Ctrl+Alt+arrows not working in WFC on laptop with Windows 8.x
Thread poster: Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:33
Finnish to French
Oct 23, 2014

There's a condition where the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+Alt+arrows no longer work in WFC on some Windows 8.x laptops with an Intel HD Graphics 4000 video adapter.

A solution was provided on the Wordfast mailing list in this post. For people who don't have access to the list, here is the relevant part:
The problem disappeared after I went into Device Manager/Video... See more
There's a condition where the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+Alt+arrows no longer work in WFC on some Windows 8.x laptops with an Intel HD Graphics 4000 video adapter.

A solution was provided on the Wordfast mailing list in this post. For people who don't have access to the list, here is the relevant part:
The problem disappeared after I went into Device Manager/Video adapters/Intel HD Graphics 4000/Properties/Driver and clicked on the Roll Back Driver button and that seems to have done the trick. The driver now loaded is Intel Corporation dated 22/01/2014 and version no. 10.18.10.3412.
This trick worked for one affected person on the Finnish list, but not for another one. What did work for that other person, however, was retrieving version 10.18.10.3412 of the driver for the Intel HD Graphics 4000 address, available here, and manually installing it.

If the link no longer works, just google "Intel HD Graphics 4000" + "10.18.10.3412" in order to find another location.

The issue affected WFC users, but it may affect WFP users as well, since the same keyboard shortcuts can be used in WFP.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast wiki Oct 23, 2014

Just noticed the original issue and the first solution were already mentioned on the Wordfast wiki:

http://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Shortcut_Troubleshooting

However, the second solution (if the first one, ie. rolling back to the older version via Control Panel, doesn't work) is still valid.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Can also affect laptops with HD 5500 running Windows 7 May 26, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Actually, this problem is not restricted to the HD 4000 adapter, nor to Windows 8: I experienced it on my new laptop with an HD 5500 and Windows 7.

Unfortunately, there is no older driver to roll back to, as with the HD 4000. However, the following trick worked for me:

1) in the settings of the HD 5500, I first enabled hotkeys

2) then I changed the three hotkeys used for placeables in WFC that rotated the display (Ctrl+Alt+arrow right/down/left). I replaced them with Ctrl+Alt+H/J/E:

http://screencast.com/t/6ELbcRsXq6

3) I disabled hotkeys

Now Ctrl+Alt+H/J/E do nothing, and Ctrl+Alt+arrows work normally in WFC.

I chose Ctrl+Alt+H and Ctrl+Alt+J because they do nothing in Word, nor in WFC. As to Ctrl+Alt+E, it is normally used to obtain the euro sign (€). However, it's possible to obtain the euro sign in other ways (for instance, I can get it with AltGr+5 on my Finnish keyoard), so the now non-working Ctrl+Alt+E is no big loss.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ctrl+Alt+arrows not working in WFC on laptop with Windows 8.x

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »