Patrick Wahl
Patrick Wahl  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:28
Portuguese to German
+ ...
Aug 29, 2016

Hi,

in Wordfast Pro 3, am I able to save the translated xliff file as a word file? And creating a Word file with the original layout of the xliff file that can be delivered to the client?

Thanks for any quick help

Happy Monday

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:28
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nope Aug 29, 2016

Patrick Wahl wrote:
In Wordfast Pro 3, am I able to save the translated xliff file as a word file?

No, generally only the program that created the XLF file can generate the final target file. That's the advantage of XLF, namely that tools that didn't create it can still (theoretically) safely edit it. The disadvantage is that users might then have the expectation that you're having, namely that any tool that can edit XLF files should also be able to generate the final target file.

Patrick Wahl
Patrick Wahl  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:28
Portuguese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WFP created XLF file corrupted Aug 29, 2016

Ok, so now I know. But would it be technically possible? Or is it a question of copyright or code or whatever that no other tool is "allowed" to make this conversion?

My problem right now is that the client says the XLF file that I created with WFP is corrupted and she can't create the Word file from it.

I followed the normal workflow for proofreading:

Opened XLF in WFP

Exported for review to Word

Imported reviewed Word file --> Cr
... See more
Ok, so now I know. But would it be technically possible? Or is it a question of copyright or code or whatever that no other tool is "allowed" to make this conversion?

My problem right now is that the client says the XLF file that I created with WFP is corrupted and she can't create the Word file from it.

Opened XLF in WFP

Exported for review to Word

Imported reviewed Word file --> Created "merged txml"

Opened TXML --> "save translated file" as XLF

I don't know how or where it got corrupted.

(Btw the feature "import review WITH track changes" is not working and never worked. It only works when you tick "accept track changes" before importing. So I could have done the review straight in the XLF file.)
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:28
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Patrick Aug 29, 2016

Patrick Wahl wrote:
But would it be technically possible? Or is it a question of copyright or code or whatever that no other tool is "allowed" to make this conversion?

My guess is that it would be perfectly legal, but expensive to develop and ultimately not 100% reliable.

* Opened XLF in WFP
* Exported for review to Word
* Imported reviewed Word file --> Created "merged txml"
* Opened TXML --> "save translated file" as XLF
I don't know how or where it got corrupted.

Your workflow appears to be in order (although I never deal with XLF files in WFP myself), so I can't assist with that.

The feature "import review WITH track changes" is not working and never worked. It only works when you tick "accept track changes" before importing.

Yes, I've never been able to figure out what that "with tracked changes" meant either.

==

Two things to try:

1. Make sure your SDLXLIFF file does not contain the language code that WFP automatically inserts somewhere towards the end of the file. I.e. make sure the SDLXLIFF file you send to the client has exactly the same name as the one she sent you.

2. My Trados 2015 produces SDLXLIFF files in UTF8Y format, but WFP saves the edited file in UTF8N format. What you could try is to open the SDLXLIFF file in a text editor such as Akelpad and re-save it, this time making sure that the "with BOM" box is ticked when you save it as UTF-8.

[Edited at 2016-08-29 15:10 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLXLIFF --> WORD

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »