Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:56
Member (2002)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Topic Oct 23, 2014

Hi O.N.,

The scenario is that I receive a Star package, want to translate it in Studio 2014 and then send it back as a Star package.
My client uses Star and wants the Star package back, not the exported target file.

Andy

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:56
Export of XLIFF was available once Oct 23, 2014

Export of XLIFF was available once, they have removed it.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:56
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
round-tripping Oct 23, 2014

Oiseau noir wrote:

wotswot wrote:

The operative phrase being "in combination with STAR CLM"!
I doubt that STAR CLM is an affordable or realistic solution for your average freelance translator; it appears to be aimed at agencies or large companies with an internal translation service.

Richard

Yes, I agree.

Please help me to understand the topic: The standard case is that I receive XLIFF to translate and send back the translated XLIFF. So far, so good, so supported by Transit.

But why should I want to create XLIFF projects as an "average freelance translator"?
Example: When I receive a Word or InDesign for translation, I am expected to deliver translated Word or InDesign documents. What do I need an XLIFF for in this scenario?

O.N.

Because the average freelance translator might not want to do the actual translation in Transit. Probably because they have a better tool.

Michael

[Edited at 2014-10-23 17:30 GMT]

2nl (X)
Netherlands
There is no ready-made solution Oct 26, 2014

Andy Lemminger wrote:
The scenario is that I receive a Star package, want to translate it in Studio 2014 and then send it back as a Star package.
My client uses Star and wants the Star package back, not the exported target file.

Andy

There is no ready-made solution yet, but if you are willing to get your hands dirty with scripting or have a friend that can develop SDL plug-ins, the solution isn't that difficult. At least, when you don't want to use any reference material in Transit packages (for that you should request a TMX file).

For your inspiration: http://cafetran.wikidot.com/transit

This is how I solved it.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
2nl (X)
Netherlands
Studio > Transit > Studio is supported Feb 4, 2015

Andy Lemminger wrote:

Is there currently an easy way to export Transit NXT projects into Studio 2014, get them done there and reimport them back into Transit?

This is not possible. However, the other way around is possible. Today I received a message from STAR:

Transit/TermStar NXT Service Pack 8

What's new?

• Additional file types supported: Office 2013, InDesign CC 2014, FrameMaker 12, WebVTT and SDLPPX
  • Project exchange: Added flexibility and efficiency, additional project information, even less translation effort for PPX, XLIFF, and SDLPPX

So it works for Studio > Transit > Studio, but not for Transit > Studio > Transit.

• Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit NXT into Studio 2014 and back

Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
    Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »