Thread poster: Mark Hamlen
Mark Hamlen
Mark Hamlen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:44
French to English
+ ...
Jan 29, 2015

I have the impression that when I run an analysis (with the appropriate TM enabled) WFC only examines the repetitions etc. inside the document being analysed. It doesn't seem to be checking against the TM. Am I right?

I'd like to know before accepting a job if I have a lot of text already in the TM that will speed up the job (to help with my scheduling.... not to give a discount). I often work for clients (lawyers) who have ongoing cases and I've translated several documents already
... See more
I have the impression that when I run an analysis (with the appropriate TM enabled) WFC only examines the repetitions etc. inside the document being analysed. It doesn't seem to be checking against the TM. Am I right?

I'd like to know before accepting a job if I have a lot of text already in the TM that will speed up the job (to help with my scheduling.... not to give a discount). I often work for clients (lawyers) who have ongoing cases and I've translated several documents already in these cases. I'm sometimes surprised when I have almost nothing new to translate in a big file (like a birthday present).

Is there some special procedure for checking a new document against the TM?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
WFC does refer to the TM Jan 29, 2015

Mark Hamlen wrote:

No, I regularly run analyses using WFC against an active TM, and the TM most certainly is taken into account.

If there is no TM, then only repetitions are indicated (the other rows are all zeros). If there is a TM, and there are matches, then the lines for 100% and other percentages also have numbers in them.

Try this: translate one segment in that document (so that the translation is added to the TM), and then remove the segment again (Alt+Delete), and rerun the analysis. It should now have at least one 100% match in the analysis.

What WFC does not do, is calculate internal fuzzy matches. WFP can do that (even if you don't have a licence for it).

[Edited at 2015-01-29 13:56 GMT]

Mark Hamlen
Mark Hamlen  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank, Samuel Jan 31, 2015

Now I understand. I was always puzzled by the "repetitions" and then the numbers. Thanks for explaining.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFC: analysis doesn't seem to refer to the TM

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »