Thread poster: Lucyxiao
Lucyxiao
Lucyxiao
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:55
English to Chinese
Jul 27, 2014

Hi,

I am writing an essay about how translation can be used to subvert, reinforce or reflect the values of a receiving culture. I am doing my own research but I would be interested in any views, suggestions, experiences, articles or books on this subject from the translation community. I am particularly keen on material relating to translating between English and Chinese (Simplified), but anything in this area would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Lucy

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:55
Japanese to English
+ ...
... Jul 27, 2014

Lucyxiao wrote:

I am writing an essay about how translation can be used to subvert, reinforce or reflect the values of a receiving culture.

I don't know if there is a better example of this than the various incarnations of the Bible. I mean, what translations could have possibly affected more people's lives over the millennia? The accuracy of the translations from the original Hebrew and Ancient Greek into modern languages is still being debated by scholars and theologians to this day, with far-reaching consequences. Empires have been built and worlds conquered based on those translations.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 12:55
Chinese to English
Scientific translation into Chinese Jul 28, 2014

You could look at the translation of science stuff into Chinese, with Yan Fu the obvious example.

If you want something more advanced, I translated a long journal article on this very sub
... See more
You could look at the translation of science stuff into Chinese, with Yan Fu the obvious example.

If you want something more advanced, I translated a long journal article on this very subject not long ago:
https://www.academia.edu/1047212/_29_2_2011_1-75_Yu-chih_Lai_Images_Knowledge_and_Empire_Depicting_Cassowaries_in_the_Qing_Court_The_National_Palace_Museum_Research_Qaurterly_29_2_2011_pp._1-75
http://archiv.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/ojs/index.php/transcultural/article/view/10769
Collapse

Lucyxiao
Lucyxiao
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:55
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 2, 2014

Hi Orrin ,
Many thanks for your help. Yes, Bible translation would be a good example.
Have a nice weekend
Regards
Lucy

Dear Phil,
Thanks a lot for sharing your translation with me, I find it very interesting.
Hope to talk again soon.
Thanks again
Regards
Lucy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation subverting or reinforcing the values of a receiving culture

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »