Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:38
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sep 30, 2014

Hello everyone

I've noticed something odd about the way WFP's bilingual review feature deals with square brackets for a while now, but today I actually tested it, to be sure I wasn't just dreaming. WFP breaks square brackets in the text.

Suppose your source text (MS Word) contains this:

(note how each of the three numbers are formatted)

The
... See more
Hello everyone

I've noticed something odd about the way WFP's bilingual review feature deals with square brackets for a while now, but today I actually tested it, to be sure I wasn't just dreaming. WFP breaks square brackets in the text.

Suppose your source text (MS Word) contains this:

(note how each of the three numbers are formatted)

Then the TXML file will contain this:

...which still looks good.

Then, if you perform a bilingual review export, it will look like this:

(note the doubled brackets, highlighted in yellow by me)

And, if the editor doesn't quite understand tags and don't fix it, or if the editor doesn't see the problem, even if the tags are still correctly marked in red and in tw4winInternal style, then it is then imported (i.e. "merged") into the TXML like this:

But suppose the editor was savvy, and even if he fixed the broken brackets in the bilingual review file, like this:

Then all his efforts would have been for naught, because it is imported into the TXML file like this:

In fact, I was unable to find a hackish way to fool WFP into importing the text from bilingual review so that the square brackets and the tags that sit next to them are not broken.

How does one work around this terrible, terrible bug?

Thanks
Samuel

[Edited at 2014-09-30 11:01 GMT]
Collapse

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 23:38
Add Space Sep 30, 2014

How does one work around this terrible, terrible bug?

Hi Samuel,

The workaround is to add a space after two square brackets, like instead of [[[ enter [[space[. For Ex: [1]Test translation[[ [2]1[3]][4]2[5][[ [6]3[7]] testing testing testing[8]

Once the TXML is merged you need to remove the space from merged TXML.

The issue is with the escape character for square brackets added to non tag characters is doubled to avoid confusion with tags square brackets.

Question is since using [ as escape character causes issues like above, what would be the best escape character to use for square brackets?

Thank you,

John

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:38
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@John Sep 30, 2014

jsingaram wrote:
The issue is with the escape character for square brackets added to non tag characters is doubled to avoid confusion with tags square brackets.

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think there is any risk of confusion (for the import mechanism) either way, since the tags are marked in red and in the tw4winInternal style, and non-tag text is black and in the Normal or Default Paragraph style.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFP: Bilingual review breaks square brackets

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »