Thread poster: neilmac
neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 00:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 19, 2014

I came up against an issue when translating a PPTX file this week. I'm using Wordfast Classic, as usual, and when I try to save the PPTX, I get a message something like this ": “Powerpoint has detected an error that cannot be resolved. Save the presentations, exit and reboot Powerpoint.” However, when I try to do this, it will not let me save or even close without saving, and the only way to get out of the program seems to be to unplug the computer.

The funny thing is that the f
... See more
I came up against an issue when translating a PPTX file this week. I'm using Wordfast Classic, as usual, and when I try to save the PPTX, I get a message something like this ": “Powerpoint has detected an error that cannot be resolved. Save the presentations, exit and reboot Powerpoint.” However, when I try to do this, it will not let me save or even close without saving, and the only way to get out of the program seems to be to unplug the computer.

The funny thing is that the first 15 pages or slides of the PPTX file have saved correctly; it seems to only be the second half of the file which is causing the problem. If I modify the PPTX manually rather than with Wordfast, it lets me save the file no problem. I have very little technical knowledge but this sounds to me like some sort of incompatibility between Wordfast and PowerPoint, maybe something to do with the Visual Basic thing, which I don't really understand.

Can anyone suggest a workaround or solution? At the moment I'm considering just doing it manually, as it shouldn't take more than an hour, but I would still like to be able to deal with this kind of problem in the future.
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Not the answer you want... sorry! Sep 19, 2014

I used to use WF Classic on ppt files (not sure about pptx?) but am now MUCH happier with the workflow and results on these files processed with WF Pro.

If you download a demo version of WFP, and plug your TM into it (same format as WFC TMs) it could probably do what you need and it might even be quicker than doing it manually?

Or, maybe just go by trial and error with your current set up, try doing slides one by one to see if you can pinpoint the one that is causing
... See more
I used to use WF Classic on ppt files (not sure about pptx?) but am now MUCH happier with the workflow and results on these files processed with WF Pro.

If you download a demo version of WFP, and plug your TM into it (same format as WFC TMs) it could probably do what you need and it might even be quicker than doing it manually?

Or, maybe just go by trial and error with your current set up, try doing slides one by one to see if you can pinpoint the one that is causing the error?
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still a mystery... Sep 19, 2014

Lori Cirefice wrote:

Or, maybe just go by trial and error with your current set up, try doing slides one by one to see if you can pinpoint the one that is causing the error?

There are about 15 slides left (half of the original PPTX file). I managed to insert the text manually and save it in the first 3, but when I try to save the next slide, I get the same error message as before. I just don't understand what can be causing it. I don't really have time to start installing and fiddling about with WF Pro - I tried it before and didn't like it - so unless someone comes up with a solution, I'll probably just try to finish the work manually over the weekend.
For now, I've sent the client a copy of the translated text in Word and a copy of what I've managed to do and save so far, to see if they can copy/paste the text then save it on their PCs (they have a lot of tech people in the company).
What's bugging me is that I've been using WFC with Excel files and PPTX this month without any problems except in this one PPT file, so it seems to point to PPTX being the culprit.

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
Save the PPTX as PPT Sep 19, 2014

and THEN translate it.

Lori Cirefice
France
French to English
Something rogue... Sep 19, 2014

I know what you mean about not wanting to fiddle around with a new CAT tool in the middle of a project and I was expecting that reaction.

Have you tried saving as ppt instead of pptx ?

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:33
Finnish to French
PowerPoint & Wordfast Classic Sep 19, 2014

Lori Cirefice wrote:
I used to use WF Classic on ppt files (not sure about pptx?)

The "traditional" method for translating PowerPoint files with Classic should work just the same with PPT and PPTX. It only works with Office 2010 and older. It no longer works with Office 2013/365 (Windows), nor 2011 (Mac).
Lori Cirefice wrote:
but am now MUCH happier with the workflow and results on these files processed with WF Pro.

I second this suggestion: translate PPT/PPTX with Wordfast Pro, or Wordfast Anywhere (they use the same filters) and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble.

People who really want to do the actual translation in Classic can use this unsupported workaround that involves Wordfast Pro (demo version sufficient) and its bilingual review feature.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yep Sep 19, 2014

Lori Cirefice wrote:

Have you tried saving as ppt instead of pptx ?

YesI have, but it makes no difference... I'm leaving it aside for now because more work has come in from the same and another client, but the new files are Excel and Word so I can do them quickly. I'll have a look at the PPT thing when I get these other jobs out of the way. Bang goes another weekend... I was hoping to get at least one day at the beach in, but heigh-ho, no rest for the wicked...

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Different WF versions on same PC? Sep 19, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

The "traditional" method for translating PowerPoint files with Classic should work just the same with PPT and PPTX. It only works with Office 2010 and older. It no longer works with Office 2013/365 (Windows), nor 2011 (Mac).
Lori Cirefice wrote:
but am now MUCH happier with the workflow and results on these files processed with WF Pro.

I second this suggestion: translate PPT/PPTX with Wordfast Pro, or Wordfast Anywhere (they use the same filters) and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble.

People who really want to do the actual translation in Classic can use this unsupported workaround that involves Wordfast Pro (demo version sufficient) and its bilingual review feature.

Hi Dominique... AFAIK I have Office 2007 on my main PC and Office 2013 on my backup PC. I have one laptop with Office 2010 on it, and am not sure what mty other laptop has, probably 2010 too. I'll maybe try out WFPro when I get a minute, or else the workaround.
I have one question: can I download and install a demo version of WF Pro without uninstalling or otherwise affecting Classic? I mean, is it possible to have both versions installed without interfering with each other?
Whatever the results, I intend to keep working with Classic at least until I get this heap of work finished... I'll be busy until at least the 10th of October...

Lori Cirefice
France
French to English
Yes Sep 19, 2014

neilmac wrote:

can I download and install a demo version of WF Pro without uninstalling or otherwise affecting Classic? I mean, is it possible to have both versions installed without interfering with each other?
Whatever the results, I intend to keep working with Classic at least until I get this heap of work finished... I'll be busy until at least the 10th of October...

They don't interfere with each other - for sure!

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:33
Finnish to French
No interference! Sep 19, 2014

neilmac wrote:
I have one question: can I download and install a demo version of WF Pro without uninstalling or otherwise affecting Classic? I mean, is it possible to have both versions installed without interfering with each other?

Like Lori said: Classic and Pro don't interfere in any way with each others! You only have to make sure the same TM is not open at the same time in both Classic and Pro.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Latest news Sep 22, 2014

I eventually just copy/pasted and wrote in the translated text, as there wasn't too much anyway.
Funnily enough, the same client sent me a similar large PPT document today which I managed to process/translate with WFC without any hassles at all. So... the reason for the issue with the previous file remains a mystery. Thanks everyone for helping out again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WF and PPT issue

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »