Advice on tracking word counts per subject category in Excel please?
Thread poster: Vivien Green
Vivien Green
Vivien Green  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Feb 4, 2015

I'm trying to calculate word counts by subject category and thus need to upgrade my Excel skills. I was wondering if anyone could help me?

In Excel, if I enter the category a particular job falls under (say, "Legal"), in the same row as the job description, reference number and word count, can I then add the word counts for all jobs in this category quite easily and if so how do I do this? I looked this up online and everything I found was telling me to click on each cell individu
... See more
I'm trying to calculate word counts by subject category and thus need to upgrade my Excel skills. I was wondering if anyone could help me?

In Excel, if I enter the category a particular job falls under (say, "Legal"), in the same row as the job description, reference number and word count, can I then add the word counts for all jobs in this category quite easily and if so how do I do this? I looked this up online and everything I found was telling me to click on each cell individually, but this doesn't seem practical as my document is already quite big and will only get bigger.

Also, if there's cross-over between subject areas and a job fits into more than one category, does anyone know if Excel will include the word count for a particular job in both categories or in neither of them where a cell contains a hybrid entry, for example "Legal/Education"?

I have posted one other similar questions in this category, just to make people aware and to try to avoid confusion. Apologies if I've posted in the wrong section.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on tracking word counts per subject category in Excel please?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »