New tool added to TransTools: ‘Document Format Converter’ (batch converts various document formats)!
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:49
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sep 1, 2014

I already have a nice little macro for this, but converting batches of .doc files to .docx (for e.g., for import into CafeTran) just got even easier:

some_text

***Info and download: Document Format Converter (part of TransTools)

‘Document Format Converter provides a convenient way to convert many Word documents to another format without having to do this manually for each individual document. You can convert from RTF / DOC / DOCX formats to RTF, DOC, DOCX and PDF formats.’

some_text

‘Usage scenarios

The list below summarizes some common usage scenarios for Document Format Converter:

You receive a number of Word documents in various formats and wish to convert them to DOCX format for better experience in your CAT tool (DOCX documents are better integrated into common CAT tools like memoQ, SDL Trados Studio, etc. than DOC / RTF files: there are more options when you import these documents, text has less tags, etc.).
You receive a number of Word documents in various formats and need to convert them for translation in a CAT tool that does not support RTF / DOC files, such as OmegaT, CafeTran, etc.
You normally supply your client with PDF versions of all translated documents and wish to convert all translated documents to PDF format.’

some_text

Michael

PS: I am in no way connected to the developer, just a very happy user.

[Edited at 2014-09-01 17:28 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-02 10:47 GMT]

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 20:49
English to Chinese
Download the entire program again to have the new component added Sep 1, 2014

Hi Michael,

Thank you for mentioning this new tool--I did not know it until I saw your post.

For those who have the TransTools Professional version and wonder how to add this tool to the existing features, here is what the developer said:

"...simply update TransTools by downloading it from http://www.translatortools.net/download.html and installing (it will update all the add-ins, no need to uninstall first)"

Chun-yi

Michael Beijer wrote:

I already have a nice little macro for this, but converting batches of .doc files to .docx (for e.g., for import into CafeTran) just got even easier:

some_text

‘Document Format Converter provides a convenient way to convert many Word documents to another format without having to do this manually for each individual document. You can convert from RTF / DOC / DOCX formats to RTF, DOC, DOCX and PDF formats.’

some_text

‘Usage scenarios

The list below summarizes some common usage scenarios for Document Format Converter:

You receive a number of Word documents in various formats and wish to convert them to DOCX format for better experience in your CAT tool (DOCX documents are better integrated into common CAT tools like memoQ, SDL Trados Studio, etc. than DOC / RTF files: there are more options when you import these documents, text has less tags, etc.).
You receive a number of Word documents in various formats and need to convert them for translation in a CAT tool that does not support RTF / DOC files, such as OmegaT, CafeTran, etc.
You normally supply your client with PDF versions of all translated documents and wish to convert all translated documents to PDF format.’

some_text

Michael

PS: I am in no way connected to the developer, just a very happy user.

[Edited at 2014-09-01 17:28 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Chun-yi: Sep 1, 2014

You're welcome!

The reason I knew about it so quickly is because I suggested it to Stanislav a few weeks ago

This is definitely a tool (or better yet set of tools) to keep an eye on, as Stanislav has really created something amazing here! I still have CodeZapper installed, but have been using TransTools almost exclusively for the past few months. I keep meaning to compare the two one of these days,
... See more
You're welcome!

The reason I knew about it so quickly is because I suggested it to Stanislav a few weeks ago

This is definitely a tool (or better yet set of tools) to keep an eye on, as Stanislav has really created something amazing here! I still have CodeZapper installed, but have been using TransTools almost exclusively for the past few months. I keep meaning to compare the two one of these days, when I have some free time (‘free time’, ha ha ha, what's that?).

Michael
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 20:49
English to Chinese
TransTools is very useful Sep 2, 2014

Hi Michael,

Like you, I also find TransTools very useful, even though I have only used a few features so far.
For removing unnecessary tags, I still use CodeZapper, since I am familiar with the program. What I like TransTools the most is the hide/unhide feature where you can select certain text to import to your CAT program and hide the remaining text. I also use this feature to do word count when client only wants "highlighted text" in a file translated.
Anyway,
... See more
Hi Michael,

Like you, I also find TransTools very useful, even though I have only used a few features so far.
For removing unnecessary tags, I still use CodeZapper, since I am familiar with the program. What I like TransTools the most is the hide/unhide feature where you can select certain text to import to your CAT program and hide the remaining text. I also use this feature to do word count when client only wants "highlighted text" in a file translated.
Anyway, I am a happy user, and I should thank you for making all those very useful suggestions.

Chun-yi

Michael Beijer wrote:

You're welcome!

This is definitely a tool (or better yet set of tools) to keep an eye on, as Stanislav has really created something amazing here! I still have CodeZapper installed, but have been using TransTools almost exclusively for the past few months. I keep meaning to compare the two one of these days, when I have some free time (‘free time’, ha ha ha, what's that?).

Michael
Collapse

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 10:49
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Incorrect link Sep 2, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:

Your link points to incorrect URL. It should be http://www.translatortools.net/download.html.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Mulyadi: Sep 2, 2014

Thanks for correcting the link! The (incorrect) link was from one on my AutoHotkey scripts for inserting code snippets

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New tool added to TransTools: ‘Document Format Converter’ (batch converts various document formats)!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »