Pasquale Battaglia
Pasquale Battaglia
Italy
Local time: 16:55
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 5, 2016

Good evening,

I'm a student of IULM University in Milan and I decided to have a survey in my dissertation: it's about the usage of Translation Memory Tools in specific fields.

https://it.surveymonkey.com/r/68XKZVR

It takes only 5 minutes and I would be very grateful if you help me.

Thank you
... See more
Good evening,

I'm a student of IULM University in Milan and I decided to have a survey in my dissertation: it's about the usage of Translation Memory Tools in specific fields.

Thank you in advance.

Pasquale Battaglia
Collapse

Dani Karuniawan
Dani Karuniawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 21:55
English to Indonesian
+ ...
My experience with CAT Feb 6, 2016

Pasquale Battaglia wrote:

Good evening,

Thank you in advance.

Pasquale Battaglia

CAT tools have flaws, with which they do not fit for VIP projects. Don't use CAT tools for VIP customers (it is dangerous) and only use it for average clients. For very important projects, pour directly your translation into Microsoft Word without any CAT tool.

[Edited at 2016-02-06 09:26 GMT]

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:55
English to German
Research topic Feb 6, 2016

Would you mind sharing what your research topic is exactly.

[Edited at 2016-02-06 10:58 GMT]

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:55
Russian to English
+ ...
I am sorry, but your survey is very deficient Feb 7, 2016

Many people working even in the scientific field, and especially journalism do not use any CAT software, and this very important option is totally missing, so it is really a pointless survey. I think it might be wise to redo it. Just for your own good and scientific truth.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:55
French to English
none of the above Feb 8, 2016

I tried to do the survey.

You didn't include any options like "none of the above" or "I don't use CAT tools for this type of translation" or "I use X but always give the text a final polish after exporting it back to the client format".

Basically, I could only answer the questions for fields that I never translate in, like finance, and technical, where I use the CAT tool required by the agency. And technical is the field in which I translate the least, and only in betw
... See more
I tried to do the survey.

You didn't include any options like "none of the above" or "I don't use CAT tools for this type of translation" or "I use X but always give the text a final polish after exporting it back to the client format".

Basically, I could only answer the questions for fields that I never translate in, like finance, and technical, where I use the CAT tool required by the agency. And technical is the field in which I translate the least, and only in between more lucrative/interesting stuff.

So I don't think your data is going to be particularly useful.

And please, I know English spelling is ridiculous but using a spell-check is simplicity itself.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Survey for Dissertation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »