Wordfast Pro from 3 to 4
Thread poster: JohnWhi
JohnWhi
JohnWhi
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:26
French to English
Oct 1, 2015

I really like the new Wordfast Pro 4 Public Preview but I think I will need to keep WFP3 going for the time being, at least until final release. The following questions have arisen today in my first use of it, and I am sure that others here will know the answers.
1) Is there any easy way of importing a Wordfast Pro 3.4.5 project into Wordfast Pro 4 or of enabling the latter to open a txml file?
2) It seems easy enough to import the txt TM into the new format, but is there an easy way
... See more
I really like the new Wordfast Pro 4 Public Preview but I think I will need to keep WFP3 going for the time being, at least until final release. The following questions have arisen today in my first use of it, and I am sure that others here will know the answers.
1) Is there any easy way of importing a Wordfast Pro 3.4.5 project into Wordfast Pro 4 or of enabling the latter to open a txml file?
2) It seems easy enough to import the txt TM into the new format, but is there an easy way of going in the opposite direction other than by exporting to TMX and then using either WFP3 or Wordfast Converter to produce a txt TM?
Of course I recognise that changes will be made to the Preview before the final version, but the questions relate to the period before I go "all in".
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:26
English to French
+ ...
No answer to question 2 Oct 1, 2015

I basically asked question 2 during yesterday's webinar, but only got a half-answer, namely that WfC and WfP3 TMs and glossaries can indeed be imported into WfP 4, it being specified that WfP4 glossaries and TM are a different format.

JohnWhi wrote:

2) It seems easy enough to import the txt TM into the new format, but is there an easy way of going in the opposite direction other than by exporting to TMX and then using either WFP3 or Wordfast Converter to produce a txt TM?
Of course

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:26
Member (2006)
French to English
TM exporting, project organization Oct 2, 2015

Hi John,

I just noticed that there is no export to TXT format which is strange. I will submit a ticket ASAP. In any event, you can import a TMX file with Wordfast Classic or Wordfast Pro 3.
We are discussing a way to make it easy to sync TMs so users can switch between Wordfast Pro 3 or Classic and Pro 4.

As far as importing a TXML file into Wordfast Pro 4, there is a TXML filter. Unfortunately, there is no way of importing a project with its settings (TM, gloss
... See more
Hi John,

I just noticed that there is no export to TXT format which is strange. I will submit a ticket ASAP. In any event, you can import a TMX file with Wordfast Classic or Wordfast Pro 3.
We are discussing a way to make it easy to sync TMs so users can switch between Wordfast Pro 3 or Classic and Pro 4.

As far as importing a TXML file into Wordfast Pro 4, there is a TXML filter. Unfortunately, there is no way of importing a project with its settings (TM, glossary/blacklists, and links to recent files). When you decide to migrate, this is what I have done (still thinking about the best way to name/organize project folders, feel free to comment):
1. Create client-specific projects with timestamp at the beginning: YYMMDD client-endclient_FIELD One or two word description
2. Primary TM/glossary names: client-endclient_FIELD_ssss_tttt
3. Secondary TM/glossary: FTM_INTLDEV_frfr_enus and FG_INTLDEV_frfr_enus

For example, a project related to elephant trafficking for a direct client called IFW in the international development field would be:
YYMMDD ifw_INTLDEV Elephant trafficking blog post
Primary TM and glossary would have the same names and are saved in a TM and glossary folder respectively:
ifw_INTLDEV_frfr_enus
Secondary TM and glossary would be field based. By writing to two TMs, I can leverage translations done for one client in INTLDEV with another client in the same field.

There is a simpler way of doing things, namely—like in wfp4—just create one project per client and drop files into it as you get them. When finished translating the file, click on save translated file from the TXLF editor and that's it. However, you won't be able to leverage some advanced project management features in the future, such as exporting a package and sending it to a colleague for revision. You can also create a big momma TM/glossary that stores everything (i.e. not distinguish between different fields). This might work if you are very specialized and don't do a legal translation, then finance, then something marketing related to IT or cosmetics! Doesn't make sense in the latter case to store everything in a massive TM.

With my system, I can use the advanced project creation wizard to create a new project based on a project from the list of projects. I can see the previous project I did for the client, select it and run the wizard. It will automatically use the TMs, glossaries, and blacklist from the previous project, I just need to add the files.
If I have a brand new client that is in the INTLDEV field with no TM or glossary, I would chose another client in the INTLDEV field as a project template. When I get to the TM selection, I would remove the other client's TM and create a new one for the new client. Idem for the glossary.

Note: I use an Excel spreadsheet that lists standardized field acronyms. This is important so you don't create a TM using SWRE for software, then forget later and create a new one with IT… Keep it consistent!

As I said, when migrating to wfp4 from 3, I am basically moving a similar structure over to wfp4 on a case by case basis. When an INTLDEV project comes up for IFW, I will migrate the appropriate linguistic assets over to wfp4. When and INTLDEV project comes up for Client XYZ, I will move their TM over, etc.
Gradually, my TMs and glossaries will migrate over.

When you do decide to migrate from 3 to 4, it is a good opportunity to take stock of your current organization and think if you could improve it in light of the new features available in 4.

There is one problem with the glossaries in Wordfast Pro right now that really annoys me: I can't add a term to two glossaries at the same time. I am pestering development to implement this improvement.

Of course, you could go the simple route: one project, one TM, one glossary

I hope this helps and would love to hear how others organize things…

Best,

John
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Must be able to import legacy projects Oct 2, 2015

John Di Rico wrote:
Unfortunately, there is no way of importing a project with its settings (TM, glossary/blacklists, and links to recent files).

In my opinion this would be a very important thing to have. It can't be that hard (from a programmer's perspective) to create such a converter, or at least to create a project converter wizard that tries to detect most aspects of the legacy project and asks the user to fill in the blanks.

Irene Elmerot
Irene Elmerot  Identity Verified
Dutch to Swedish
+ ...
Problems with larger glossaries Oct 2, 2015

Sorry for the double-post, but since noone asnweredd in the WFP yahoo group, I have to try here as well. It seems smaller WFP3 glossaries can be imported into WFP4, but when they are slighty larger, it just dosn't do the job. Neither of my 1000+ words glossaries have been imported, it just says it's loading, with 0 percent complete. I removed some terms that had a non-alphabetical character in the first position, but it still just won't import... See more
Sorry for the double-post, but since noone asnweredd in the WFP yahoo group, I have to try here as well. It seems smaller WFP3 glossaries can be imported into WFP4, but when they are slighty larger, it just dosn't do the job. Neither of my 1000+ words glossaries have been imported, it just says it's loading, with 0 percent complete. I removed some terms that had a non-alphabetical character in the first position, but it still just won't import
Any ideas?

(WFP4.5.0, Mac OS 10.10.5, MacBook Pro)
Collapse

JohnWhi
JohnWhi
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:26
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Project and TM conversion Oct 2, 2015

Very many thanks to John for the detailed answer, that I will copy and save for reference. The bit about the txml filter is particularly useful, and I see it works easily. I agree with Samuel that some way to convert the whole project and settings would be useful. I also look forward to Wordfast Converter being able to cope directly with the new format, as it has come to the rescue in the past with things that Wordfast Pro could not handle.

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Test on another machine Oct 2, 2015

Irene Elmerot wrote:

Sorry for the double-post, but since noone asnweredd in the WFP yahoo group, I have to try here as well. It seems smaller WFP3 glossaries can be imported into WFP4, but when they are slighty larger, it just dosn't do the job. Neither of my 1000+ words glossaries have been imported, it just says it's loading, with 0 percent complete. I removed some terms that had a non-alphabetical character in the first position, but it still just won't import
Any ideas?

(WFP4.5.0, Mac OS 10.10.5, MacBook Pro)

Hi Irene,

Can you send me the glossary so I can try on my machine?

If it doesn’t work, then it is probably a bug and I’ll report it.

Thanks!

John

Irene Elmerot
Irene Elmerot  Identity Verified
Dutch to Swedish
+ ...
Sent Oct 2, 2015

Done. Eagerly awaiting the result

John Di Rico wrote:

anitagomez
anitagomez
French to German
+ ...
Import of large glossaries from WFC Oct 8, 2015

Irene Elmerot wrote:

Done. Eagerly awaiting the result

John Di Rico wrote:

Hi Irene, Hi John,

I have got the same problem. WFP4 does not start importing my very large glossary.
Any solutions yet?

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Working on fixing this Oct 8, 2015

anitagomez wrote:

Hi Irene, Hi John,

I have got the same problem. WFP4 does not start importing my very large glossary.
Any solutions yet?

Hi Anita,
Developers are working on it. Just had an idea… Have you tried exporting the glossary as a TBX file and then importing it?

Sorry for the problem!

John

anitagomez
anitagomez
French to German
+ ...
Import of large glossaries from WFC Oct 9, 2015

John Di Rico wrote:

Hi Anita,
Developers are working on it. Just had an idea… Have you tried exporting the glossary as a TBX file and then importing it?

Sorry for the problem!

John

Hi John,

just exported the glossary from WFP 3 (tbx) and imported it into WFP4. Worked fine. The glossary is there where it should be.

Thanks very much for your help.

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Workaround through TBX Oct 9, 2015

anitagomez wrote:

just exported the glossary from WFP 3 (tbx) and imported it into WFP4. Worked fine. The glossary is there where it should be.

Thanks very much for your help.

Thanks for letting us know!

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
No direct way to open a TXML file? Oct 17, 2015

John Di Rico wrote:
As far as importing a TXML file into Wordfast Pro 4, there is a TXML filter. Unfortunately, there is no way of importing a project with its settings...

I have installed WF4 and (or maybe I am missing something obvious?) found no way to simply open a legacy TXML file. If there is no simple way to do so, this makes the new version hardly usable for those who get lots of ready TXMLs from customers. Having the "File - Open TXML" option is a must for the new version.

Another thing is the problem with the 'locales': I, for example, get TXMLs from my client as EN-ru, EN_GB-RU, EN_GB_RU_ru, EN_US-RU_ru etc etc etc. My question is: would it be possible for the users of the new version to work with all this diversity using a single TM (like ANY_TM in SDL Studio)?

Natalia

[Edited at 2015-10-17 20:19 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Natalie Oct 18, 2015

Natalie wrote:
I have installed WF4 and ... found no way to simply open a legacy TXML file. ... Having the "File - Open TXML" option is a must for the new version.

WFP4 supports drag and dropping of TXML files. If a project view is open, and you drag and drop a TXML file onto WFP4, WFP4 will attempt to add the TXML file to that project. If no project view is open (i.e. even if a project is open, but you're not currently in a view of that project), WFP4 will start the project creation wizard with your TXML file.

Unfortunately WFP4 is project-based, which means that all translatable files must be part of a "project" and reside in a set of nested folders that are created when you create the project. You have control over where the project's root folder is created, but you can't control which subfolders are created or where the source and target files are stored within that project folder tree. Unlike WFP3, in which all files pertaining to a translation could be stored in a single folder.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
I see, thank you Samuel Oct 18, 2015

New software versions are assumed to be better than the older ones but unfortunately it takes much time until they really become better...

Looks like I would need to create unlimited number of projects with weird pairs like listed in my previous post (i.e. EN-ru, EN_GB-RU, EN_GB_RU_ru, EN_US-RU_ru etc etc etc) as I never know which 'locale' I would get from project managers next time. Most probably I will just keep WF3 so far and work with TXMLs in SDL Studio as I do now.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro from 3 to 4

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »