Non-translation-specific project management and collaboration software/app?
Thread poster: Victoria Patience (X)
Victoria Patience (X)
Victoria Patience (X)
Local time: 21:02
Spanish to English
Jan 28, 2016

Hi all. Does anyone have any experience using non-translation specific collaboration and PM software or apps? I'm thinking Basecamp, Trello, ActiveCollab, Slack, etc.
I'm basically a freelancer and do lots of smallish jobs but work with a partner (she's the native Spanish speaker, I'm the native English speaker) and we share most of our jobs (i.e. one proofreading the other), and very occasionally when we can't deal with volume we bring in other translators we know. We each work from home
... See more
Hi all. Does anyone have any experience using non-translation specific collaboration and PM software or apps? I'm thinking Basecamp, Trello, ActiveCollab, Slack, etc.
I'm basically a freelancer and do lots of smallish jobs but work with a partner (she's the native Spanish speaker, I'm the native English speaker) and we share most of our jobs (i.e. one proofreading the other), and very occasionally when we can't deal with volume we bring in other translators we know. We each work from home and we need some kind of platform to track our jobs that includes a calendar/task list of some sort so we can see our availability and deadlines at a glance, possibly track hours, and (this might be getting too ambitious) also track payment. I don't need to create invoices through this, just a basic record of how much each job was worth and how it divvies up between the two of us. And it needs to be mobile friendly...
At the moment, we have a messy combination of Google calendar, Google spreadsheet for money, whatsapp for messages between us, etc etc. Is there anything better that you have tried?
Thanks!
Collapse

Pablo Strauss
Pablo Strauss  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:02
French to English
I'd also love to hear feedback on this Nov 29, 2017

I work with a group of translators and we use Basecamp. It works quite well, especially as a transparent and fair way to post a job which then goes to the first person who answers, and also as a way to exchange files instead of constantly emailing them back and forth. The chat function is useful too.

For another group that's just getting started, I'm considering Freedcamp (looks similar, but better pricing right now). Does anyone have hands-on experience with Freedcamp?

... See more
I work with a group of translators and we use Basecamp. It works quite well, especially as a transparent and fair way to post a job which then goes to the first person who answers, and also as a way to exchange files instead of constantly emailing them back and forth. The chat function is useful too.

For another group that's just getting started, I'm considering Freedcamp (looks similar, but better pricing right now). Does anyone have hands-on experience with Freedcamp?

Imagine a small to medium size group (5-15 people) constantly working together, splitting jobs and revising each others' work. We would need something for sharing and archiving documents and reference material, having discussions that don't overload everyone's email inboxes, etc. Basically all the steps involved in working together.

I'd consider free and open source/self-hosted, but am not averse to paying for something that's simple and works well, if it'll save me time.

Would value any feedback whatsover, especially from people who've used any of these apps with teams over a period of time. Thanks!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non-translation-specific project management and collaboration software/app?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »