Episode 019 – Pricing strategies for freelance translators – Interview with Gwenydd Jones

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Episode 019 – Pricing strategies for freelance translators – Interview with Gwenydd Jones".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Thomas Kis-Major
Thomas Kis-Major  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:46
English to Hungarian
+ ...
John Glenn's input Aug 1, 2014

'As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind

- every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder.'

John Glenn

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson
Spain
Local time: 10:46
Catalan to English
+ ...
Mea culpa Aug 2, 2014

I actually listened to this.

No, really. All of it.

I learnt that well paid but complex texts may not be worth it. Better a far easier text at a lower rate.

I learnt that there's software that tracks your time.

I learnt that "researching terminology" is a waste of time. (But remember, you have an application to track this).

I learnt that you have to charge a "sustainable" rate, enabling you to cover your expenses.

... See more
I actually listened to this.

No, really. All of it.

I learnt that well paid but complex texts may not be worth it. Better a far easier text at a lower rate.

I learnt that there's software that tracks your time.

I learnt that "researching terminology" is a waste of time. (But remember, you have an application to track this).

I learnt that you have to charge a "sustainable" rate, enabling you to cover your expenses.

Me mum always told me I was daft. (In a "sustainable" way, of course).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Episode 019 – Pricing strategies for freelance translators – Interview with Gwenydd Jones

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »