Questions about formatting (English Spanish)
Thread poster: jordanberger59
jordanberger59
jordanberger59
United States
Apr 24, 2014

Hello,

It is to my understanding that for the formatting of certificate translations (university certificates from Spanish into English), one must closely adhere to the formatting of the certificate.

What does one do with different font types and font sizes?

For example, in many Latin American university degrees, they will use very fancy cursive fonts followed by more normal looking fonts. Moreover, some of these phrases will be italicized, bolded, or un
... See more
Hello,

It is to my understanding that for the formatting of certificate translations (university certificates from Spanish into English), one must closely adhere to the formatting of the certificate.

What does one do with different font types and font sizes?

For example, in many Latin American university degrees, they will use very fancy cursive fonts followed by more normal looking fonts. Moreover, some of these phrases will be italicized, bolded, or underlined, while others will not be.

1. How much of this is one supposed to reproduce? Is one to copy the style and translate the fancy cursive font into English in a fancy cursive font? Is one suppose to reproduce the italicized phrases (for names for example)? Or is it okay to stick to Times New Roman throughout the entire translation?

2. I am confirming that it is okay to mark logos as follows:

XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
(University logo here)

3. What are you supposed to do with Spanish initials (For like government agencies or school departments) that you do not understand? I just put XX (Illegible initials)

Thank you!
Collapse

Janet Ross Snyder
Janet Ross Snyder  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:10
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Make it look similar Apr 24, 2014

1. You don't need to reproduce the fonts exactly. Just choose a standard font and use it throughout your translation, changing the type size, and using boldface and italics where appropriate.

2. For logos, put [logo:] Spanish text [English equivalent in brackets]
For stamps, put [stamp:] followed by the English translation
For handwritten, put [handwritten:] followed by the translation of the handwritten text.
For the signature, [signature] is usually s
... See more
1. You don't need to reproduce the fonts exactly. Just choose a standard font and use it throughout your translation, changing the type size, and using boldface and italics where appropriate.

2. For logos, put [logo:] Spanish text [English equivalent in brackets]
For stamps, put [stamp:] followed by the English translation
For handwritten, put [handwritten:] followed by the translation of the handwritten text.
For the signature, [signature] is usually sufficient.

3. For abbreviations that you do not understand, do as thorough a search as you possibly can on the internet. Don't use [illegible] unless you cannot decipher the letters or numbers.
Collapse

jordanberger59
jordanberger59
United States
TOPIC STARTER
Confirmation Apr 24, 2014

Hello, so to confirm, if I read that the logo is from a certain university, we'll say, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, and I'm translating from Spanish into English, I would write:

[logo:] Universidad Complutense de Madrid [Complutense University of Madrid]

or backwards?

[logo:] Complutense University of Madrid [Universidad Complutense de Madrid]

Thank you for your clear explanation

Janet Ross Snyder
Janet Ross Snyder  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:10
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
source language followed by target language Apr 24, 2014

[logo:] Universidad de Puebla [Puebla University]

PatrickMoreschi
PatrickMoreschi
United States
Local time: 10:10
Formating May 8, 2014

Standard font & size is a perfect for the use throughout translation.
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
(Signature)
(University logo here)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Questions about formatting (English Spanish)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »