neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 16:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Go figure.... Feb 4, 2016

Michael Wetzel wrote:
... However, this strategy is not available in American English except by way of various sleights of hand, such as using "we" or adding something to the name of the company so that the subject does in fact become plural: "Everyone at Coca-Cola feels ..."

Just goes to prove the old saying: "It's tough at the top"

patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the input. Feb 4, 2016

I have to agree with Neilmac in using personal preference. I have no problem using "it" in legal documents, but "they" certainly makes it more human feeling, so in this case, which was an advertising video, it (meaning "they") seemed the best choice.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
also a long way down from a high horse Feb 5, 2016

patyjs wrote:

Is there a standard way to refer to companies when using personal pronouns. I don't know whether to use "its" or "theirs."

For example: XXXX gives you an exclusive gift inspired by its/their (product name).

Thanks

Looking back at the original example, I have to say ...

... of course it is appropriate to write "Burger King gives you an exclusive gifit inspired by their Whopper."

What I was going on about was not completely unfounded (the use of "its" is pretty close to obligatory in the US in general), but apparently it was not all that relevant either.

As everyone thinking more clearly has already said: At some point, you have to follow what your gut says in a given context.

[Edited at 2016-02-05 15:13 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-02-05 15:13 GMT]

Peter Zhuang
Peter Zhuang  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Common reference Feb 5, 2016

While not foolproof, I think referring and sticking to an established style guide is a good idea. Your customer would probably be more easily convinced when they know that a respected publication agrees with your choice of style.

Here's what The Guardian, which arguably writes good English, said regarding company names and collective nouns:

1. Company names are always singular

2. Nouns such as committee, family, government, jury, squad and team take a singu
... See more
While not foolproof, I think referring and sticking to an established style guide is a good idea. Your customer would probably be more easily convinced when they know that a respected publication agrees with your choice of style.

Here's what The Guardian, which arguably writes good English, said regarding company names and collective nouns:

1. Company names are always singular

2. Nouns such as committee, family, government, jury, squad and team take a singular verb or pronoun when thought of as a single unit, but a plural verb or pronoun when thought of as a collection of individuals

A few examples have been given in their style guide. Here's the link for those interested: http://www.theguardian.com/guardian-observer-style-guide-c

My takeaway is that maintaining consistency in a sentence is key.
Collapse

Richard Purdom
Richard Purdom  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:37
Dutch to English
+ ...
it! Feb 5, 2016

Companies are always 'it' IMHO, unless I'm talking informally, when they become plural. So if you're translating (informal) speech, you can use the plural, otherwise play safe and use 'it'.

However, the informal does tend to take over the formal, which is why we now say 'the police are coming' or 'Manchester United are doing well', and definitely 'The Beatles were successful (and not 'The Beatles was a successful group'.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Personal pronouns for companies

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »