Exporting translations for external review in Transit
Thread poster: Russell Keeley
Russell Keeley
Russell Keeley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:53
Jun 23, 2016

Hello,

Is there any way in Transit to export translations for external review in some kind of universal format such as a bilingual table in Word and then reimport the changes back into the Transit language pairs?

I've been searching for a way to do this and all I can find are methods to export, but nothing that will let me reimport again afterwards.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Russell

oerjan
oerjan
Local time: 23:53
German to Swedish
Not directly Jun 23, 2016

Hi Russel,
I think you have to decide either to export language pairs for external review and then insert the changes manually or to use the new review function with track changes that only works if the reviewer also uses Transit.

If you do have a copy of MemoQ you could export a package from Transit, import it into MemoQ and then use the external review export in MemoQ. It´s a bit clumsy but should work.

FWIW,
Örjan

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Export? Jun 23, 2016

Russell Keeley wrote:

I've been searching for a way to do this and all I can find are methods to export, but nothing that will let me reimport again afterwards.

Which way exactly did you find?

I'd have sworn that these bilingual tables are present in Transit too, but it looks like they're not.

I guess that there are several ways to handle this via other apps (Xbench?, memoQ?).

You can contact me directly for further information, as this is the Transit forum.

Karen_E
Karen_E
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:53
Do you need to export? Jun 23, 2016

To play devil's advocate, do you actually need to export it? There isn't a function within Transit that will export to a bilingual table that can be re-imported, but you could amend your layout in Transit to display it in a tabular form - then you are editing the actual file (if you need to make changes).
I only suggest this because exporting to a table won't reproduce the layout anyway, so I can't see what the immediate benefit would be.

An alternative is to print to PDF - yo
... See more
To play devil's advocate, do you actually need to export it? There isn't a function within Transit that will export to a bilingual table that can be re-imported, but you could amend your layout in Transit to display it in a tabular form - then you are editing the actual file (if you need to make changes).
I only suggest this because exporting to a table won't reproduce the layout anyway, so I can't see what the immediate benefit would be.

An alternative is to print to PDF - you could set this to show each segment with its translation underneath and read through it like that, if you simply need to be able to see it in a different format.
Collapse

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
French to English
Not possible Jun 23, 2016

I've been asking for this feature for some time now!
SDL Trados Studio 2015 offers this, it's very good, a bilingual table in Word including segment number, it exports everything inculding tags and imports it back in Review mode. As far as I recall, if the original format is a Word document, it even exports the reviewer's comments/corrections as Word comments!
Transit has a lot of catching up to do (no statistics on internal fuzzy matches, regular expressions that no longer work in S
... See more
I've been asking for this feature for some time now!
SDL Trados Studio 2015 offers this, it's very good, a bilingual table in Word including segment number, it exports everything inculding tags and imports it back in Review mode. As far as I recall, if the original format is a Word document, it even exports the reviewer's comments/corrections as Word comments!
Transit has a lot of catching up to do (no statistics on internal fuzzy matches, regular expressions that no longer work in SP9, XLF treated as a project rather than as a file type (so no pretranslation possible), among many other bugs and annoyances).
If only they's listen to us!

Richard
Collapse

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
French to English
To Karen Jun 23, 2016

The whole point of being able to export for review is to be able to have it reviewed by someone who hasn't got Transit!
That's what SDL allows (and aptly calls external review as I recall) and Transit doesn't!

XLF Jul 7, 2016

wotswot wrote:
... XLF treated as a project rather than as a file type (so no pretranslation possible)...

I assume "XLF" shall mean XLIFF here.

You said, that you cannot pretranslate XLIFF. I thought you can pretranslate XLIFF projects (at least if you have the professional version).
Why is it not possble for you?

By the way: IMHO XLIFF is a project exchange format (including terminology, memories etc.) rather than a simple file-to-be-translated format. Why should it make sense NOT to treat it as project?

Best regards,

O.N.

[Edited at 2016-07-07 16:49 GMT]

AlSqur (X)
AlSqur (X)
workaround Aug 5, 2016

exprort as TMX and then convert the TMX to Excel (e.g. Heartsome TMX can do it).
But you can't reimport it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting translations for external review in Transit

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »