Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
A translator who talked

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "A translator who talked".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:21
French to English
crystal clear Jul 24, 2014

Tom in London wrote:

Sometimes it's clear. I recently turned down a job that consisted of a survey to find out what brand of cigarettes people prefer.

ok, yes that is clear enough!

Benjaminson
Benjaminson
Israel
Local time: 10:21
Japanese to English
Betsy here -- thanks for comments Jul 30, 2014

Hello everybody, I am also a ProZ member. Thank you for your thoughtful comments.
I am invited to speak about translator ethics at the upcoming ATA conference, after having spoken on that topic to the Israel Translators Association some months ago. You can hear more about my decision-making processes then, if you attend.
To answer some of you briefly, yes I did carefully check the technical, legal, and ethical situation before acting, I confirmed lots of other evidence existed, yes I w
... See more
Hello everybody, I am also a ProZ member. Thank you for your thoughtful comments.
I am invited to speak about translator ethics at the upcoming ATA conference, after having spoken on that topic to the Israel Translators Association some months ago. You can hear more about my decision-making processes then, if you attend.
To answer some of you briefly, yes I did carefully check the technical, legal, and ethical situation before acting, I confirmed lots of other evidence existed, yes I went to the client law firm (and was rebuffed), yes I went to Toyota (letter sent back unopened), yes I went to the court, Congress, the regulators, the office of the DOT inspector general, the Department of Justice, and the FBI. Really they all ignored me. As each one said "go away," for its own reasons, I stepped up my work in the media.
There is evidence of thousands and thousands of incidents still going on, and people are still getting killed and hurt, and many wrongful death lawsuits remain pending.
There is no clear-cut answer about disclosing confidential information but there are some principles that can be applied to a decision. I hope to talk about them at the ATA in Chicago. Meanwhile I have to cope with a subpoena and with quite a lack of translation work. But I have no regrets and I remain confident that I did the right thing, and if this is seen through to the end, I believe that there will be some life-saving impact. A whistleblowing project like this sometimes can take 10 years to get results. I've been at it for only 3 years so far.
My blog is here. betsybenjaminson.blogspot.com
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:21
French to English
thank you Jul 31, 2014

thank you Betsy and I wish you "bon courage" as the French say.

I admire your guts and sincerely hope I would do the same as you.

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:21
English to Spanish
What a lady Jul 31, 2014

Nobody can say that Betsy is not:
1) Smart
2) Diligent
3) Ethical
4) Gutsy

I salute you, Betsy!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A translator who talked

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »