Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How to select multiple segments in WF Pro?
Thread poster: Leopoldo Gurman
Leopoldo Gurman
Leopoldo Gurman
United States
Local time: 10:21
English to Spanish
Jan 12, 2013

Hi colleagues!
Here is the situation: I'm working in WF Pro on a partially translated file, I'd like to mark the first part as confirmed and remove the target text from the second part (it's just the source text repeated, this comes from a presegmented ttx).
I can do both things one segment at a time, I'm just wondering how to apply this to multiple segments simultaneously.
Thanks in advance,

Leo

xegonzalez
xegonzalez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
did you ever get an answer? Feb 20, 2015

I looked on the forums to see what others suggested for multiple segment selection and the solution of
select segment number -- hold shift key -- select last segment

doesn't seem to work.
Did you come up with something else?
thanks
elena

rockey yadav

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:21
Member (2006)
French to English
Feature request Feb 23, 2015

Hi Elena and Leo,

I'll bring this up with the development team and see if we can add this feature. I can see how this could be useful.

Thanks for your feedback,

John Di Rico

Wordfast
Manager, Training and Sales

Register today for the Wordfast Forward User Conference in Riga, Latvia - May 28-31, 2015

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Use cases for multi-selecting segments Mar 9, 2015

Dear Leo and Elena,

This is the feedback I got from our developers:

"We would have to be able to define how it would work for each editor action. In order to start work on something this large we would have to start gathering and documenting expected behavior for each action when more than one segment is selected."

The developers would like to know what the biggest uses would be for multi-selecting segments?

Based on your previous post and som
... See more
Dear Leo and Elena,

"We would have to be able to define how it would work for each editor action. In order to start work on something this large we would have to start gathering and documenting expected behavior for each action when more than one segment is selected."

The developers would like to know what the biggest uses would be for multi-selecting segments?

Based on your previous post and some ideas, I can think of these:
1. Mark as confirmed
2. Mark as unconfirmed
3. Commit to TM
4. Delete target

Any others you can think of?

Please post here!

John Di Rico

Register today for the Wordfast Forward User Conference in Riga, Latvia - May 28-31, 2015
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Merging segments Jun 30, 2015

It would be useful to select multiple segments and merge with one command.

[Edited at 2015-06-30 03:28 GMT]

Leopoldo Gurman
Leopoldo Gurman
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Also, copy source to target Jun 30, 2015

Copy source to target on multiple segments (but not all of them) could also be useful, in this case the selection should allow for non-contiguous segments.

Bhagavati
Bhagavati
India
Local time: 19:51
English to German
+ ...
Useful also for spellcheck Jul 5, 2015

Hello, although this topic is already from long ago, I would like to add that the ability to select multiple segments also would be helpful when it comes to spellcheck. A document may have a large amount of numericals and other such information - which will make the spellcheck painstaking!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Still can't be done Jul 5, 2015

Leopoldo Gurman wrote:
I can do both things one segment at a time, I'm just wondering how to apply this to multiple segments simultaneously.

No, it can't be done. It cannot be done. If you need to do this on the fly, then you're in trouble.

If, however, you only need to do this once or twice, then you can use the bilingual review export feature to export the TXML file to DOC, edit the segments in the DOC file, and then import it back again. You can clear segments in this way, but you can't e.g. mark segments as edited (not unless you export and import twice).

Leopoldo Gurman
Leopoldo Gurman
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 11, 2015

Hi Samuel,
Thanks for your reply, for some mysterious reason, I had missed it till now.

Leo

Pepa Devesa
Pepa Devesa
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
more reasons to select multiple segments May 22, 2020

Another suggestion:
Write all to TM: I inavertently did "do not write all to TM" (by pressing that shortcut, which I cannot remove) but the reverse command does not exist. So wither that one we need or the possibility of select multiple segments and then toggle the "do no write to TM" button.

John Di Rico wrote:

Dear Leo and Elena,

Based on your previous post and some ideas, I can think of these:
1. Mark as confirmed
2. Mark as unconfirmed
3. Commit to TM
4. Delete target

Any others you can think of?

Please post here!

John Di Rico

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 08:21
Shortcut Do not write all segments to TM May 22, 2020

Josefa Devesa wrote:

Another suggestion:
Write all to TM: I inavertently did "do not write all to TM" (by pressing that shortcut, which I cannot remove) but the reverse command does not exist. So wither that one we need or the possibility of select multiple segments and then toggle the "do no write to TM" button.

There is a shortcut in Preferences > Shortcuts for Do not write all segments to TM Ctrl+Shift+Enter, if you want all your segments to have this option removed use this one instead of doing one by one. Since this is a toggle button it will first add to add segments and second run it will remove.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
John

Giacomo Falconi

Leopoldo Gurman
Leopoldo Gurman
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Working with segment subsets / combined with filters Jun 2, 2020

Hi John Daniel,
Thanks for your suggestion.
The need is to easily work with segment subsets (either contiguous or not). Another use for this would be, for example, applying a filter and then marking the resulting segments (or some of them) for certain tasks (those mentioned by John Di Rico and Josefa are spot on).
An additional use could be to add the same note to a bunch of segments (I understand this could be harder to implement and a workaround would be via bilingual export
... See more
Hi John Daniel,
Thanks for your suggestion.
The need is to easily work with segment subsets (either contiguous or not). Another use for this would be, for example, applying a filter and then marking the resulting segments (or some of them) for certain tasks (those mentioned by John Di Rico and Josefa are spot on).
An additional use could be to add the same note to a bunch of segments (I understand this could be harder to implement and a workaround would be via bilingual export/import), but it is something I've come across.
A related function, though not quite the same, would be an inverse filter, which would allow to select non-locked segments and other combinations.
Collapse

Willem Wunderink
Willem Wunderink
Netherlands
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Six years later - nothing happens - Wordfast is dead Aug 14, 2021

If basic features like 'Select all segments' or 'Select segments' (by clicking ID's and hold Shift for example) are still not built in, the program is hopelessly antique and way behind in development.
It strikes me that John Di Rico, Wordfast Manager Training and Sales, doesn't seem to have a clue what translating is about: he needs to ask us what the benefits are!.... It's like asking a bike rider about the benefits of a pedal....
Anyway, six years later Wordfast has not been upgra
... See more
If basic features like 'Select all segments' or 'Select segments' (by clicking ID's and hold Shift for example) are still not built in, the program is hopelessly antique and way behind in development.
It strikes me that John Di Rico, Wordfast Manager Training and Sales, doesn't seem to have a clue what translating is about: he needs to ask us what the benefits are!.... It's like asking a bike rider about the benefits of a pedal....
Anyway, six years later Wordfast has not been upgraded, whilst all professional programs like MemoQ are developped and enhanced with the speed of lightning, so I conclude that Wordfast is bound to die a soft death.
Collapse

Craig Thomas Smith

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Submit feedback report Aug 14, 2021

Willem Wunderink wrote:

Anyway, six years later Wordfast has not been upgraded, whilst all professional programs like MemoQ are developped and enhanced with the speed of lightning, so I conclude that Wordfast is bound to die a soft death.

Dear Willem,

I have many clues as to what translating is about. Besides a master’s degree in transation and localization management from the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey, I have been translating more or less full time since 2005.

In fact, in 16 years of translating with a CAT tool, I recall wanting to multi-select segments only once. In the end, I managed to do what I wanted using the segment filtering feature (available from Wordfast Pro 4.x and up). Hence the reason I asked others to share their use cases (not benefits, which usually are to perform work better, faster, or more easily).

Interestingly, the initial post was made for the legacy version of Wordfast Pro (version 3.x), which did not have a feature to filter segments.

Since then, only a handful of people have requested this feature which perhaps means that the majority of users might not be missing it. Then again, perhaps the silent majority is doing what they do best, remaining silent!

I can only encourage you and others to submit a feedback report via Wordfast Pro to request this feature. These reports go directly to the development team and are helpful for prioritizing improvements, new features, and bug fixes for each release.

Xuling Wu
Xuling Wu
United States
Local time: 07:21
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Wordfast Anywhere is not going anywhere! Aug 28, 2021

Willem Wunderink wrote:

I was planning to jump ship from SmartCat to Wordfast as I thought that Wordfast is a more established brand. Today is my day 1 of trying Wordfast Anywhere. Wordfast is so buggy and counter-intuitive that it took me more than almost an hour to figure out how to add different projects and move between different segments in a document. On SmartCat, it's so easy to understand different features and everything is a just a click when translating a document. Perhaps I will try MemoQ since a lot of job posts on Proz.com seem to require that software. Byebye Wordfast. Wordfast Anywhere is not going anywhere!

Craig Thomas Smith

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to select multiple segments in WF Pro?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »