Jan Kordac  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 01:46
Member (2004)
English to Czech
+ ...
Year latter... Apr 13, 2010

Dallas Cao wrote:

2.2.0 is painfully slow. when I type, it takes a moment for the letters to appear. I know my hardware is not sharp (CPU E1400, 2GB RAM) but this is too much.

I use windows XP.

Is there a way to solve this problem?

2.1.0 is OK.

[Edited at 2009-05-15 17:21 GMT]

... and the problem remains the same. If my big client haven's switch to WF, I would never use it... It is so impractical in comparing with SDL, it is really terrible.
Just doing spellcheck of a file with some 6000 words / 700 rows and it took half an hour.
(PS: I have the latest version of WF Pro and computer good enough fo SDL 2010, but not enough for WF).

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
WFP 2.3 Memory Preferences Apr 14, 2010

Dear Jan,

1) Please uninstall the current version of Wordfast Pro. When you are asked to keep configuration files, answer with "No". (Make sure you first back up your glossaries, if any.) Then, install the new version.

2) Please make sure you download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional (2.3) available
... See more
Dear Jan,

1) Please uninstall the current version of Wordfast Pro. When you are asked to keep configuration files, answer with "No". (Make sure you first back up your glossaries, if any.) Then, install the new version.

2) Please make sure you download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional (2.3) available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

3) After installing (a fresh instance of) WFP 2.3, under Edit menu > Preferences > Memory Preferences, you can select the maximum use of RAM.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net
Collapse

Silvina Jover-Cirillo (X)
Silvina Jover-Cirillo (X)
United States
Local time: 19:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Didn't work May 13, 2010

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Dear Jan,

2) Please make sure you download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional (2.3) available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

3) After installing (a fresh instance of) WFP 2.3, under Edit menu > Preferences > Memory Preferences, you can select the maximum use of RAM.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

I tried this, but it didn't work. I wasn't able to send the bug report either. I bought WF a couple of weeks ago, also because one of my main clients decided to use this platform instead of Trados. I must say, this problem is getting very annoying.

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:46
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Still sometimes a current issue Aug 25, 2012

I found this thread because I was having an issue with very slow typing in WFP again (after updating to version 3.1) and forgot the solution.

For me it worked, again, to go to the preferences and toggle the Enable spell checking and Check spelling as you type boxes, and after that the speed was fine.

They are both checked/active now.
In the past there was, I believe, an issue with a very slow microsoft spell check, while Hunspell was fine.
<
... See more
I found this thread because I was having an issue with very slow typing in WFP again (after updating to version 3.1) and forgot the solution.

For me it worked, again, to go to the preferences and toggle the Enable spell checking and Check spelling as you type boxes, and after that the speed was fine.

They are both checked/active now.
In the past there was, I believe, an issue with a very slow microsoft spell check, while Hunspell was fine.

Anyway, it seems that this time just toggling these settings resolved the typing delay.
Collapse

Ahmed Salem
Ahmed Salem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
Change Font Nov 8, 2013

Dear All,

I am a freelance English < > Arabic translator and I faced the same problem over the last couple of months but I finally managed to resolve it. Please do the following;

1. Open Wordfast
2. Go to Edit > Preferences > Colors and Fonts
3. Change the font of Txml Editor into Times New Roman.
4. Click Apply (you will notice that font has changed)

The whole issue happens because of the Verdana font. You can change it to your favorit
... See more
Dear All,

I am a freelance English < > Arabic translator and I faced the same problem over the last couple of months but I finally managed to resolve it. Please do the following;

1. Open Wordfast
2. Go to Edit > Preferences > Colors and Fonts
3. Change the font of Txml Editor into Times New Roman.
4. Click Apply (you will notice that font has changed)

The whole issue happens because of the Verdana font. You can change it to your favorite font.

Please try this solution and let me know what you think.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
Ahmed Salem
www.egytrans.net
Collapse

Paul Reeve
Paul Reeve  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Disappearing replies? Dec 18, 2014

Bizarre: not only a reply that I wrote to this post a couple of days ago, but at least one other reply following the last one that can be seen here, which had been posted in 2013, seems to have disappeared. I'll repeat my point:

I've been having speed problems when translating very modest-sized documents (a few hundred segments) with the latest versions of WFP on both Mac and Windows machines, for a long time (years) and very systematically, both new installs and repeatedly updated
... See more
Bizarre: not only a reply that I wrote to this post a couple of days ago, but at least one other reply following the last one that can be seen here, which had been posted in 2013, seems to have disappeared. I'll repeat my point:

I've been having speed problems when translating very modest-sized documents (a few hundred segments) with the latest versions of WFP on both Mac and Windows machines, for a long time (years) and very systematically, both new installs and repeatedly updated installs. Font change made no difference for me. Having a Word document that can't readily be cut into pieces and copy-pasted together again motivated me to try a switch to OmegaT in the past couple of days. I'm thankful to Wordfast for having provided a useful tool, but this speed problem is really a big handicap. So far the OmegaT experience has been pretty convincing. Output looks good and so far, no waiting for letters to appear after I type them.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Your previous reply was in a different thread Dec 18, 2014

Here:
http://www.proz.com/post/2376598#2376598

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:46
Finnish to French
Can the offending documents be made available? Dec 18, 2014

Paul Reeve wrote:
I've been having speed problems when translating very modest-sized documents (a few hundred segments) with the latest versions of WFP on both Mac and Windows machines, for a long time (years) and very systematically, both new installs and repeatedly updated installs. Font change made no difference for me.

The fact the slowness occur both on your Mac and on your PC would suggest the problem lies in the document, rather than in your setup. Would you be able to make that document (or any other that exhibit the problem) available for testing?

Does the slowness occur right from the first segment, or does it build up progressively?

What proportion of your documents would you say is affected by the problem?

Marek Burakowski
Marek Burakowski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:46
English to Finnish
+ ...
Suspicions May 20, 2016

I think that the reason WF becomes slow with large documents is the way it searches for matches on every keypress. There should be more options that would allow you to control how often different types of searches are made, like for example only after changing segment, every space, every 3 words... a slider-type option for all possible things causing this.

I think that WF should listen to the customers here and try to provide options that speed up the typing, even if that means turn
... See more
I think that the reason WF becomes slow with large documents is the way it searches for matches on every keypress. There should be more options that would allow you to control how often different types of searches are made, like for example only after changing segment, every space, every 3 words... a slider-type option for all possible things causing this.

I think that WF should listen to the customers here and try to provide options that speed up the typing, even if that means turning off some other useful feature.

[Edited at 2016-05-20 06:42 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro v. 2.2.0 is painfully slow

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »