Theory about translating persuasive language
Thread poster: pradityar
pradityar
pradityar
Local time: 19:29
Indonesian to English
+ ...
Aug 28, 2015

Good evening, I need help for my thesis about translating persuasive language in online tour guiding website. I find difficulties of searching theories about persuasive language and translating persuasive language. I would appreciate anything related to those theories.
Thanks in advance

[Edited at 2015-08-28 14:59 GMT]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 19:29
English to Thai
+ ...
Recommended readings Aug 29, 2015

pradityar wrote:

Good evening, I need help for my thesis about translating persuasive language in online tour guiding website. I find difficulties of searching theories about persuasive language and translating persuasive language. I would appreciate anything related to those theories.
Thanks in advance

[Edited at 2015-08-28 14:59 GMT]

I recommend that you read two papers below:

http://ir.nmu.org.ua/bitstream/handle/123456789/116954/06b89c8343b30b05a99d5723277c39f8.pdf?sequence=1

http://vk.com/doc198667109_184130561?hash=d42b246b009bbcc6eb&dl=19059d20bba184b45e

Regards,
Soonthon L.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 20:29
Chinese to English
It's not easy to find Aug 29, 2015

I wrote about persuasive language in my MA thesis. The literature is sparse.

My paper is available here: https://www.academia.edu/7259958/Run-on_sentences_and_metaphor_in_Chinese_political_rhetoric

These references are relevant:
Batluk, L. 2011. Rhythm and rhetoric: a linguistic analysis of Obama’s inaugural add
... See more
I wrote about persuasive language in my MA thesis. The literature is sparse.

My paper is available here: https://www.academia.edu/7259958/Run-on_sentences_and_metaphor_in_Chinese_political_rhetoric

These references are relevant:
Batluk, L. 2011. Rhythm and rhetoric: a linguistic analysis of Obama’s inaugural address. Unpublished bachelor’s thesis in English, Halmstad University. Accessed online at hh.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:427453/FULLTEXT03
Deignan, A. 2005. Metaphor and Corpus Linguistics. Amsterdam. John Benjamins.
Kennedy, G. A. 1994. A New History of Classical Rhetoric. Princeton. Princeton University Press.
Kienpointner, M. 2011a. Figures of speech. In Östman, Ledin & Verschueren (eds.) Discursive Pragmatics. Amsterdam. John Benjamins.
Kienpointner, M. 2011b. Rhetoric. In Östman, Verschueren (eds.) Pragmatics in Practice. Amsterdam. John Benjamins.
van Mulken, M. 2003. Analyzing rhetorical devices in print advertisements. Document Design 4(2).
Neale T.H. & Ely, D. 2007. Speechwriting in Perspective: A Brief Guide to Effective and Persuasive Communication. Washington. Congressional Research Service, Library of Congress.
Nicolescu-Gorpin, A.-G. 2008. Metaphorical scenarios in the 2004 American presidential debates and their relevance for persuasion. Proceedings of The 1st International Conference on Linguistic and Intercultural Education. Alba Iulia 2008, 27 - 29 November.
Perelman, C. & Olbrechts-Tyteca, L. 1969. The New Rhetoric: A Treatise on Argumentation. Wilkinson & Weaver (trans.). Notre Dame. University of Notre Dame Press.
Plantin, C. 2009. A place for figures of speech in argumentation theory. Argumentation, vol. 23 no. 3.
Quentel, G. 2006. Political speech and oratorical parameters in translation. Języki Spcjalistyczne nr.6
Zheng, T. 2000. Characteristics of Australian political language rhetoric: tactics of gaining public support and shirking responsibility. Intercultural Communication, issue 4.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Theory about translating persuasive language

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »