Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Error message WordFast Pro: Error while saving file. There was a problem aligning document
Thread poster: Campman
Campman
Campman  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:52
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 28, 2010

I got this message when trying to saving a translation made in WordFast Pro back to the .doc version.

I already got the tip that all files used within WordFast Pro should be put in the same folder (the manual suggests that this is done automatically while creating a Project, which is not the case).

Another tip is that this error may be caused by the use of the expand button, the PLUS icon gluing two segments together. Which would mean that the use of the expand function
... See more
I got this message when trying to saving a translation made in WordFast Pro back to the .doc version.

I already got the tip that all files used within WordFast Pro should be put in the same folder (the manual suggests that this is done automatically while creating a Project, which is not the case).

Another tip is that this error may be caused by the use of the expand button, the PLUS icon gluing two segments together. Which would mean that the use of the expand function is useless and even risky if you want to save a document back to the original format (and of course that's want you want).

If the software indeed performs alignment in order to save back to the original format, than two segments changed into one won't be recognized and would create an alignment error. On the other hand it seems silly that the sofware has a (handy, but not essential) function which impairs another, more essential function.

Does anyone has experience with this? No clues in the manual.
Collapse

Joanne Archambault
Joanne Archambault  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:52
French to English
Had the same problem recently... Jun 28, 2010

Got the same error message recently using WF Pro 2.3. Like you, I had used the "expand" function to put a couple of segments together.

The only way I could think of getting around it was to open the source doc in Word, then use the TM I had generated to re-translate my source doc.

But then it turns out that WF Pro doesn't segment things quite the same way that WF Classic does so I had do quite a few
... See more
Got the same error message recently using WF Pro 2.3. Like you, I had used the "expand" function to put a couple of segments together.

The only way I could think of getting around it was to open the source doc in Word, then use the TM I had generated to re-translate my source doc.

But then it turns out that WF Pro doesn't segment things quite the same way that WF Classic does so I had do quite a few context searches to find all my TM matches.

Would love to hear a better solution if someone has one...

Joanne

P.S. I starting using WF Pro 2.4 last week, so we'll see how it goes.
Collapse

Paula Borges
Paula Borges  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:52
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My first WordFast nightmare Jul 2, 2010

I started a thread about it out of desperation before I had a chance to see this one. I have to deliver this in a few hours and here I am: ctrl+c ctrl+v, manually trying to save my work.

Of course more often than not, the files come out of Wordfast like a painting from a wannabe Picasso artist that's not too good, but at least they can be exported to Word. Not this time.

I'm still using the demo version and was going to buy my license this week. I guess this changes my
... See more
I started a thread about it out of desperation before I had a chance to see this one. I have to deliver this in a few hours and here I am: ctrl+c ctrl+v, manually trying to save my work.

Of course more often than not, the files come out of Wordfast like a painting from a wannabe Picasso artist that's not too good, but at least they can be exported to Word. Not this time.

I'm still using the demo version and was going to buy my license this week. I guess this changes my mind, since this is more hassle than working with no CAT tool at all.

[Edited at 2010-07-02 01:59 GMT]
Collapse

Klemen Perko
Klemen Perko  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Just happened to me, too Jul 2, 2010

This just happened to me, too, for the first time since I've been using Wordfast Pro.

Has anyone come up with a solution yet? It's driving me crazi and there's quite some text arrangement to be done, so I really don't want to export this manually ... It's a long file, too, and it would have taken me ages to do it, anyway.

Paula Borges
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Klemen Jul 2, 2010

Nope. I've tried everything I could think of and in the end, had to it manually. So frustrating!

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Update Jul 2, 2010

I'm very busy now with a large project so I do not have time to check, but it is possible that this issue was resolved by the latest updated version - Wordfast Pro 2.4??

Campman wrote:

Another tip is that this error may be caused by the use of the expand button, the PLUS icon gluing two segments together. Which would mean that the use of the expand function is useless and even risky if you want to save a document back to the original format (and of course that's want you want).

If the software indeed performs alignment in order to save back to the original format, than two segments changed into one won't be recognized and would create an alignment error. On the other hand it seems silly that the sofware has a (handy, but not essential) function which impairs another, more essential function.

Does anyone has experience with this? No clues in the manual.

Kristyna Marrero
Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Can someone send me files to reproduce this? Jul 2, 2010

Hi All,

I was wondering if someone who had this problem would be able to send me the files that caused this error along with the steps of what you did (ie. expand/shrike segment). Additionally, let me know your Wordfast PRo version and OS?

Thanks,

Kristyna
([email protected])

Paula Borges
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Kristyna Jul 2, 2010

I'll have to ask my client before I can send you the file, it might take a while.

If anyone can figure out a solution, please let us know.

Klemen Perko
Klemen Perko  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Reply to Kristyna Jul 4, 2010

I am sorry, I cannot send you the file as I have a non-disclosure clause in the contract with the client ... But the work on the file did involve a lot of segment expanding/shrinking, indeed. I hope someone else will be able to provide you a file causing similar problems.

Best,
Klemen

Eduardo Weinberg
Eduardo Weinberg  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
I solved the problem by deleting all pictures within the document, in order to reduce its size. Jul 27, 2010

Klemen Perko wrote:

I am sorry, I cannot send you the file as I have a non-disclosure clause in the contract with the client ... But the work on the file did involve a lot of segment expanding/shrinking, indeed. I hope someone else will be able to provide you a file causing similar problems.

Best,
Klemen

Dan Ilioiu
Dan Ilioiu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 07:52
English to Romanian
+ ...
here, too Aug 14, 2010

Is there a resolution from the Wordfast team reagrading this problem?
It just happened to me, too. WF_PRO 2.3 (I didn't upgrade because the 2.4 doesn't put the MT translation in the target segment)

In my case, the original document has alot of footnotes - maybe this helpes.
The only solution was to take out all the footnotes and put them in a separate file, open the document without footnotes in WF, automatically translate it using the TM and save it in doc.
Separ
... See more
Is there a resolution from the Wordfast team reagrading this problem?
It just happened to me, too. WF_PRO 2.3 (I didn't upgrade because the 2.4 doesn't put the MT translation in the target segment)

In my case, the original document has alot of footnotes - maybe this helpes.
The only solution was to take out all the footnotes and put them in a separate file, open the document without footnotes in WF, automatically translate it using the TM and save it in doc.
Separately Itranslated teh footnotes, also using the TM.
Then I had to put them back manually in the translated document.

Annoying.
Collapse

sardiniangir (X)
sardiniangir (X)
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
I saw this message as well Sep 9, 2010

and I am sorry to say that I did not find a solution.
Waiting for a reply from the wordfast support team ...
Cheers

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Error while saving file. There was a problem aligning document Sep 10, 2010

Dear Colleagues,

There are several potential reasons; the two main ones are:

1- Using an old version of Wordfast Pro (while the TXML file might be created in a newer one):
Please make sure you always have the latest version of Wordfast Pro. You can download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional avai
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

1- Using an old version of Wordfast Pro (while the TXML file might be created in a newer one):
Please make sure you always have the latest version of Wordfast Pro. You can download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

2- Using Expand/Shrink Segment extensively:
Import another copy of the source file into Wordfast Pro and pre-translate using the toolbar button Translate All. Do not use Expand/Shrink Segment.

If the problem persists, please send me the problematic files (the source file and TXML).

I hope this helps.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net
Collapse

Edita Kaminskaite
Edita Kaminskaite  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Lithuanian to English
+ ...
Rather easy emergency fix Aug 1, 2011

So this happened to me tonight on a rather big project due in the morning.
The most probable cause for me was expanding segments (nowhere near "extensive", by the way), because I had exported the same file a couple of days ago (with no expanded segments) and it worked just fine.

faced with the problem today, I tried:

- saving the TM and re-opening the original word file to pre-translate (does not work as long as the bilingual file is still there)
- closing e
... See more
So this happened to me tonight on a rather big project due in the morning.
The most probable cause for me was expanding segments (nowhere near "extensive", by the way), because I had exported the same file a couple of days ago (with no expanded segments) and it worked just fine.

faced with the problem today, I tried:

- saving the TM and re-opening the original word file to pre-translate (does not work as long as the bilingual file is still there)
- closing everything, uninstalling the old Wordfast Pro, and installing 2.4 - no effect

so this is what fixed it (not the best solution, but better than manually copy-pasting a huge file or sending stuff to Wordfast support in the middle of the night hoping for an answer):

1. COMMIT EVERYTHING to TM, and SAVE the TM (crucial step, if you don't save, you're majorly screwed)
2. Delete the bilingual file
3. Reopen the the original .doc in Wordfast (I used a different file name for it just to make sure, but this might not be necessary)
4. "Translate until Fuzzy". This means you'll have to redo all the segments you've messed with, but (at least the way I work with them) they will still give you good fuzzy matches, so you won't have a big problem figuring out what's what.

Again, not perfect, but beats copy pasting.

And for the future, DON'T MESS WITH SEGMENTS

(P.S. Dear Wordfast folk, could you please have this bug fixed in the next upgrade? It's making many people miserable)
Collapse

Maria Hoskins

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Could this bug be fixed, please? Aug 5, 2011

Dear WordFast folks,

Could anything be done with this, please, please, please?
I cannot make XTML files from the provided source files myself as the client prohibits this: they need their own files ONLY. So I work with the provided XTML, send the ready file to the client to convert, they convert and send me back for final check - is all this hassle really needed? This looks like a major bug that needs to be fixed.

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Please make sure you always have the latest version of Wordfast Pro. You can download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

2- Using Expand/Shrink Segment extensively:
Import another copy of the source file into Wordfast Pro and pre-translate using the toolbar button Translate All. Do not use Expand/Shrink Segment.

I get many XTML files on a daily basis from one of my major clients, along with the source files, and I am virtually ALWAYS unable to convert the translated files back.

What about suggestion 1 - it is not the case; I use the latest version.
What about suggestion 2 - it is not the case; as I have already said, the client forbids doing anything with their xtml files, so I never do anything.

Thank you for looking into the problem,
Natalia

[Edited at 2011-08-05 13:18 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error message WordFast Pro: Error while saving file. There was a problem aligning document

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »