How to create a glossary from TM or TXML with Wordfast Pro
Thread poster: yksaito
yksaito
yksaito
Local time: 15:10
Feb 8, 2016

Dear fellow translators,

This is about Wordfast Pro.

I would like to create a JE glossary from TM or TXML file.
I googled whether it is possible, but I am not able to find any information.

If this is possible, could you pelse tell me how to do that?

Thanks
Yuko Saito

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:40
Finnish to French
No automatic way Feb 8, 2016

Wordfast Pro has no terminology extraction feature that would automatically match source entries against their target equivalents in bilingual material (eg. TM or TXML).

You can do it manually in the TXML editor of Wordfast Pro: open your TXML, highlight a source term, press Ctrl+Alt+T, highlight the corresponding target term, press Ctrl+Alt+T. Repeat until you have added all the terminology you’re interested in.

It’s the most reliable way to do it anyway.

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:40
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Please clarify your request Feb 8, 2016

Do you want to use entire segments as terms? (So: the source term would be the source-language sentence/segment and the target term the target-language sentence/segment?)

If that's what you need, it is quite straightforward (using Word's "convert text to table" and "Convert table to text" functions, with deleting unnecessary columns in between).

If you want to extract relevant terminology than you have the manual solution proposed by Dominique or you can try various te
... See more
Do you want to use entire segments as terms? (So: the source term would be the source-language sentence/segment and the target term the target-language sentence/segment?)

If that's what you need, it is quite straightforward (using Word's "convert text to table" and "Convert table to text" functions, with deleting unnecessary columns in between).

If you want to extract relevant terminology than you have the manual solution proposed by Dominique or you can try various terminology extract tools (which will require quite a lot of extra manual fine tuning).

Best
Attila
Collapse

yksaito
yksaito
TOPIC STARTER
Dominique -san, thanks for your reply! Feb 9, 2016

Dear Dominique-san,

Thank you so much for your quick reply.

My client wanted me to create a glossary based on the translaton I did for them using Wordfast.

I will manually create a glossary or ask them to introduce Wordfast in their environment!

(Anyway the info you gave me on manually creating a glossary with TXML editor, it is very usufel!! I will try and use it in the future!)

Thanks again,
Yuko

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Wordfast Pro has no terminology extraction feature that would automatically match source entries against their target equivalents in bilingual material (eg. TM or TXML).

You can do it manually in the TXML editor of Wordfast Pro: open your TXML, highlight a source term, press Ctrl+Alt+T, highlight the corresponding target term, press Ctrl+Alt+T. Repeat until you have added all the terminology you’re interested in.

yksaito
yksaito
TOPIC STARTER
Attila-san, Thanks for your reply! Feb 9, 2016

Dear Attila-san,

Thank you so much for your reply!

As I commented in the reply to Dominique-san, I meant to extract relevant terminology.
So I guess, if my client insists, I will have to do that manually or let them install wordfast also so that they can refer to the TM I created.

By the way, about using the entire segments as terms, it would be nice for me to completely understand how to do the Conversion between table and text for future purpose.... See more
Dear Attila-san,

Thank you so much for your reply!

As I commented in the reply to Dominique-san, I meant to extract relevant terminology.
So I guess, if my client insists, I will have to do that manually or let them install wordfast also so that they can refer to the TM I created.

By the way, about using the entire segments as terms, it would be nice for me to completely understand how to do the Conversion between table and text for future purpose.

I did not quite understand what you kindly told me:
"(using Word's "convert text to table" and "Convert table to text" functions, with deleting unnecessary columns in between)."

The source files I have are following:
Original Jap doc (MS WORD)
TXML file I worked on in Wordfast
TM file I created in Wordfast
Translated EN doc (MS WORD)

Sorry if this is a too simple question to ask...

I appriciate your respone!

Thanks&Warm Regards,
Yuko

Attila Piróth wrote:

If you want to extract relevant terminology than you have the manual solution proposed by Dominique or you can try various terminology extract tools (which will require quite a lot of extra manual fine tuning).

Best
Attila
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Export TXML to Word table Feb 9, 2016

yksaito wrote:
By the way, about using the entire segments as terms, it would be nice for me to completely understand how to do the Conversion between table and text for future purpose.

I did not quite understand what you kindly told me:
"(using Word's "convert text to table" and "Convert table to text" functions, with deleting unnecessary columns in between)."

I don’t know if it’s what Attila had in mind, but you can easily obtain a Word table from a translated TXML: just use the Export Review function found under the Bilingual Export tab of the PM Perspective.

Once you’ve got your Word table, it’s easy to get rid of the unwanted columns and rows, convert the trimmed down table to tab-delimited text and save it as a text file, which basically gives you a Wordfast glossary.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Client can also do it Feb 9, 2016

yksaito wrote:
My client wanted me to create a glossary based on the translaton I did for them using Wordfast.

I will manually create a glossary or ask them to introduce Wordfast in their environment!

(Anyway the info you gave me on manually creating a glossary with TXML editor, it is very usufel!! I will try and use it in the future!)

If they want to do it themselves rather than having you doing it for them, all they need is to install a copy of Wordfast Pro, create a glossary, open the TXML and start populating the glossary with Ctrl+Alt+T. This can be done in demo mode and requires next to no WFP skills.
They can also do it in Wordfast Anywhere (same workflow, same shortcut), in which case they don’t even need to install any local software.

Thanks Jun 15, 2016

Dominique Pivard wrote:

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create a glossary from TM or TXML with Wordfast Pro

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »