Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:25
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 22, 2012

Hi all

I've been experiencing this since I installed WF 6.01g on my new MacBook Air with Word 2011 (for Mac). Everytime I'm using WF and I open another application, Word crashes and I need to insert the dot template again (in the dropdown menu). Today I downloaded the beta version of WF 6.02y, hoping it would solve the problem, but it's still happening. It drives me crazy. It doesn't happen when WF is not running.

Does anybody know how to solve this??

Also,
... See more
Hi all

I've been experiencing this since I installed WF 6.01g on my new MacBook Air with Word 2011 (for Mac). Everytime I'm using WF and I open another application, Word crashes and I need to insert the dot template again (in the dropdown menu). Today I downloaded the beta version of WF 6.02y, hoping it would solve the problem, but it's still happening. It drives me crazy. It doesn't happen when WF is not running.

Also, WF often doesn't seem to recognize matches in the TM, also a big problem!

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Maaike
Collapse

Jean-François Pineau
Jean-François Pineau  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
com.microsoft.Word.plist Feb 22, 2012

Hi Maaike,

You can try to delete the file "com.microsoft.Word.plist" in this folder:

/Users/[Home]/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Word.plist
Then, restart Word. It will recreate a new file.

If it doesn't help, please contact the Wordfast list:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/

Jean-François

Maaike van Vlijmen
Netherlands
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
didn't work :( Feb 22, 2012

Hi Jean-François,

Thanks for your suggestion, but it didn't work.
I'll contact the Wordfast list.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:25
Finnish to French
Known problem Feb 22, 2012

Maaike van Vlijmen wrote:

I can only say the problem exists, but I don't know how to solve it. It seems any activity on the Dock will cause Word 2011 to crash.

Also, WF often doesn't seem to recognize matches in the TM, also a big problem!

That should be easier to fix, as it is not a normal behaviour. Do you use Dropbox (or similar programs)? Check for any program (eg. backup) that would be accessing your TM when you are working. Wordfast needs exclusive access to the index file of the TM in order to be able to update it. Failure to get matches is usually caused by an index that is corrupt or out of date. The first thing to do when encountering such a problem is reorganizing your TM.

Just in case, also check 'Penalty on TM' (under Translation Memory > TM rules) is set to zero or a low value. You may also want to lower your fuzzy threshold.

Maaike van Vlijmen
Netherlands
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dropbox Feb 23, 2012

Thanks Dominique, I hadn't thought about that - I do use Dropbox.
I will definitely look into that.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
It's OK to use Dropbox... Feb 23, 2012

... but putting your active TM in a Dropbox folder is not a good idea IMO. Try to copy your active TM outside Dropbox, reorganize your TM and see whether it is serving matches normally. I think it should.

Marcelina Haftka
Marcelina Haftka  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Wordfast vs. Dropbox Feb 23, 2012

Good evening Maaike,

I do use both Wf products and Dropbox. It's good to use them, however, you need to change your backup attitude.

Place your file being translated into your Dropbox folder and your TMs and glossaries outside (e.g. in a Desktop folder). Copy your gloss&TM files regularly, e.g. to an external drive. In that way, you won't loose your current work and the constant backup of your translation
... See more
Good evening Maaike,

I do use both Wf products and Dropbox. It's good to use them, however, you need to change your backup attitude.

Place your file being translated into your Dropbox folder and your TMs and glossaries outside (e.g. in a Desktop folder). Copy your gloss&TM files regularly, e.g. to an external drive. In that way, you won't loose your current work and the constant backup of your translation bases will not slow down your CAT tool.

Good luck!
Marcelina
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Solution: auto-hide the Dock! Nov 22, 2014

Yes, now I know: auto-hide the Dock!

More here:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2014/11/22/solution-to-wordfast-classic-crashes-on-mac/
or
http://youtu.be/j7A769GdeEA

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word with WF crashes every time I open another application

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »