Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
This has doubled my work performance! Have you tried dictation?
Thread poster: Dylan J Hartmann
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:58
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Polish Oct 24, 2016

Przemek Kalemba wrote:

Great thread, everyone!

I have been researching the subject for years now but can't find any software in Polish. I even contacted Nuance (Dragon) asking if they were planning to add Polish but the answer was no.

Does anyone know of decent dictation software in Polish, please?

Best.

Przemek Kalemba
www.columbustranslations.co.uk

If you were using the MacOS....... the Dictation software languages include Polish.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
some info Oct 24, 2016

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

I am also considering retrying dictation (I tried Dragon 9 for a while but it was too inconsistent), but have a few questions before I invest:

Has anyone tried training or does anyone actually use Microsoft's inbuilt dictation software (Win 10)? Is it worth it?

No. It's not good enough.

Assuming Microsoft is not an option, which version of Dragon (I think I will be trying a method suggested in this forum: only dictating text, in my case in Studio and MemoQ, and inputting most commands manually)?

This is a tricky question. I use Dragon, and have been upgrading for years now, and am currently using Dragon Professional Individual 15 (DPI 15). I think I started with Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12, then got 13, and then Dragon Professional Individual 14. A very big change has recently taken place, however, which is that Nuance completely changed their speech system between DPI 14 and 15, which is now based on neural/AI stuff (following the trend ***(see list of great articles on this below!)***, like everyone else, like Google Translate, Systran, Facebook, Google Photos, etc.). Since the new engine is based on a whole different approach, it gives a different kind of errors than we are used to from previous versions, which takes some getting used to. I'm not yet 100% convinced that it's better than the previous system, but it's still early days, so watch this space.

Who uses a table microphone for dictation and what are your experiences? Do you use a cheap or a high-end model or something in between? (I can't get used to headsets.)

I've always used desktop microphones (can't stand having to keep sth on my head), and they work great with Dragon. I used to use a cheap (USB) Logitech desktop microphone, and was also getting great results, but then got myself a fancy Speechware USB 3-in-1 TableMike (http://shop.knowbrainer.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=402 ) (because the people in the KnowBrainer forum highly recommend them if you're going to go the desktop mic route). However, I've never tried any other kinds of microphones, so I can't really compare, or know if I'm missing anything.

In terms of there being any difference between inexpensive and a cheap desktop mic, I must say that my cheap Logitech seemed to perform just as well as my expensive Speechware mic. However, I have also heard other people getting terrible results with cheap desktop mics, so I think it really depends on your individual microphone and your computer setup.

I can't really comment on Tom's (constant) recommendation to use OS X's built in Dictation system, as I don't have a Mac, and definitely don't intend to get one anytime soon as they have no good software (Flame war: ON). Well, my wife has a Mac, so I suppose I could do a few tests to see how it compares to my own Windows-based Dragon. Will try to do so one of these days.

Michael

PS: my (very unprofessional) recommendation: see if you can get your hands on a pirated copy of an older version of Dragon (12 or 13)(which is extremely easy to do, btw), and play around with it a bit. If you like it, buy it. I don't really want to recommend the latest version (DPI 15), which is the one have, just yet, until I have had a chance to fully test it. If I end up going back to DPI 14, I wouldn't want to have recommended buying 15.

https://slator.com/technology/nearly-indistinguishable-from-human-translation-google-claims-breakthrough/
https://slator.com/technology/systran-goes-neural-lets-you-try-it/
http://mogren.one/blog/2016/08/08/trends-in-neural-machine-translation.html
https://www.smartcat.ai/blog/2016/10/20/smart-ways-2/?sniply=amhox

And these two (very good) articles:
http://kv-emptypages.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/a-deep-dive-into-systrans-neural.html
http://kv-emptypages.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/comparing-neural-mt-smt-and-rbmt.html

[Edited at 2016-10-24 12:25 GMT]

[This post was dictated using Dragon Professional Individual 15. Please excuse any typos!]

[Edited at 2016-10-24 12:26 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Indeed. Oct 24, 2016

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

I can't really comment on Tom's (constant) recommendation to use OS X's built in Dictation system, as I don't have a Mac, and definitely don't intend to get one anytime soon as they have no good software (Flame war: ON). Well, my wife has a Mac

Yes, she was telling me about that.

Staying on the topic of microphones for dictation: anyone encountering problems might blame the microphone whereas in fact the glitch may be in the software. It's probably impossible to say, unless you try out different microphones with the same software (which is what I did).

[Edited at 2016-10-24 12:25 GMT]

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:58
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I use a Tablemike + USB sound card Oct 24, 2016

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

Has anyone tried training or does anyone actually use Microsoft's inbuilt dictation software (Win 10)? Is it worth it?
Assuming Microsoft is not an option, which version of Dragon (I think I will be trying a method suggested in this forum: only dictating text, in my case in Studio and MemoQ, and inputting most commands manually)?
Who uses a table microphone for dictation and what are your experiences? Do you use a cheap or a high-end model or something in between? (I can't get used to headsets.)

[Edited at 2016-10-24 09:45 GMT]

Hi Olly,

I have tried Windows Speech Recognition, but it's simply no match to Dragon, so I stopped using it. That is not to say that it won't work for you, of course.

I use a 2-in-1 Tablemike with a USB sound card on my desktop computer. I got this several years ago and it still works really well. I also have a headset + USB sound card that I use for my laptop. Whether you get a table microphone or a headset, getting a USB sound card is really important. Check out the Knowbrainer store for good professional microphone options.

Lastly, regarding Dragon versions, it depends what language you'll be dictating into. If you're dictating into English, you can get DPI15, which just came out in September. If you're dictating into one of the other supported languages, the latest version is DPI14. Please note that Dragon doesn't support every language, you'd have to check with Nuance. And I would suggest being open to the possibility of using commands in Dragon within your CAT tool. I think you will find this powerful feature makes a big difference.

I did a webinar for SDL last August on using Dragon with Studio, where you can see how it works. If you're interested in getting a link to the recording, send me a message and I'll be happy to provide it. The webinar starts with an explanation of the hardware used, so that may help with your microphone question and includes a demonstration of dictation and several custom commands.

Best,

Nora

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
transcriptionist Oct 24, 2016

Probably thirty years ago, one of the first working translators I ever met told me that he dictated his translations using a Dictaphone. Then an associate who was a fast typist would transcribe the tapes (or whatever a Dictaphone has). He said that even though he was paying the assistant, he was still making more money because of his high output.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Typist Oct 24, 2016

Jessica Noyes wrote:

Probably thirty years ago, one of the first working translators I ever met told me that he dictated his translations using a Dictaphone. Then an associate who was a fast typist would transcribe the tapes (or whatever a Dictaphone has). He said that even though he was paying the assistant, he was still making more money because of his high output.

I don't think typists exist any more. That used to be a qualification and a job (Pitman shorthand and typing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjoigPf4IzE

[Edited at 2016-10-24 14:28 GMT]

Przemek Kalemba
Przemek Kalemba  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
English to Polish
+ ...
What about MacOS dictation software quality? Oct 26, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

If you were using the MacOS....... the Dictation software languages include Polish.

Thanks so much, Tom. I had no idea...

I assume that the quality of the MacOS dictation software in English is very good since so many people here seem to be using it. But what about Polish and the other languages? Has anyone ever used MacOS Dictation software in languages other than English?

Your advice is much appreciated.

Przemek Kalemba

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes, and..... Oct 26, 2016

Przemek Kalemba wrote:

....what about Polish and the other languages? Has anyone ever used MacOS Dictation software in languages other than English?

I regularly use it for Italian and English, and the quality is equally good in both languages. I can't speak for all the other languages (and there are many) but I do know that in general, Apple requires quality standards to be met before allowing any software (or component thereof) to "go live".

[Edited at 2016-10-26 13:02 GMT]

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:58
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Webinar recording: Dragon + Studio Oct 26, 2016

Hello everyone,

A webinar recording where you can see how Studio 2015 and Dragon 14 (DPI 14) interact with one another is now available here:

http://www.translationzone.com/video/beyond-dictation-how-to-control-studio-by-voice-with-dragon-naturally-speaking/111200/

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
okay, false alarm Oct 30, 2016

In a previous post I mentioned that I was not yet sure about the quality of the new DPI 15. Turns out I was using a UK English profile instead of a US English one. Although I translate into UK English 99% of the time (and so wanted to use the UK English profile to get stuff like colour, organisation, etc.) I speak with an American accent. Recognition is now back up to around 99% accurate, and absolutely amazing. Long sentences, single words, complicated stuff: DPI15 gets it all right!

... See more
In a previous post I mentioned that I was not yet sure about the quality of the new DPI 15. Turns out I was using a UK English profile instead of a US English one. Although I translate into UK English 99% of the time (and so wanted to use the UK English profile to get stuff like colour, organisation, etc.) I speak with an American accent. Recognition is now back up to around 99% accurate, and absolutely amazing. Long sentences, single words, complicated stuff: DPI15 gets it all right!

Michael
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Same but Australian Oct 30, 2016

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

Although I translate into UK English 99% of the time (and so wanted to use the UK English profile to get stuff like colour, organisation, etc.) I speak with an American accent.
Michael

This was the same with me but I had to change the language settings on mac dictation to Australian English! U.S. or U.K. yielded very inaccurate results and I was glad no one could overhear my embarrassing attempts to impersonate those accents! Haha

Przemek Kalemba
Przemek Kalemba  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
English to Polish
+ ...
Does it come free with every MAC computer? Oct 31, 2016

I regularly use it for Italian and English, and the quality is equally good in both languages. I can't speak for all the other languages (and there are many) but I do know that in general, Apple requires quality standards to be met before allowing any software (or component thereof) to "go live".

Thanks so much, Tom. Does this feature come free with every MAC computer you buy now?

Many thanks.

Przemek Kalemba

[Edited at 2016-10-31 07:04 GMT]

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:58
Dutch to English
profile Oct 31, 2016

That's interesting about the profile. I thought the choice of variant was more related to the dictionary on which the language is based rather than the accent. I wonder how the latest Dragon would deal with my being a New Zealander with a not very pronounced Kiwi accent and with hints of a Dutch accent in there too. Dragon 10 understood a lot of what I said, but not enough. Can anyone else reading this comment on results in later versions of Dragon combined with non-standard accents? I would be ... See more
That's interesting about the profile. I thought the choice of variant was more related to the dictionary on which the language is based rather than the accent. I wonder how the latest Dragon would deal with my being a New Zealander with a not very pronounced Kiwi accent and with hints of a Dutch accent in there too. Dragon 10 understood a lot of what I said, but not enough. Can anyone else reading this comment on results in later versions of Dragon combined with non-standard accents? I would be looking for something like the "nearly 99% accuracy" advertised on the box of DNS 13 premium.

Also, have been in touch with Knowbrainer, who are trying to sell me a package worth almost €500 including DPI 15, a mic and the Knowbrainer utility, but I think they're assuming I want to go completely hands free. Can anyone comment on whether a previous (and much cheaper version) might be good enough if one doesn't intend to use commands but only speak text?

Thanks,

Olly
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 05:58
English to Indonesian
+ ...
I'm not Tom, but... Oct 31, 2016

Przemek Kalemba wrote:
Does this feature come free with every MAC computer you buy now?

... yes. The following languages are covered:

Dictation languages:

English (Australia, Canada, India, Ireland, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, UK, U.S.), Spanish (Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Spain, U.S.), French (Belgium, Canada, France, Switzerland), German (Austria, Germany, Switzerland), Italian (Italy, Switzerland), Japanese, Korean, Mandarin (Mainland China, Taiwan), Cantonese (Hong Kong), Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch (Belgium, Netherlands), Finnish, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Malaysian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil, Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Slovakian, Swedish, Turkish, Thai, Ukrainian, Vietnamese

For more information on the incredible and free language features OS X/macOS/iOS offer, there's yet another Tom who may or may not live in London.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2016-11-01 00:10 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes. Oct 31, 2016

Przemek Kalemba wrote:

Thanks so much, Tom. Does this feature come free with every MAC computer you buy now?

Many thanks.

Przemek Kalemba

[Edited at 2016-10-31 07:04 GMT]

YEs- it's a standard part of the MacOS. You find it in System Preferences.

[Edited at 2016-10-31 11:45 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

This has doubled my work performance! Have you tried dictation?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »