GinaKuhn (X)
GinaKuhn (X)
Poland
Local time: 08:58
Polish to English
+ ...
Feb 12, 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm using WF Classic on a macbook (10.7.5) and Word 2011. I've basically been having WF crash Word every single time I use it. I've noticed this happening in the past, but in the last couple of days, it's been happening almost constantly - as in, nearly every time I navigate away from Word for more than a few minutes to use Firefox or my dictionary (which has to run on Parallels). I'm so frustrated I could scream! Any help would be SO appreciated.

Thanks
... See more
Hi everyone,

I'm using WF Classic on a macbook (10.7.5) and Word 2011. I've basically been having WF crash Word every single time I use it. I've noticed this happening in the past, but in the last couple of days, it's been happening almost constantly - as in, nearly every time I navigate away from Word for more than a few minutes to use Firefox or my dictionary (which has to run on Parallels). I'm so frustrated I could scream! Any help would be SO appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
I have the same problem! Feb 13, 2014

Hi Gina,

I've had this problem for ages, also with a Mac. I've tried to find a solution, but nothing works. I can't open another application while I'm translating with WF Classic, otherwise it crashes. In the meantime I've fallen in love with WF Pro. So much better!
I'm curious to see if someone has a solution to this.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:58
Finnish to French
Dock is the culprit Feb 13, 2014

I'm not a Mac user, but I do have a Mac and I have Wordfast Classic installed on it. In my experience, Word (2011) crashes in connection with using Wordfast Classic are related to switching to other apps (browser etc.) via the Dock. This is of course very unfortunate, but it appears to be a deficiency of Microsoft Word (more specifically, the Mac implementation of it) that Wordfast can't do much about.

Just in case, here is a compendium of things you can try to troubleshoot problems
... See more
I'm not a Mac user, but I do have a Mac and I have Wordfast Classic installed on it. In my experience, Word (2011) crashes in connection with using Wordfast Classic are related to switching to other apps (browser etc.) via the Dock. This is of course very unfortunate, but it appears to be a deficiency of Microsoft Word (more specifically, the Mac implementation of it) that Wordfast can't do much about.

Just in case, here is a compendium of things you can try to troubleshoot problems with Word 2011:

http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=171-21
Collapse

GinaKuhn (X)
GinaKuhn (X)
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 13, 2014

Maaike and Dominique,

Thank you both! I think the dock is the culprit. I'm glad that it's not a problem with WF itself, although it does mean that there's not much anyone can do about it. I'll have to get in the habit of clicking between multiple windows on the main screen or switching between them using command+tab (this seems to get around the problem).

I'll have to try out Pro sometime and see if I like it.

Thanks again.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Wordfast on Mac Feb 13, 2014

Maaike van Vlijmen wrote:
I've had this problem for ages, also with a Mac. I've tried to find a solution, but nothing works. I can't open another application while I'm translating with WF Classic, otherwise it crashes. I'm curious to see if someone has a solution to this.

Actually, you can open them, or at least switch to them while translating with Classic, as long as you don't involve the Dock when doing so. You may want to have a look at this quick & dirty video I recorded for internal use last year:

http://youtu.be/W8ilYa84VEo?hd=1

In it, I show when/how crashes do not occur, when/how they occur and what to do (= not using the Dock) for preventing them. Not very satisfactory, but better than nothing.

Maaike van Vlijmen wrote:
In the meantime I've fallen in love with WF Pro. So much better!

Gina can have her Classic license converted to a Pro license at no cost, if it's what she wants. I'm still in love with Classic, but I believe Pro is very stable on Mac.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Auto-hiding the Dock solves the problem Nov 22, 2014

Actually, auto-hiding the Dock appears to solve the problem. More here:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2014/11/22/solution-to-wordfast-classic-crashes-on-mac/
or
http://youtu.be/j7A769GdeEA

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Classic crashes constantly!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »