katerina turevich
katerina turevich  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:24
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nov 21, 2014

Good morning everyone,

here's the problem: I have a document consisting mainly of text boxes, with sometimes as many ast 3 text boxes on one page. My target text RU is much longer than the original EN, so when I looked at the cleaned document, I realized that on some pages, these text boxes miss the last sentence. It's like trying to preserve the original format of fifteen pages (and it does that ultimately well, down to only one text box appearing on the last page), last sentences
... See more
Good morning everyone,

here's the problem: I have a document consisting mainly of text boxes, with sometimes as many ast 3 text boxes on one page. My target text RU is much longer than the original EN, so when I looked at the cleaned document, I realized that on some pages, these text boxes miss the last sentence. It's like trying to preserve the original format of fifteen pages (and it does that ultimately well, down to only one text box appearing on the last page), last sentences get pushed out for a lack of space. In one place it manages to keep the text, but really too close to the following line, so that the two last lines almost merge.
Is there anything to do about it?
I will greatly appreciate the help. I delivered the document already, because they called at 9am with a deadline, but I let them know of the problem, and perhaps I should focus on it further myself.
Thanks.
Collapse

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
An idea... Nov 21, 2014

Would using a smaller font work?

katerina turevich
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:) Nov 21, 2014

Thanks for your suggestion Elizabeth!
the whole point of this job was preserving the format. So I left the font size as is. Funnily, I got a message from the agency just now in reply to my mail about the missing text that "it happens all the time with these kind of documents, and that she just hopes the client will accept it". Ok, all the more power! Actually, I find this whole thing more a DTP issue, than translation perhaps. I just thought Worfast may have a tool for that. I mean, it's t
... See more
Thanks for your suggestion Elizabeth!
the whole point of this job was preserving the format. So I left the font size as is. Funnily, I got a message from the agency just now in reply to my mail about the missing text that "it happens all the time with these kind of documents, and that she just hopes the client will accept it". Ok, all the more power! Actually, I find this whole thing more a DTP issue, than translation perhaps. I just thought Worfast may have a tool for that. I mean, it's their environment that causes it it.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:24
Finnish to French
Translator Tools' Document Cleaner Nov 22, 2014

It's not clear to me which Wordfast you were using (Classic or Pro, or even Anywhere), but I assume you were dealing with a Word document obtained by conversion from a PDF. If so, such documents tend to cause problems in all CAT tools, not just Wordfast. You may want to process them documents with the Document Cleaner function of Translator Tools, prior to translating them with Wordfast.

katerina turevich
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes, Wordfast Pro 3 Nov 22, 2014

and yes, originally it was a .pdf file. I have that file too, but what I got to work with from the agency was an already converted Word document. It seemed well done, I didn't expect any trouble ( I also didn't have any trouble translating the document). It was just only in the clean document that I noticed some text was missing. The agency took the responsibility for it, so I don't have to worry.
Thank you for the link Dominique anyway: I saved it, and will use it later if needed. Except,
... See more
and yes, originally it was a .pdf file. I have that file too, but what I got to work with from the agency was an already converted Word document. It seemed well done, I didn't expect any trouble ( I also didn't have any trouble translating the document). It was just only in the clean document that I noticed some text was missing. The agency took the responsibility for it, so I don't have to worry.
Thank you for the link Dominique anyway: I saved it, and will use it later if needed. Except, I wouldn't know ahead of time if this has to be done. According to this link and my agency, it happens all the time with text boxes. Would you use this Document Cleaner as a precautionary measure? And would it be up to me, or do I have to trust the agency to send me a file which is satisfactory in all regards?
Collapse

Thomas Rebotier
Thomas Rebotier  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:24
English to French
DTP not your job but proofing is... Nov 22, 2014

I'd definitely shrink the font to proof the document in context. CAT tools sometimes do stupid things because especially of segmentation, so you can't read, and even less return, a document where part of the text is hidden.

As for preserving the format, the client must be aware that a busy page in English will need a smaller font in most other languages, so if there is no real estate to enlarge the text boxes, the text will have to shrink. I'd rather deliver smaller font than invis
... See more
I'd definitely shrink the font to proof the document in context. CAT tools sometimes do stupid things because especially of segmentation, so you can't read, and even less return, a document where part of the text is hidden.

As for preserving the format, the client must be aware that a busy page in English will need a smaller font in most other languages, so if there is no real estate to enlarge the text boxes, the text will have to shrink. I'd rather deliver smaller font than invisible text!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast skipping on text

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »