (literally, to play the insulted liver sausage). Perhaps it's a Backpfeifengesicht - a face that cries out for a fist in it.

Words and phrases can suggest the character of a nation.

A boy braces himself against the wind at Fort Walton Beach, Florida
The Dutch didn't have hurricanes in mind when they coined the word

The Dutch vocabulary, for instance, seems to confirm the nation's light-hearted reputation. The word uitwaaien is Dutch for walking in windy weather for fun.

The Maori-speakers of the Cook Islands sound like an enthusiastic bunch: the word toto is the shout given in a game of hide-and-seek to show readiness.

Perhaps the Inuit notion of a good time must be, of necessity, a little more constrained. The long winter nights must fly by as they play a game called igunaujannguaq, literally meaning frozen walrus carcass. (The game involves the person in the centre of a ring trying to remain stiff as he is passed around the ring, hand over hand.)

But it's those fun-loving people in the Netherlands who should have the last word - the phrase for skimming stones is as light-hearted as the action: plimpplampplettere.

Overall Grand Champion Karl Heinz Hille of Berlin, Germany

World beard champion 2003
In pictures: the contest

The Albanians exhibit a strange fascination for facial hair. There are no fewer than 27 separate expressions for the moustache.

Madh means a bushy moustache, posht is a moustache hanging down at the ends and fshes is a long broom-like moustache with bristly hairs.

This hirsute obsession is not confined to moustaches. Vetullkalem describes pencil-thin eyebrows, vetullperpjekur are joined together eyebrows and those arched like the crescent moon are vetullhen.

Perhaps nothing so intriguingly displays differences between nations as the unusual occupations of some of its citizens. Geshtenjapjeks is an Albanian who sells roast chestnuts on the street. A koshatnik in Russian is a dealer of stolen cats.

A kualanapuhi is a Hawaiian officer who keeps the flies away from the sleeping king by waving a brush made of feathers. In Turkey a cigerci is a seller of liver and lungs and the Danish have a fyrassistent - an assistant lighthouse keeper.

And Spanish speakers in central America have a description of a government employee who only shows up on payday - an aviador.

Which brings us back to de Boinod's title: tingo is an invaluable word from the Pascuense language of Easter Island meaning "to borrow objects from a friend's house, one by one, until there's nothing left".

The Meaning of Tingo by Adam Jacot de Boinod is published by Penguin.

[Edited at 2005-09-26 16:53]

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:34
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Gjeta plot fjalë mustaqesh :) Sep 26, 2005

Kuptohet që në artikullin e mësipërm autori nuk i ka shkruar të plota fjalët shqipe, por e ka lënë jashtë pjesën e fjalës "mustaqe".

Megjithatë, sapo kontrollova fjalorin shqip-shqip dhe gjeta dymbëdhjetë emra të ndryshëm për mustaqet:

mustaqebigë, mustaqefshesë, mustaqegjemb, mustaqehollë, mustaqekuq, mustaqemadh, mustaqemi, mustaqepadirsur, mustaqepërdredhur, mustaqerruar, mustaqespicë, mustaqeshtëllungë, mustaqezi.... See more
Kuptohet që në artikullin e mësipërm autori nuk i ka shkruar të plota fjalët shqipe, por e ka lënë jashtë pjesën e fjalës "mustaqe".

Megjithatë, sapo kontrollova fjalorin shqip-shqip dhe gjeta dymbëdhjetë emra të ndryshëm për mustaqet:

mustaqebigë, mustaqefshesë, mustaqegjemb, mustaqehollë, mustaqekuq, mustaqemadh, mustaqemi, mustaqepadirsur, mustaqepërdredhur, mustaqerruar, mustaqespicë, mustaqeshtëllungë, mustaqezi.

Jam e bindur që mund të ketë edhe fjalë të tjera, se ne e kemi fjalorin e pasur, sidomos për të bërë shaka, apo jo?

Monika
Collapse

Eva T
Eva T
English to Albanian
+ ...
Ha ha ha Sep 26, 2005

Unë mendoj se shqipja është e pasur me epitete!!! Ne jemi të vetmit për t'u vënë nofka të tjerëve, ja çfarë mendoj unë.

Ja disa epitete të tjera:
mustaqemi, mustaqepresh, mustaqegjatë, mustaqebardhë, mustaqebutë, mustaqemisër, mustaqeqepë, mustaqegjilpërë
(Doni më të tjera apo të ndaloj këtu?)

p.s. O Monika, po sa mirë bëre që na hape këtë rubrikë se më kish marrë malli për ca nofka dhe epitete të tilla që s'i kisha dëgjuar qysh kur isha në Shqipëri

Monika Coulson wrote:

mustaqebigë, mustaqefshesë, mustaqegjemb, mustaqehollë, mustaqekuq, mustaqemadh, mustaqemi, mustaqepadirsur, mustaqepërdredhur, mustaqerruar, mustaqespicë, mustaqeshtëllungë, mustaqezi.

Jam e bindur që mund të ketë edhe fjalë të tjera, se ne e kemi fjalorin e pasur, sidomos për të bërë shaka, apo jo?

Monika

Fabiana Papastefani-Pezzoni
Fabiana Papastefani-Pezzoni  Identity Verified
Albania
Local time: 06:34
Member (2003)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Edhe disa Sep 27, 2005

Mustaqe shtellunge (me falni per mungesen e germave shqipe, por nuk jam ne kompjuterin tim), mustaqe karrrote....nuk po me kujtohen te tjerat se edhe une kam ditur shume nga keto.

Pershendetje te tereve dhe te na falin mustaqellinjte...

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Çfarë mendoni për fjalët shqipe në artikullin e mëposhtëm?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »