Freeze 10 seconds or more with Microsoft Translator API
Thread poster: Yong-Zho Zhang
Yong-Zho Zhang
Yong-Zho Zhang
Local time: 14:43
Chinese to English
+ ...
Nov 25, 2014

Pretty often, I see Wordfast Pro (3.4.2) freeze on pressing Alt+down (next segment),
obviously due to connection time with Microsoft Translator database server.
But during that waiting time, I could have typed in my own input.

I mean, could it just not freeze? When human is faster than machine database, why not allow the translator to put in translation at the same time. And when the query result from database servers does come, just insert it right after .

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:43
Finnish to French
Blame the government Nov 25, 2014

yongzhou wrote:
Pretty often, I see Wordfast Pro (3.4.2) freeze on pressing Alt+down (next segment),
obviously due to connection time with Microsoft Translator database server.

This delay is most likely needed for censorship authorities in your country to check the segments you are sending to Microsoft (and/or receiving from them) don't contain anything subversive...
yongzhou wrote:
But during that waiting time, I could have typed in my own input.

I mean, could it just not freeze? When human is faster than machine database, why not allow the translator to put in translation at the same time. And when the query result from database servers does come, just insert it right after .

Yes, what you would need is a multithreaded program in which querying MT services like Microsoft Translator etc. occurs in one thread, and entering translations in the editor occurs in another thread. Simple enough from a user's point of view, but much trickier for the programmers who need to implement this.

Querying MT in Wordfast Pro is treated like querying a TM, something that normally occurs in a fraction of a second, or 2-3 seconds at most (eg. remote TM). In my experience, querying Microsoft Translator is very fast, and so is querying Google Translate. Therefore it probably doesn't make much sense for Wordfast to implement multithreading, just because governments in some countries make things slower with their censorship efforts.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freeze 10 seconds or more with Microsoft Translator API

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »