Alt + down does not work on WordFast Pro
Thread poster: transfromlima
transfromlima
transfromlima  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:07
English to Spanish
Sep 22, 2014

Dear Dominique or WFP team:

I have installed WordFast Professional version 3.0 in a XP microsoft PC, but when I press Alt+Down to move to the next segment, it doesn't change to the purple color that save automatically the segment to the TM. It keeps the pink color.

Do you know something about it? How can I fix this?

I don't believe it is a keyboard issue , since the other keyboard combinations work well.

Thks,

Mónica Arroyo

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:07
Finnish to French
Alt+Down works, TM doesn't Sep 22, 2014

If Alt+Down sends you to the next segment, it does the job it's supposed to do. If the status of the segment that you just exited didn't change, then there's a problem with the connection to your TM.

Can you remove your TM and add it back? When doing so, do you see the TM connection established successfully message?

transfromlima
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
It worked Sep 22, 2014

Dominique:

Many thanks for ur advice, it is changing now from pink to purple. Nevertheless, in a segment with a 67% of coincidence more or less, instead of this percentage it shows 0 % in gray color. This is a WFP with license version 3.3.0; but in another computer where I have installed WFP version 3.4 it shows me the 67% score for the segment that it almost the same as the previous one.

Why is that?
Thks
Mónica Arroyo

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:07
Finnish to French
Calculation of fuzzy matches Sep 23, 2014

Calculating fuzzy matches in CAT tools is not an exact science. Different tools will most likely give different match percentages for the same segments. It's even possible different versions of the same tool also give different match percentages.

If your concern is not seeing fuzzy matches that you know (or think) are in the TM, just lower the fuzzy match threshold. In Wordfast Pro, it is 75% by default, but you can lower it all the way down to 40%. This is done under Edit > Prefere
... See more
Calculating fuzzy matches in CAT tools is not an exact science. Different tools will most likely give different match percentages for the same segments. It's even possible different versions of the same tool also give different match percentages.

If your concern is not seeing fuzzy matches that you know (or think) are in the TM, just lower the fuzzy match threshold. In Wordfast Pro, it is 75% by default, but you can lower it all the way down to 40%. This is done under Edit > Preferences > Translation Memory

As to why there is no fuzzy match for a given segment, when you think there should be one, you should give us the source segment to be translated, and the source segment from the TM that should (according to you) yield a fuzzy match. You can use concordance search to retrieve that segment.
Collapse

transfromlima
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Attributes in WFP Sep 26, 2014

Hi Dominique:

Thanks for replying my last concern. It was helpful;)

I am trying to understand better the options on WFP under Edit > Preferences > Translation Memory. On this, under "When editing an existing TU", option: "Add to TM; overwrite existing TU if attibutes are identical (default)", I don't undestand what is an ´attibute´. Could you please give me an example. Where do I find these attributes?, What does it do?, Does it affect somehow my translation if I don
... See more
Hi Dominique:

Thanks for replying my last concern. It was helpful;)

I am trying to understand better the options on WFP under Edit > Preferences > Translation Memory. On this, under "When editing an existing TU", option: "Add to TM; overwrite existing TU if attibutes are identical (default)", I don't undestand what is an ´attibute´. Could you please give me an example. Where do I find these attributes?, What does it do?, Does it affect somehow my translation if I don't use it? What is it?

thnks 1 more time.

greetings,

Mónica Arroyo
Lima, Perú
Collapse

Thomas Rebotier
Thomas Rebotier  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:07
English to French
Check special keys of your computer Sep 27, 2014

Some computers, espcially laptops, have key combo assignments for special functions. For example activate the VGA graphics output for a projector, or turn the sound off/on/louder/less, or increase/decrease screen brightness. It's possible that your alt+down key is already mapped to such a function, if so, you will have to click on the icon on the top toolbar...

transfromlima
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Sep 29, 2014

Dear Thomas:

Thank you for your advice. Yes, I could fix the problem, but it was something to do with the translation memory connection.

Everything is working well so far.

Thnks again.

Greetings,
Mónica Arroyo
Lima, Peru

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alt + down does not work on WordFast Pro

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »