Thread poster: Andy Lemminger
Andy Lemminger
Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:54
Member (2002)
English to German
Oct 16, 2014

I've already posted this in Studio support but so far no answers. Now I'm trying my luck again:

Is there currently an easy way to export Transit NXT projects into Studio 2014, get them done there and reimport them back into Transit?

I know that it's possible to use memoQ as a file converter but I'm wondering if there's a less time-consuming direct way to do this.

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:54
Member (2011)
French to English
NXT Studio round trip Oct 16, 2014

Andy,

As far as I know there is no way of achieving this yet. A few months ago I asked a Studio guru about this, and he told me that they were working on it, but it wasn't a priority, and what's more it raised a number of technical problems (in particular Transit's language-pair files rather than a "bilingual single-file" structure), not to mention the different termbase formats (Transit's is an Access .mdb, whereas Studio's is an .xml based file I believe).

By the same
... See more
Andy,

As far as I know there is no way of achieving this yet. A few months ago I asked a Studio guru about this, and he told me that they were working on it, but it wasn't a priority, and what's more it raised a number of technical problems (in particular Transit's language-pair files rather than a "bilingual single-file" structure), not to mention the different termbase formats (Transit's is an Access .mdb, whereas Studio's is an .xml based file I believe).

By the same token, Transit cannot import Studio projects (.sdlproj) or Studio packages (.sdlppx). I have been led to believe that the people at Transit don't consider this a priority either (despite Studio's unquestionable market dominance).

The round trip the other way round (i.e. Studio - Transit - Studio) is possible of course, if you have Studio and if you use the OpenExchange app called 'SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter', but this isn't of any use to you I assume.

Richard
Collapse

Andy Lemminger
Canada
Member (2002)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Converter Oct 16, 2014

Hi Richard,

Yes, I do have both software packages but I mainly work in Studio so it would be great if I could get Transit jobs done in Studio as well.

This converter doesn't work the other way round?
Thanks for your input so far!

Andy

wotswot
France
Member (2011)
French to English
Andy Oct 16, 2014

I'm the opposite to you; I mainly use Transit but have several agencies who send me Studio packages, which I simply convert into .ttx with SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter.
This converter ONLY WORKS with .SDLXLIFF files (export and import), that's what it was designed to do (primarily for people having older versions of Trados, I believe).

To be complete, it exports from SDLXLIFF to Word .doc(x) (the old Trados bilingual format), TTX and TMX. It imports from the same .doc(x) and
... See more
I'm the opposite to you; I mainly use Transit but have several agencies who send me Studio packages, which I simply convert into .ttx with SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter.
This converter ONLY WORKS with .SDLXLIFF files (export and import), that's what it was designed to do (primarily for people having older versions of Trados, I believe).

To be complete, it exports from SDLXLIFF to Word .doc(x) (the old Trados bilingual format), TTX and TMX. It imports from the same .doc(x) and from .TTX to .SDLXLIFF only.

So it's no good for you I reckon (but download it and check it out anyway, it's free if you have Studio).

Perhaps you could tell me about MemoQ? Does it do what you need?

When you say "Transit jobs", I assume you only receive Transit packages (.PPF), is that correct? Otherwise, if you had the source files you could simply bypass Transit and do the job directly in Studio, no?

Richard
Collapse

Andy Lemminger
Canada
Member (2002)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
MemoQ Oct 16, 2014

Hi Richard,

Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to do, ppfs into sdlxliff. I don't have any source files.
I'll check that converter you talked about.

memoQ is a full-blown TM software that does what I want, but very slowly. Using it as a converter is kind of overkill and too time-consuming...

Andy

wotswot
France
Member (2011)
French to English
SDL contact Oct 16, 2014

You should contact Paul Filkin at SDL ([email protected]). I know he was working on this issue, but needed a beta-tester who has both Transit (NXT I presume, but this would need to be checked) and Studio 2014. I only have Studio 2011, and am not particularly motivated to test the SDL Plug-in for .PPFs, as I work mainly in Transit.

Richard

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Can transit export XLIFF or not? Oct 20, 2014

Michael Scholand has written in his company blog (http://transitnxt.wordpress.com/2013/11/13/what-happens-in-boblingen/):

>Support for XLIFF as an export and translation format

I can see that NXT can open XLIFF, but can it also 'export' or create an XLIFF file?

Michael, are you reading this?

Cheers,

Ha
... See more
Michael Scholand has written in his company blog (http://transitnxt.wordpress.com/2013/11/13/what-happens-in-boblingen/):

I can see that NXT can open XLIFF, but can it also 'export' or create an XLIFF file?

Cheers,

Hans
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:54
Finnish to French
STAR's passiveness regarding promotion of Transit Oct 20, 2014

2nl wrote:

It's funny you're mentioning him. He commented on one of my videos (apparently resenting the fact I didn't consider Transit as a 1st tier CAT tool) and then contacted me in private, offering to arrange for a free trial of Transit:

I did reply (giving him my e-mail), but never heard back from him. Transit must be one of the few tools I've never been able to even install. I think Jost Z. is right when he wrote STAR "trusts that their product will essentially sell itself." Well, I'm not convinced: I would love to get a chance to evaluate Transit, but how is this going to happen, since you can't download a trial from their site and people supposed to promote it don't reply when you contact them?

wotswot
France
Member (2011)
French to English
Hans Oct 20, 2014

As stated, Transit can only "import" and "export" xlff files. So the short answer to your question is "no it cannot create XLIFF (from another format)". It is a pity I agree.

Also, from Transit's point of view, XLIFF is a "project format" (in Transit terminology you have to "unpack a package", different menu), you don't import files matching the file format filter you set when creating a project.

Richard

Transit can generate XLIFF, but... Oct 22, 2014

As stated, Transit can only "import" and "export" xlff files. So the short answer to your question is "no it cannot create XLIFF (from another format)".

According to the Transit Product Guide, it can generate XLIFF in combination with STAR CLM. That may not be the answer you wanted to hear, but no it cannot create XLIFF cannot be completely confirmed.

Also, from Transit's point of view, XLIFF is a "project format" (in Transit terminology you have to "unpack a package", different menu), you don't import files matching the file format filter you set when creating a project.

IMHO that makes sense as XLIFF is a localization interchange format, i.e. a format to exchange localization/translation projects. It usally contains all necessary data and meta data, so there is no need to specify and generate this data like in a normal project setup process.
Nevertheless, you can "re-pretranslate" unpacked XLIFF projects in Transit e.g. to improve the given translations in the XLIFF project or process internal repetitions efficiently.

wotswot
France
Member (2011)
French to English
to Oiseau noir Oct 22, 2014

The operative phrase being "in combination with STAR CLM"!
I doubt that STAR CLM is an affordable or realistic solution for your average freelance translator; it appears to be aimed at agencies or large companies with an internal translation service.

Richard

starspain
starspain
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Please give me another opportunity :-) Oct 22, 2014

Hello Dominique

I know one has only one chance to make a good first impression, but please accept my apologies. I remember writing you but I have not been able to find your mail asking for an eval version. Please get back to me again and I will make sure you get your demo.

Regards,
Michael Scholand
CEO
STAR Servicios Lingüísticos
www.star-spain.com

Dominique Pivard wrote:

2nl wrote:

It's funny you're mentioning him. He commented on one of my videos (apparently resenting the fact I didn't consider Transit as a 1st tier CAT tool) and then contacted me in private, offering to arrange for a free trial of Transit:

I did reply (giving him my e-mail), but never heard back from him. Transit must be one of the few tools I've never been able to even install. I think Jost Z. is right when he wrote STAR "trusts that their product will essentially sell itself." Well, I'm not convinced: I would love to get a chance to evaluate Transit, but how is this going to happen, since you can't download a trial from their site and people supposed to promote it don't reply when you contact them?

Andy Lemminger
Canada
Member (2002)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Good impressions Oct 22, 2014

Hi Michael,

If you now provide a way to exchange data with Trados as well, you'd make an even better impression

Andy

wotswot
France
Member (2011)
French to English
Andy Oct 22, 2014

I'm sure the STAR Spain people are very helpful, but you really need to contact the developers in Switzerland, only they can deliver what you want (and have not shown any willingness to do so for several years now!)

Why XLIFF? Oct 23, 2014

wotswot wrote:

The operative phrase being "in combination with STAR CLM"!
I doubt that STAR CLM is an affordable or realistic solution for your average freelance translator; it appears to be aimed at agencies or large companies with an internal translation service.

Richard

Yes, I agree.

Please help me to understand the topic: The standard case is that I receive XLIFF to translate and send back the translated XLIFF. So far, so good, so supported by Transit.

But why should I want to create XLIFF projects as an "average freelance translator"?
Example: When I receive a Word or InDesign for translation, I am expected to deliver translated Word or InDesign documents. What do I need an XLIFF for in this scenario?

O.N.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit NXT into Studio 2014 and back

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »