Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Error message WordFast Pro: Error while saving file. There was a problem aligning document
Thread poster: Campman
Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 07:03
English to Arabic
Not a bug! Aug 5, 2011

Natalie wrote:

Dear WordFast folks,

Could anything be done with this, please, please, please?
I cannot make XTML files from the provided source files myself as the client prohibits this: they need their own files ONLY. So I work with the provided XTML, send the ready file to the client to convert, they convert and send me back for final check - is all this hassle really needed? This looks like a major bug that needs to be fixed.

Dear Natalie,

What are you talking about is not a bug at all. There are two cases:

1- Your client does NOT provide you with the source document: in this case, you will NEVER be able to convert back the target file. Solution: ask your client for the source document.

2- Your client sends you the source document: in this case, when you try to "Save Translated File" WFP will ask you to locate the source, and you have to browse to locate it.

I get many XTML files on a daily basis from one of my major clients, along with the source files, and I am virtually ALWAYS unable to convert the translated files back.

The word "unable" is not a technical description at all. If you have an error message, please mention it as well as the steps resulting in it, and determine your operating system (Windows, Mac...?) and WFP version number, or better contact the Hotline directly to get dedicated support.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:03
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Dear Yasmin Aug 5, 2011

I did not provide any additional error description as this is all the time the same error as in the title of this thread: "Error while saving file. There was a problem aligning document", and the target file has zero length.

As I have stated in my previous post, I get XTML files from my client along with the source files, however, the presence of the source file does not help in back conversion. Locating the source file does not help.

Natalia

P.S. A
... See more
I did not provide any additional error description as this is all the time the same error as in the title of this thread: "Error while saving file. There was a problem aligning document", and the target file has zero length.

As I have stated in my previous post, I get XTML files from my client along with the source files, however, the presence of the source file does not help in back conversion. Locating the source file does not help.

Natalia

P.S. Additional information:
One computer: Windows XP SP3, WordFast v.2.4.2, build 20110421-1615, MSOffice 2003 for working with DOC files
2nd computer: Windows Vista SP1, WordFast v.2.4.2, build 20110421-1615, MSOffice 2010 for working with DOC/DOCX files
In both cases clicking "Save translated file as..." and choosing the source file returns a zero-length target file in most cases

[Edited at 2011-08-05 20:22 GMT]
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Egypt
English to Arabic
@ Aug 5, 2011

Dear Natalia,

Could you please contact me in private, please, to investigate this issue. Many thanks in advance!

Yasmin

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Of course Aug 5, 2011

Many thanks, Yasmin - writing you privately.

Natalia

Textpertise
Textpertise  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:03
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
What to do when you get this message with a pdf input file Aug 6, 2012

Dated 6 August 2012
What to do in Wordfast Pro, when using a pdf as your input file, if you get the following error message when trying to save your translated file:

Filter Error: Error while saving file. There was a problem aligning document

Download and install the most recent version (3.1) of Wordfast Pro from http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html
... See more
Dated 6 August 2012
What to do in Wordfast Pro, when using a pdf as your input file, if you get the following error message when trying to save your translated file:

Filter Error: Error while saving file. There was a problem aligning document

Download and install the most recent version (3.1) of Wordfast Pro from http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

When doing so, the program will retain your licence information but be sure, when asked if you wish to keep the configuration from the previous version, to click 'Yes'.
Read your original pdf into the new version of Wordfast (3.1). The program will produce a Word or RTF file when it reads in the pdf file which will have the same name as that pdf file. It will also be in the same folder where you have that pdf file.
Exit the pdf file you have read in and open the Word or the RTF file in Wordfast 3.1. Then using the "translate all" facility (curved orange arrows at the top of the screen pointing to an x), repopulate your translation output from the Translation Memory you will already have established for the file which you could not save previously. With a bit of luck (and possibly a bit of tweaking of the output Word file), you should be in business. Textpertise is most grateful to Yasmin Moslem of the Wordfast Support Team for this solution. By the way, the pdf file I was in trouble with was quite a complex one which even the client couildn't OCR to look anything like the original. I don't know what OCR engine Wordfast are using but it does a brilliant job!
Collapse

Sylvie Puech
Sylvie Puech  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:03
English to French
These steps work - Foot notes guilty Aug 31, 2012

I followed the steps outlined by Edita below, and managed to save my translated file in Word after that. It is annoying though and it would be great if Wordfast could come up with a solution.
Tip for the Wordfast team: I'm almost certain the problem came from having footnotes in the text. The first Wordfast file (the one that failed to "align") had inserted the footnotes in the middle of the text (matching the numbers), while the second (and successful) Wordfast file omitted the footnotes
... See more
I followed the steps outlined by Edita below, and managed to save my translated file in Word after that. It is annoying though and it would be great if Wordfast could come up with a solution.
Tip for the Wordfast team: I'm almost certain the problem came from having footnotes in the text. The first Wordfast file (the one that failed to "align") had inserted the footnotes in the middle of the text (matching the numbers), while the second (and successful) Wordfast file omitted the footnotes altogether. Which is really okay since they were not part of the section I was supposed to translate, and they were just interrupting sentences wherever they had appeared before.
I have the latest version of Wordfast by the way.

Edita Kaminskaite wrote:

So this happened to me tonight on a rather big project due in the morning.
The most probable cause for me was expanding segments (nowhere near "extensive", by the way), because I had exported the same file a couple of days ago (with no expanded segments) and it worked just fine.

faced with the problem today, I tried:

- saving the TM and re-opening the original word file to pre-translate (does not work as long as the bilingual file is still there)
- closing everything, uninstalling the old Wordfast Pro, and installing 2.4 - no effect

so this is what fixed it (not the best solution, but better than manually copy-pasting a huge file or sending stuff to Wordfast support in the middle of the night hoping for an answer):

1. COMMIT EVERYTHING to TM, and SAVE the TM (crucial step, if you don't save, you're majorly screwed)
2. Delete the bilingual file
3. Reopen the the original .doc in Wordfast (I used a different file name for it just to make sure, but this might not be necessary)
4. "Translate until Fuzzy". This means you'll have to redo all the segments you've messed with, but (at least the way I work with them) they will still give you good fuzzy matches, so you won't have a big problem figuring out what's what.

Again, not perfect, but beats copy pasting.

And for the future, DON'T MESS WITH SEGMENTS

(P.S. Dear Wordfast folk, could you please have this bug fixed in the next upgrade? It's making many people miserable)

Collapse

Aneta Strzelecka-Dydycz
Aneta Strzelecka-Dydycz  Identity Verified
Poland
French to Polish
+ ...
Edita, your solution is excellent Sep 24, 2012

helped me a lot!
Thank you!

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
To expand or not to expand? Sep 24, 2012

I sometimes see the advice being given (even by such authoritative persons as Yasmin) not to expand/shrink segments in WFP, as this will cause failure to save the translated file. I'm therefore wondering what's the purpose of having such a function (expand/shrink segment), if one is not allowed to use it in practice? Are there cases when it is safe to use it and cases when it is definitely unsafe to do so? Is there a way to know other than by trial and error? To me, the ability to expand and shr... See more
I sometimes see the advice being given (even by such authoritative persons as Yasmin) not to expand/shrink segments in WFP, as this will cause failure to save the translated file. I'm therefore wondering what's the purpose of having such a function (expand/shrink segment), if one is not allowed to use it in practice? Are there cases when it is safe to use it and cases when it is definitely unsafe to do so? Is there a way to know other than by trial and error? To me, the ability to expand and shrink segments is an important feature in any CAT tool, as the source and target languages don't necessarily work in the same way regarding sentences.Collapse

Wendy Maeyens
Wendy Maeyens  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
I had the same issue and it is really annoying Apr 6, 2015

I also had this issue but I followed the steps of Edita Kaminskaite and finally it was resolved!

Thank you so much!

Wendy

Monica Manunta
Monica Manunta  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:03
Member (2015)
English to Italian
+ ...
Footnotes are hugely guilty Feb 8, 2016

[quote]Sylvie Puech wrote:

Tip for the Wordfast team: I'm almost certain the problem came from having footnotes in the text. The first Wordfast file (the one that failed to "align") had inserted the footnotes in the middle of the text (matching the numbers), while the second (and successful) Wordfast file omitted the footnotes altogether.

I happened upon this thread looking for a fix to the unexpected error in trying to save my translated file. I am running the latest version of Wordfast Pro on Mac.
And the document I am working on has a whopping 74 footnotes.

I would warmly recommend the Wordfast team to find a permanent fix for this. For the time being I am going to try Edita's method. I will also try to save a copy of the source file in Word without footnotes and try to auto propagate and save this version instead - copy pasting the 74 footnotes beats copy pasting the whole 27 pages of word document.

I'd love to hear from the Wordfast folks because I have 10 more documents in this project and they are ALL replete with footnotes. I'd love an easier fix for this.

Thanks,

Monica

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
WFP4 can deal with your document Feb 8, 2016

Monica Manunta wrote:
I would warmly recommend the Wordfast team to find a permanent fix for this.

Indeed, it looks like WFP3 cannot deal with the footnotes in your document. OTOH, WFP4 can, so my suggestion would be to use it for this job. You can get the latest version (4.6) here.

[Edited at 2016-02-08 18:35 GMT]

Yasmin Moslem
Egypt
English to Arabic
Alignment error: Edited source document? Feb 24, 2016

Dear All,

Sometimes this alignment error happens if you edit the source document after generating the TXML file. So you can try to use the one sent by your client before changing.

Otherwise, you can create a new folder, copy the source document to it, (or just rename the old TXML file or the source document), open the source document (after moving or renaming) in WF Pro to generate a new TXML file, and run the Translation Memory on it using the toolbar button "Translate
... See more
Dear All,

Sometimes this alignment error happens if you edit the source document after generating the TXML file. So you can try to use the one sent by your client before changing.

Otherwise, you can create a new folder, copy the source document to it, (or just rename the old TXML file or the source document), open the source document (after moving or renaming) in WF Pro to generate a new TXML file, and run the Translation Memory on it using the toolbar button "Translate All".

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

There are several potential reasons; the two main ones are:

1- Using an old version of Wordfast Pro (while the TXML file might be created in a newer one):
Please make sure you always have the latest version of Wordfast Pro. You can download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

2- Using Expand/Shrink Segment extensively:
Import another copy of the source file into Wordfast Pro and pre-translate using the toolbar button Translate All. Do not use Expand/Shrink Segment.

If the problem persists, please send me the problematic files (the source file and TXML).

I hope this helps.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Egypt
English to Arabic
Footnotes - Alignment errors Feb 24, 2016

Hi Monica and Sylvie!

Issues I saw in the past with footnotes causing alignment errors were caused by having a footnote that is split with a line-break. Deleting the additional line-break, and pre-translating the file (after renaming the old TXML) fixed the issue.

I have not seen your files though, but I will be happy to do if you like.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

[quote]Monica Manunta wrote:

Sylvie Puech wrote:

Tip for the Wordfast team: I'm almost certain the problem came from having footnotes in the text. The first Wordfast file (the one that failed to "align") had inserted the footnotes in the middle of the text (matching the numbers), while the second (and successful) Wordfast file omitted the footnotes altogether.

I happened upon this thread looking for a fix to the unexpected error in trying to save my translated file. I am running the latest version of Wordfast Pro on Mac.

I would warmly recommend the Wordfast team to find a permanent fix for this. For the time being I am going to try Edita's method. I will also try to save a copy of the source file in Word without footnotes and try to auto propagate and save this version instead - copy pasting the 74 footnotes beats copy pasting the whole 27 pages of word document.

I'd love to hear from the Wordfast folks because I have 10 more documents in this project and they are ALL replete with footnotes. I'd love an easier fix for this.

Thanks,

Monica

Laurel Clausen
Laurel Clausen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:03
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Same problem - but no expand/shrink, footnotes, or version issues May 30, 2016

Hey, I just encountered this. I tried deleting the old txml and recreating it, then running the TM, but I STILL had the same error message. At no point did I expand or shrink any segments, the file contains no footnotes, and I literally created it in WF Pro, translated all and tried to save the translated file. What to do now? This file is small, but it's part of a larger project with more than 20,000 words in the other files and I do NOT want to have to copy and paste them all!!!

A
... See more
Hey, I just encountered this. I tried deleting the old txml and recreating it, then running the TM, but I STILL had the same error message. At no point did I expand or shrink any segments, the file contains no footnotes, and I literally created it in WF Pro, translated all and tried to save the translated file. What to do now? This file is small, but it's part of a larger project with more than 20,000 words in the other files and I do NOT want to have to copy and paste them all!!!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Laurel

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Dear All,

Otherwise, you can create a new folder, copy the source document to it, (or just rename the old TXML file or the source document), open the source document (after moving or renaming) in WF Pro to generate a new TXML file, and run the Translation Memory on it using the toolbar button "Translate All".

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

1- Using an old version of Wordfast Pro (while the TXML file might be created in a newer one):
Please make sure you always have the latest version of Wordfast Pro. You can download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional available at:

Import another copy of the source file into Wordfast Pro and pre-translate using the toolbar button Translate All. Do not use Expand/Shrink Segment.

If the problem persists, please send me the problematic files (the source file and TXML).

I hope this helps.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem
Collapse

Laurel Clausen
Laurel Clausen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:03
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Found my solution on another site - .docx problem May 30, 2016

I found a suggestion on another website's forum about this to try saving my .docx file as a .doc file. I did this, and the translated file saved successfully. Although I often work with .docx files without encountering this problem, I guess this can be tried as a failsafe.

Laurel Clausen wrote:

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Laurel

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Dear All,

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

I hope this helps.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error message WordFast Pro: Error while saving file. There was a problem aligning document

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »