Daniel Pestana
Daniel Pestana  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:53
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 16, 2010

Well, I wasn't sure if this is the right topic, but here it goes. A couple of days ago I received an email via ProZ that went like this (I'm almost sure you all received it):

"My Glossary, the completely free, online glossary management module at TermWiki.com is now open for beta use. Unlike existing tools, My Glossary allows you to import and export glossaries for easy data migration. Once uploaded into the system, your terms can be reviewed, edited, and translated into 100+
... See more
Well, I wasn't sure if this is the right topic, but here it goes. A couple of days ago I received an email via ProZ that went like this (I'm almost sure you all received it):

"My Glossary, the completely free, online glossary management module at TermWiki.com is now open for beta use. Unlike existing tools, My Glossary allows you to import and export glossaries for easy data migration. Once uploaded into the system, your terms can be reviewed, edited, and translated into 100+ languages, and exported for use in live translation and authoring projects. Like all TermWiki modules, My Glossary utilizes an intuitive graphical user interface and simple navigation system. It's also highly collaborative—you can invite your friends and colleagues to check out your glossaries, provide feedback, and even offer up translations.

Best of all, every new term and translation that you add to TermWiki will be permanently stamped with your name and profile. Want to advertise your translation skills to the rest of the world? This is the perfect opportunity. So make sure to stop on by and join in the Terminology Gold Rush!

Check out My Glossary and get started today: http://www.termwiki.com/My_Glossary.

See you on TermWiki,

Team
The TermWiki Team at CSOFT
"

Well, as you all might know, this a Google strategy to feed their servers with specific terminology for Automatic Translation on their online tools, such as: Google Translator and Google Translator Toolkit. One of the main sources of these tools are Wikipedia, here are some articles about it, but there are more and better:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20010632-264.html
http://www.devcomments.com/Google-Translate-Wikipedia-16-Million-Words-Later-i34895.htm
http://googlewatch.eweek.com/content/google_translate/google_working_with_wikipedia_to_translate_smaller_languages.html

One is free to do what he wants, I just thought you all should be aware of this situation. I felt deceived by the email, that's why I'm sharing this with all of you. No way I'm going to give away my work.

Best.

[Edited at 2010-12-16 20:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-12-16 20:49 GMT]
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:53
French to German
+ ...
Count me in, Daniel Dec 16, 2010

Daniel Pestana wrote:

(.../...)

One is free to do what he wants, I just thought you all should be aware of this situation. I felt deceived by the email, that's why I'm sharing this with all of you. No way I'm going to give away my work.

Best.

Free work never was my cup of tea (especially as one doesn't get tea for free anyway, right?)...

Daniel Pestana
Portugal
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think the ProZ glossary meets all our requirements Dec 16, 2010

We already have a great resource: ProZ. Why give them what we've worked so hard to achieve. Glossaries are one of the most exhausting tasks for a translator. They want them? Hire us or do your own research. I have to admit they developed a great strategy to make us give them our glossaries, but translators aren't so easily deceived. If they had done their homework correctly, they'd know we are not searching for recognition on a "social network". We are the invisible men and women... and the more... See more
We already have a great resource: ProZ. Why give them what we've worked so hard to achieve. Glossaries are one of the most exhausting tasks for a translator. They want them? Hire us or do your own research. I have to admit they developed a great strategy to make us give them our glossaries, but translators aren't so easily deceived. If they had done their homework correctly, they'd know we are not searching for recognition on a "social network". We are the invisible men and women... and the more invisible we get, the better we are.

Also, be careful with Chrome OS, read the article below:

http://www.neowin.net/news/richard-stallman-rages-again-this-time-over-chrome-os

Best.
Collapse

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:53
English to Spanish
Join in Google’s Terminology Gold Rush! Dec 16, 2010

Yeah! Bring in your glossaries! It will be a real Terminology Gold Rush for Google!

Everybody is exploiting translators, Google does not want to be the exception!

Daniel Pestana
Portugal
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Google forgot we know a secret that helps us with our work... Dec 16, 2010

Miguel Carmona wrote:

Yeah! Bring in your glossaries! It will be a real Terminology Gold Rush for Google!

Everybody is exploiting translators, Google does not want to be the exception!

... the one who owns information owns the world...

I never thought I'd say this, but Facebook starts to seem less scarier compared to this aggressive strategy by Google. Do they feel threatened by Facebook to adopt this kind of corporate philosophy? In my opinion, Google had nothing to fear, but it seems to me, they are digging their own grave. Well, not unless they stop in time.

Daniel Pestana
Portugal
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just lost access to my Facebook account Dec 16, 2010

After sharing this topic on Facebook, my account was blocked. I can't get in and my widgets are gone from my website.

Now, that's what I'm talking about. Try it for yourselves:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/DP-Translations/286089651652

Best

Daniel Pestana
Portugal
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for Twitter Dec 16, 2010

Nothing like a good wake up call on Twitter. Back in business.

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 16:53
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No F/B problem here, Daniel Dec 16, 2010

Just accessed your profile without any problem... though I did hear a friend say that there had been some general F/B disruption earlier this evening.

[Edited at 2010-12-17 07:25 GMT]

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Google???? wants to trick us Dec 16, 2010

I'm no big fan of Google trying to achieve world domination on the web, but I think you might have to change the thread's topic.

That is, unless you know more about the big G's connection with Csoft, the company that appears to be behind TermWiki.com.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Nor I Dec 17, 2010

Daniel Pestana wrote:

No way I'm going to give away my work.

Best.

Nor I !

Daniel Pestana
Portugal
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ProZ either Dec 17, 2010

Tony M wrote:

Just accessed your profile without any problem... though I did hear a friend say that there ahd been some general F/B disruption earlier this evening.

Hi Tom,

Well, I couldn't access the topic on ProZ either, coincidence or not, it was odd.

Daniel Pestana
Portugal
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tell me more Dec 17, 2010

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

I'm no big fan of Google trying to achieve world domination on the web, but I think you might have to change the thread's topic.

That is, unless you know more about the big G's connection with Csoft, the company that appears to be behind TermWiki.com.

Hi Madeleine,

Please tell us more. I couldn't figure out which Csoft. I'm a big fan of Google, but I don't think this is the way to do things. Lots of people are already giving away their glossaries for those 5 minutes of fame. For all I know, Google and Wikipedia collaborate on improving Machine Translation. And in my opinion this is just another way to achieve their goal. I don't agree, so I'm not taking part of it. Just thought of warning other colleagues.

Best and thanks for the tip.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:53
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I am telling you more Dec 17, 2010

If you go to TermWiki, and scroll down to the bottom, there is a link to the company's website. It is a translation agency, and I am not sure if they are connected to Google in any way. I am not mentioning their name because they are outsourcers, and as far as I know we are not allowed to discuss them on the forums.
They do have a Blue Board entry on ProZ.

[Edited at 2010-12-17 15:03 GMT]

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Strange argument Dec 17, 2010

This argument reminds me of what a potential client told me upon receiving my quote.

I could buy a dictionary at this price

Luckily for our profession no amount of dictionaries or glossaries may replace a translator.

Cheers
Stanislaw

Daniel Pestana
Portugal
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Katalin Dec 17, 2010

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

If you go to TermWiki, and scroll down to the bottom, there is a link to the company's website. It is a translation agency, and I am not sure if they are connected to Google in any way. I am not mentioning their name because they are outsourcers, and as far as I know we are not allowed discussing them on the forums.
They do have a Blue Board entry on ProZ.

Thank you very much for this. It keeps getting stranger. Well, I won't discuss it any further, but I'm not taking part of it. I love to create glossaries. It often takes me 6 months to a year to create a great glossary, but it's an unfinished task. I believe a great great glossary takes 5 to 7 years to be fully credible and good, so I often like to sit here and review them all over and over again. In TermWiki, it's competition for a good ranking and 5 minutes of fame. This things take time and a lot (a lot) of research.

Well, this is just my opinion. ProZ rocks! Why bother and go elsewhere?

I'm staying!

Best.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google wants to trick us: TermWiki.com

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »