reviewer/editor fee
Thread poster: nicolewang
nicolewang
nicolewang
New Zealand
Local time: 18:47
English to Chinese
Dec 24, 2015

Hi everyone, I recently have been asked to do some sort of review job, here are the job requirements:

1. review and edit content translated on website, (most of content will be marketing/UI)
2. quality assurance (ensure translation meets client's requirement, interact with translators/vendors to improve quality)
3. manage terminology glossaries if required, etc.

I am a qualified/experienced translator, I normally charge per word, however, it's the fir
... See more
Hi everyone, I recently have been asked to do some sort of review job, here are the job requirements:

1. review and edit content translated on website, (most of content will be marketing/UI)
2. quality assurance (ensure translation meets client's requirement, interact with translators/vendors to improve quality)
3. manage terminology glossaries if required, etc.

I am a qualified/experienced translator, I normally charge per word, however, it's the first time that i have to come up a hourly rate for this kind of job.

Could someone please provide some suggestions? I am thinking about USD 25/hour Thank you!!
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:47
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
How much do you earn in an hour of translating? Dec 24, 2015

If you charge USD x for a word and translate let's say 300 words per hour your hourly fee should be 300x.

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:47
French to German
+ ...
25 USD is not much Dec 24, 2015

In Europe the fee would be more likely to be somewhat between 30 and 60 € per hour.

For Chinese it's likely to be at the high end, so personally I would not go under 45 or 50 €.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:47
English to French
Up to you Dec 24, 2015

nicolewang wrote:
I am thinking about USD25/hour Thank you!!

If earning $25/working hour is enough for you to:
pay bills
plan for retirement
have medical cover
support your family
save for unexpected circumstances
maintain you skills' level
pay taxes
renew equipment

Then go for it!

The hour of service in my car dealership is €50 (+VAT), but they don't know two languages.

Philippe

Edit: I forgot about holiday costs, but at $25 I don't think you expect to have any.

[Edited at 2015-12-24 10:18 GMT]

Glenn Brigaldino
Glenn Brigaldino
Canada
Local time: 01:47
German to English
+ ...
too low is to low-ball yourself Dec 24, 2015

Andrea Halbritter wrote:

In Europe the fee would be more likely to be somewhat between 30 and 60 € per hour.

For Chinese it's likely to be at the high end, so personally I would not go under 45 or 50 €.

I agree, you ought to maintain a minimum rate, as suggested here. If you accept such a low rate of $25, that may indicate that you are not very serious about yoru work as you undervalue it yoruself. On such an assignment you should be very firm about the hourly minimum (and if more than one and a half hours, you must charge for two).
Good luck, regards, GB

nicolewang
nicolewang
New Zealand
Local time: 18:47
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for your suggestions Dec 26, 2015

To be honest, I never thought USD25/hour is low before according to the average hourly rate for translating in New Zealand , so that's why I was considering this rate.

However, now I realize I may have to raise the rate.

Thank you very much everyone
Hope you all have a merry Xmas and a wonderful new year!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

reviewer/editor fee

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »