Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Certified translation - do you translate money?
Thread poster: cloudhunter (X)
cloudhunter (X)
cloudhunter (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:18
English to German
+ ...
Feb 17, 2017

Good morning dear colleagues,

I have been wondering what to do. I have received a document, which I need to proofread and certify for the USA. It is a bank statement. The original one is in EUR. The translation I received is in USD - the translator "translated" EUR in USD and changed all the sums from EUR to USD (exchange rate as of 30.12.2016).

What do I do? I have never come across anything like this, one does not "translate money"... Or have there been any changes to
... See more
Good morning dear colleagues,

I have been wondering what to do. I have received a document, which I need to proofread and certify for the USA. It is a bank statement. The original one is in EUR. The translation I received is in USD - the translator "translated" EUR in USD and changed all the sums from EUR to USD (exchange rate as of 30.12.2016).

What do I do? I have never come across anything like this, one does not "translate money"... Or have there been any changes to how we do it, which I am not aware of?

Thank you!
Collapse

Patricia Patho
Patricia Patho
Germany
Member (2013)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Note at the bottom Feb 17, 2017

Hi Cloudhunter,

I don't think is correct to "translate" it and I don't do it. If the amount is key for some specific purpose, I include a note at the bottom of the page with the exchange rate on the date the translation was made.

Have a nice day.

Yolande Hivart
Yolande Hivart
Austria
Member (2016)
German to French
I would not do Feb 17, 2017

Hi Cloudhunter,

Imho, it is not your job as a sworn translator to certify at which exchange rate (and from where?) an amount has to be exchanged with. Even the fact that the translation is writing USD as a translation for EUR is seriously questionnable to swear as a rightful translation.

I wish you a good day too.

Maria De Rose
Maria De Rose  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:18
Member (2016)
English to Italian
+ ...
Hi Feb 17, 2017

I don't think it is correct, however you can put the conversion amount in brackets with a note at the bottom of the document with date and Exchange rate.

hope this helps

Maria

Agnes Lenkey
Agnes Lenkey  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
It is NOT allowed to do this Feb 17, 2017

Hi,

I would say it is not allowed to change USD to EUR in a translation and this is definitely a stupidity (sorry for the expression). How could we do that? It is not within our competence, moreover, if doing conversions, we could be held liable for such thing and all its consequences.

I would advise the client that the previous translation is wrong and ask for the original. If I would have to proofread this bank statement (I usually translate many bank statements for
... See more
Hi,

I would say it is not allowed to change USD to EUR in a translation and this is definitely a stupidity (sorry for the expression). How could we do that? It is not within our competence, moreover, if doing conversions, we could be held liable for such thing and all its consequences.

I would advise the client that the previous translation is wrong and ask for the original. If I would have to proofread this bank statement (I usually translate many bank statements for lawyers, lawsuits, etc.), I would correct this conversion and use the same currency (no brackets, no footnotes, nothing, conversions are not our job) according to the original and advise the client about this error.

Best regards,

Agnes
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Check with client Feb 17, 2017

It would not be the normal way to proceed. However, perhaps it was done at the request of the client. I think the only way to clear this up is to ask the client if this was expected of the translator of the original.
If the client wishes you to keep the USD amounts, then all you can do is make clear that you cannot certify the veracity of the conversion, after all, supplied by your client.

[Edited at 2017-02-17 09:18 GMT]

cloudhunter (X)
cloudhunter (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 17, 2017

The translation I had to proofread was done by the client but I decided to change all the amounts to the original ones in EUR. The footer of the certification states that the translation is complete and correct, so I don't feel right confirming any conversion rates (the rate of 31.12.2016 but no source, nothing, so how am I supposed to know it is correct?).

Thank you all for your contributions!

Have all a great Friday.

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:18
German to English
Crazy Feb 17, 2017

No way. This has to be retranslated with the original amounts and currency. Send it back...

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Replies and quotes a hidden post by another user
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Cloudhunter is supposed to certify the translation. Feb 17, 2017

As Nikki said, it doesn't seem to make much sense, but you never know.

I suppose that's actually what you also said ("There may be ...") after calling the advice of your colleagues "inexpert and wrecklessly false" and actually writing "Hahahaha."

Cloudhunter should tell the client that the conversion seems strange in the given context and ask the client if there are extenuating circumstances that make it appropriate in this particular case.

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 19:18
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
No Feb 18, 2017

The currency should be left as is. You are not a financial consultant - as a sworn translator you need to translate what is says in the original document.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
translation vs. localization Feb 18, 2017

In my country one is expected to use SI units (in->cm, mile->km, pound->kg) only and the domestic currency (at least as a remark to the corresponding NBU rate), BUT it really depends on the very document and the client. For instance, if it's not about Ukraine, then hryvnas, dollars, and euros stay as they are in the original.

Actually, such a conversion doesn't stand for its net amount because of exchange %% and so on.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certified translation - do you translate money?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »